User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 7.7K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: I'm hearing rumours (IE: it's been mentioned in several articles reporting this) that the reversal has been planned for months. If that's true, then holy shit that's a hell of a marketing tactic.

Cannot have been planned that long. They wouldn't have this huge conference and E3 with this DRM shit when they planned the reversal already.

• Yeah, even if they were forced not to hint at the reversal, I don't think they would have planned two entire conferences primarily around features that they were going to axe.

Then again, maybe that's why they were so unclear on the details

• @Darth Marsden said: I'm hearing rumours (IE: it's been mentioned in several articles reporting this) that the reversal has been planned for months. If that's true, then holy shit that's a hell of a marketing tactic.

I kinda figured that's what happened. After all, any publicity is good publicity, and the Xbox One has been on everyone's mind ever since Adam Orth, if not sooner once the initial "always on" rumors started pouring out. They couldn't have asked for more publicity than this.

If that's the case, Microsoft needs to fire its marketing department.

Speaking of rumours, sources are starting to report that family sharing would have only been an hour long demo for your family members, not access to the full game.

• @der_ketzer said: Cannot have been planned that long. They wouldn't have this huge conference and E3 with this DRM shit when they planned the reversal already.

Yeah. This couldn't have been a marketing tactic. The vast majority of users go by their first impression. Playing the win-me-over card would have been an awful, awful decision. It doesn't really matter whether it was planned or they really were going to implement those features. They deserve to lose either way.

Horrible horrible choices on their part.

• Hehe his name is Phil Fish.

• @Darth Marsden said: Headline says it all.

Phil Fish - Microsoft doesn't want indies on XBox One(80)

They do. But only if they will sell 6 Million copies or more.

• @Darth Marsden said: Headline says it all.

Phil Fish - Microsoft doesn't want indies on XBox One(80)

What are you talking about? Minecraft is literally the entire indie scene! True story.

• I get the feeling that Microsoft is trying to change for the better, but they're doing it in the worst possible way. XBLIG was a few genuinely good games in a sea of poorly made, low quality Minecraft ripoffs, avatar games, and other stuff made in a weekend and sold for a dollar. Instead of enforcing some kind of standard of quality, they kill the entire idea of XBLIG. Problem solved in the worst possible way. How about people complaining about the $10,000 patch fee? This is a legitimate problem they could easily solve by lowering the patch fee for Arcade developers. But Microsoft decides "well, they'll be able to afford the patch fee if they have a publisher, so from now on, all indie developers MUST have a publisher". Problem solved in the worst possible way.

Add Comment