User Avatar Image

Will you still play The Walking Dead: The Game Season 2 if Clementine is not in it?

posted by J_Scheff on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

The first season revolves around her, it would be strange for me to play it if she is not there at my side needing my protection.

I would give season 2 a shot, but without the drama and emotional toll caring for and protecting Clem it wont be nearly as good as S1, especially without Lee and Clem.

At any rate, I will be pissed if she is no longer part of TWD game.

84 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @FatTonyVG said: It'd certainly make the zombies seem more intimidating during the occasion first-person moments!

I didn't even think of that! I was just thinking of navigating the world while I'm smaller, shooting a gun, interacting with adults who think I'm "just a kid", and how I'd view the world more innocently. I didn't even think about how the size and strength difference would make the zombies look scarier.

BTW, anyone ever wonder how civilization is supposed to fall apart just because of dead people turning into Walkers? They are slow and stupid and don't even multiply all that fast. The neighbor with the shotgun should be enough to keep the block safe, let alone the local PD, and as to the military, who even needs them? In order for this scenario to be realistic the appearance of the zombie virus should be accompanied by a plague that causes everyone around the world to get slick and die slowly over the course of several days, so they all crawl into their beds because there's no room in hospitals and the doctors are sick too, and a few days later half the people, selected at random, are dead. Soldiers wake up in their barracks one morning to discover that their roommate is eating their entrails, and so on. That would cause society to collapse and allow the kind of chaos and the large Walker population we've seen to actually happen. So the game IMO (I don't know about the comic or TV show) hasn't properly thought out how we go from a few people who die every day all the way to a zombie apocalypse. There's just a missing link, and this plague suggestion would have filled it. You could even make it so the plague was engineered by aliens to get rid of the indigenous population of Earth and turn it into a mindless work-force under their control, if you felt like mixing genres and adding genocidal colonialist aliens as yet another even more colossal threat later down the road, one that might possibly be overcome and might hold the answer to either curing or killing off all the zombies.

• Until I saw posts about it on forums, it never would have crossed my mind that Clementine would be in Season 2. We drop out of her story while she's still alive and there's still hope, that's as much as you can ask for in the Walking Dead universe.

Lee and Clementine are two of the best video game characters ever created, in fact I'd say they're two of the best characters period. The great thing about them and their story is that it has concluded, and nothing that happens moving forward can tarnish it. We'll never get sick of Clementine, and we'll never suddenly have a moment where we start questioning the way she is written, season 1 is a perfect story.

Also, it seems criminal for Telltale to not do what they do and give us fresh characters to care about. Remember when St John grabbed Clem in episode 2 and how angry you felt? That was an episode and a half after you first met her. Telltale can easily make you care just as much about new characters within the first episode of season 2. I will be fun to see new and different character dynamics.

• @PeopleSandwich said: Until I saw posts about it on forums, it never would have crossed my mind that Clementine would be in Season 2. We drop out of her story while she's still alive and there's still hope, that's as much as you can ask for in the Walking Dead universe.

Lee and Clementine are two of the best video game characters ever created, in fact I'd say they're two of the best characters period. The great thing about them and their story is that it has concluded, and nothing that happens moving forward can tarnish it. We'll never get sick of Clementine, and we'll never suddenly have a moment where we start questioning the way she is written, season 1 is a perfect story.

Also, it seems criminal for Telltale to not do what they do and give us fresh characters to care about. Remember when St John grabbed Clem in episode 2 and how angry you felt? That was an episode and a half after you first met her. Telltale can easily make you care just as much about new characters within the first episode of season 2. I will be fun to see new and different character dynamics.

After episode 1 they showed a preview of season 2 which showed Clementine in a field somewhere holding a gun and watching 2 people walking on the top of a hill, ready to shoot them if necessary. Also, episode 5 felt to me like the game was transitioning towards Clementine being the main character, with more and more direct control over her actions, albeit masking it as Lee telling her what to do.

Omid and Christa are to me an example of Telltale failing to present good characters. It's not exactly that there was something wrong with them, but somehow they were missing a certain spark that everyone else seemed to have, and as a result I wasn't able to connect with them and didn't even want to see them at all. In the beginning I still had hope for them, but somehow I feel like it got worse later on. Part of it is that from episode 3 I started to get the sense that everything was futile and outcomes were set in stone and that nothing I did mattered in the end, but even so I liked Chuck, Molly, and even Vernon and the other cancer survivors. I even tolerated Ben more than them, and I like him even less. Telltale can goof.

EDIT: Other than Clementine all other characters would be new or like-new. Lilly could theoretically still be alive, and there's Molly, Vernon, Omid, and Christa. The last three are still pretty close to being strangers, and Lilly would make for an interesting reunion, considering the circumstance under which she left. However, considering how many new characters Telltale threw at us every episode we are likely to see about 10 new characters just for Clementine's group, not to mention all the antagonists, other groups, passersby, and so on.

• @Lestibournes said: After episode 1 they showed a preview of season 2 which showed Clementine in a field somewhere holding a gun and watching 2 people walking on the top of a hill, ready to shoot them if necessary. Also, episode 5 felt to me like the game was transitioning towards Clementine being the main character, with more and more direct control over her actions, albeit masking it as Lee telling her what to do.

