User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 7.6K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • xbone or don't take the job

interesting choice

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Ben Kuchera almost makes up for his bullshit "no used games make things better" article by investigating the Microsoft's definition of a "family".

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/xbox-one-allows-you-to-share-games-with-ten-family-members-but-some-details

If that's the way out of the PR desaster, I'd have nothing against it.

• It's going to sink, I guarantee it. They aren't even releasing it in Asia - 60% of the world's population - until late 2014.

Don Mattrick is a complete freakin' idiot who couldn't hype up a Mentos and Coke explosion in a firework factory. Perhaps the most revealing thing he's said so far is "the average internet connection is always on... people are imagining that it isn't." Newsflash - "average" does not mean "every."

Installing games before you play them is going to be a long, boring, tedious process. Downloading games is going to be even worse. I have a pretty good connection and it'll still take more than an hour to download a retail title, and the games are only going to get bigger.

The Kinect is a gimmick. I didn't get a Kinect this generation and I simply will not buy a console that forces me to have something I'm not going to use.

If anything good comes from this it's that Xbox Gold members are going to be getting free games on the 360 in the most shameless and transparent attempt at damage control ever seen.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@FatTonyVG said: The Kinect is a gimmick.

Right - and we mustn't forget what all those always on gimmicks mean to the technical potential of the console, particularly processor and RAM usage. That Seven gif which was twice on the last pages spoke of 3 GB of those 8 always used by the OS. That could be an accurate number. :eek:

• I had truthfully not even thought about that. Crikey. It is, after all, an HD camera (and almost certainly the reason the console is $100 more expensive than the PS4).

What's amazing is that the UK price for the One is pretty much identical to the launch price of the 3DO, a console that notoriously flopped largely due to being too expensive.

• @FatTonyVG said: Don Mattrick is a complete freakin' idiot who couldn't hype up a Mentos and Coke explosion in a firework factory. Perhaps the most revealing thing he's said so far is "the average internet connection is always on... people are imagining that it isn't." Newsflash - "average" does not mean "every."

He said that? How do you even measure the average connectivity? Can you just smooth over every household not having an internet connection at all by saying that their connection is 0.2% on? Apart from people having unstable connections or turning their routers off when they go to sleep I'd imagine internet connectivity as discrete values where not having a value of "on" won't do you a whole lot good regardless of what the average might be.

• Oh I'm pretty sure they sell the ONE at a loss at 500$. I even think the price in the UK & Europe is a loss. These companies make up for the loss in game sales. So if you scare away gamers and only people who need a fancy cable box buy it... You are fucked. But hey. You can always do the live gold membership to get some money for basically nothing.

• I strongly think that Microsoft is going to announce a Gold subsidized console that matches or undercuts the PS4 in raw price, but you've got to pay the monthly Gold fee.

• @Darth Marsden said: Can someone staple this guy's mouth shut please?

TBF It cost a lot more to have someone watch me jerk off so its really quite a good price for $500.

Add Comment