Omid and Christa are to me an example of Telltale failing to present good characters. It's not exactly that there was something wrong with them, but somehow they were missing a certain spark that everyone else seemed to have, and as a result I wasn't able to connect with them and didn't even want to see them at all. In the beginning I still had hope for them, but somehow I feel like it got worse later on. Part of it is that from episode 3 I started to get the sense that everything was futile and outcomes were set in stone and that nothing I did mattered in the end, but even so I liked Chuck, Molly, and even Vernon and the other cancer survivors. I even tolerated Ben more than them, and I like him even less. Telltale can goof.

EDIT: Other than Clementine all other characters would be new or like-new. Lilly could theoretically still be alive, and there's Molly, Vernon, Omid, and Christa. The last three are still pretty close to being strangers, and Lilly would make for an interesting reunion, considering the circumstance under which she left. However, considering how many new characters Telltale threw at us every episode we are likely to see about 10 new characters just for Clementine's group, not to mention all the antagonists, other groups, passersby, and so on.

I do agree completely they did a much better job with the original characters than the ones they introduced later in the season. Aside from making Molly a bit far fetched, I thought all the other new characters were solid additions.

I don't think it's ever been stated by anyone that the epilogue with Clem in the field was a preview of Season 2. At the time the game was released they didn't even know they were making a Season 2. It was a brief glimpse for the player (who's only ever seen the world through Lee's eyes) showing that Clem made it out of the city and will be taking the lessons she learned from Lee out into the world. It was the end of her story in my opinion.

• @PeopleSandwich said: I do agree completely they did a much better job with the original characters than the ones they introduced later in the season. Aside from making Molly a bit far fetched, I thought all the other new characters were solid additions.

I don't think it's ever been stated by anyone that the epilogue with Clem in the field was a preview of Season 2. At the time the game was released they didn't even know they were making a Season 2. It was a brief glimpse for the player (who's only ever seen the world through Lee's eyes) showing that Clem made it out of the city and will be taking the lessons she learned from Lee out into the world. It was the end of her story in my opinion.

Then why was it called season 1? From what I read they were planning a series with multiple seasons from the start, although I don't remember the source.

Anyway, I would be disappointed if I didn't get to play as Clementine, but that doesn't mean season 2 has to have her to be good.

• Game was about what Lee saw, so yes i would play without clem. She was not the main just some cute little girl.

• @Lestibournes said: Then why was it called season 1? From what I read they were planning a series with multiple seasons from the start, although I don't remember the source.

Anyway, I would be disappointed if I didn't get to play as Clementine, but that doesn't mean season 2 has to have her to be good.

It wasn't called Season 1, it was called Walking Dead- The Game. It's been referred to as Season 1 in retrospect as we now now there's a new season coming.

I'm not massively opposed to Clem showing up at some point, but playing as a kid would be terrible IMO. She'll have very little sway in a a conversation among a group of strong willed adults, she's in no position to threaten and will command no respect. It would be an absolute blast for something like 400 days for a fraction of an episode facing those kinds of challenges, but not for a full season.

• @PeopleSandwich said: It wasn't called Season 1, it was called Walking Dead- The Game. It's been referred to as Season 1 in retrospect as we now now there's a new season coming.

I'm not massively opposed to Clem showing up at some point, but playing as a kid would be terrible IMO. She'll have very little sway in a a conversation among a group of strong willed adults, she's in no position to threaten and will command no respect. It would be an absolute blast for something like 400 days for a fraction of an episode facing those kinds of challenges, but not for a full season.

So then what we want to play is different, and our expectations for how the game would be with Clem as the main character are also different. Perhaps they could somehow accomplish both of our desires. But you may be right that playing as a kid would just be a novelty that would wear out pretty fast. I can only imagine it lasting one episode before they would either need to change Clem to make her more mature or replace her, but then maybe my imagination is too limited.

At the end of the day, Telltale did an excellent job with season 1. I'll just trust them to do at least as well with season 2, no matter the direction it takes. The Walking Dead is the first zombie story in any media that I liked from beginning to end and was able to stomach enough to see it through to the finish. It's the game that got me to think about zombies and actually like the genre, although that doesn't mean my interest will carry me to other works in the genre, on account of being squeamish and not trusting them to be as good.

• To start off,I'll answer the question,I would play it either way,though I feel it would be interesting if we didn't have Clem with us,sp that we wouldn't have a moral compass,in 400 Days it seems we may not have a moral compass like Clem woth at least a couple of the characters,so I would kind of like to see what people would act like without a child watching over them,making them think about what they're doing.

Basically,I would like to see how people would act if they never had someone like Clem.For example,would a lot more people kill either of the St.John brothers without Clem there.

• @Lestibournes said: So then what we want to play is different, and our expectations for how the game would be with Clem as the main character are also different. Perhaps they could somehow accomplish both of our desires. But you may be right that playing as a kid would just be a novelty that would wear out pretty fast. I can only imagine it lasting one episode before they would either need to change Clem to make her more mature or replace her, but then maybe my imagination is too limited.

At the end of the day, Telltale did an excellent job with season 1. I'll just trust them to do at least as well with season 2, no matter the direction it takes. The Walking Dead is the first zombie story in any media that I liked from beginning to end and was able to stomach enough to see it through to the finish. It's the game that got me to think about zombies and actually like the genre, although that doesn't mean my interest will carry me to other works in the genre, on account of being squeamish and not trusting them to be as good.

If you are a bit squeamish then maybe not the TV show,but the Comics isn't as bad considering it is just a comic,but the story in the comic is amazing,IMO that and the story of this game are equal,the TV show though in my opinion,isn't as good as either of them,but it is still okay.

P.S. Sorry about making two posts one after the other,it is because they are on two different matters.

Add Comment