86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @RichWalk23 said: I don't like to compete with the two since they both belong in different genres, and as for my opinion I think they're both equally good in their own right.

Hmmm thinking about what you said, I change my opinion. I think they are equally good in different ways.

On the emotional level for me, personally the Walking Dead is a bit ahead of the Last of Us. But in terms of gameplay, you can't deny the fact, that the Last of Us gives you more control about how you'll make your way through the apocalypse. Supply management, is practically, with the exception of feeding people in E2 non-existent in TWD, whereas TLoU forces you to survive with what you have, clearly in terms of survival TLoU dominates, again in my opinion.
    Sneaking past enemies, tactical firefights, or stealthy suffocating enemies... it's up to you. The Walking Dead though has a linear "fighting" "system"... point and click, it's not bad per se, but each and every time exactly the same, which is not to everyone's likings. In terms of story the decisions let you tailor your own experience, that is not possible in the Last of Us. Would you combine TWD's choices and emotions, with TLoU's different possibilities, of dealing with enemies and its supply management, the survival elements etc., I think you'd have a game, that'd easily beat both of them.

• I would love to play it, but I don't have a PS3, watching Pewdie playing it tho, and this far it doesn't beat TWD.

• Are you guys serious?
    TWD was a very emotional game, with nice dialogue.
    The Last Of Us is exactly that with about ten times better dialogue and still emotion, even if not as much. It has beautiful graphics, and considering TWD was my second favorite game of all time (one below MGS4), and now The Last Of Us is my favorite, I'd say it was fairly better than The Walking Dead. If a game like The Walking Dead was said it was better because of it's emotion only, it would be a bit silly, wouldn't it? TWD is an amazing game, I speak about it all the time, and it will ALWAYS be a reference to me about how much a game can leave you awestruck and make you think on your feet, but The Last Of Us has that same emotional impact, amazing story, beautiful graphics, nice gameplay and game feel, and was quite humorous actually.

• No, The Walking Dead is the masterpiece here.

• I've not played TLoU, so my opinion isn't yet valid, but in my view TWD still wins. It is better with dialogue, with story plot, character development, and emotion. While The Last of Us is an incredible game, and probably the best of 2013 if Telltale can't keep it's title going, I still think TWD game was better. Graphics means little to me, and Telltale's was still good and had a nice theme being related to the comics. Gameplay is in the eye of the beholder, and although the mechanics of TLoU is outstanding, it is not necessary for a good game. For me, I'd enjoy a game that is like an interactive book; you write your own story, and the main focus is the dialogue, the character development, the storyline, while the visual and audio effects just solidify the equation. So while TLoU is surely breathtaking, in my sights TWD is just a little bit better.

• @Mark$man said: I've not played TLoU, so my opinion isn't yet valid, but in my view TWD still wins. It is better with dialogue, with story plot, character development, and emotion. While The Last of Us is an incredible game, and probably the best of 2013 if Telltale can't keep it's title going, I still think TWD game was better. Graphics means little to me, and Telltale's was still good and had a nice theme being related to the comics. Gameplay is in the eye of the beholder, and although the mechanics of TLoU is outstanding, it is not necessary for a good game. For me, I'd enjoy a game that is like an interactive book; you write your own story, and the main focus is the dialogue, the character development, the storyline, while the visual and audio effects just solidify the equation. So while TLoU is surely breathtaking, in my sights TWD is just a little bit better.

You say your opinion isn't yet valid, yet you still think it wins? Whaaaaaat-
    What I'm getting at is TLOU has all that adding in more. And while I LOVE LOVE LOVE Clementine and Lee, Ellie is easily the most developed character ever. How she reacts to Joel, how she goes through the seasons of the game, and what she does is purely amazing. I'm not"attacking" or "hating" on TWD, I just think TLOU is better for the reason TWD was, but it does it even greater. For me at least.

• @CTCCoco said: No, The Walking Dead is the masterpiece here.

And The Last Of Us isn't?

• Sorry guys, I'm going with The Last Of Us. Still like TWD though.

• I guess it all depends on the individual.

• I've just finished The Last of Us(and then beat it again on Survivor mode, what a nightmare), and first i will say that i personally enjoy The Walking Dead's gameplay more than TLoU. This is only because I've played games similar to TLoU before(Uncharted/Batman Arkham Asylum/Splinter Cell Conviction), and while the stealth-or-run&gun gameplay is obviously very different, it's still somewhat the same(that's not a bad thing, though). TWD was completely new to me.

Regarding characters... in TLoU, most of the time when an important character died, i didn't feel much. I was sad of course, but i didn't feel as bad as i did when Carley/Kenny/Ben died in TWD, for example. The characters in TLoU don't have as much development in my opinion, with the exception of Joel and Ellie of course. I literally have no idea who the other characters are, i don't know how they got to be in the situations they were in, and most importantly(for me) i don't know how these characters came to know Joel. He greets them as old pals/acquaintances and I'm left in the dark. It's not totally necessary for all of these details to be there, but in TWD, you know exactly how everyone meets Lee. There are no characters that Lee already knows about that you don't, and so it's much easier for me to form a bond with them. In TLoU, half the characters you meet already have some sort of pre-established relationship with Joel that we never learn about, and it's more difficult for me to care for them because of that.

About the main characters...I like Lee better than Joel, mostly because he can be shaped at our own will. If we want him to be a jerk who's rude and callous to everyone, he can be. He can also be a pure saint, who always cares for others, or he can anywhere in between. Joel's character is set in stone, he's a rough man with a troubled past, and will do anything to get what he wants(and then some). That's not necessarily a bad thing, but i personally prefer Lee because he can adapt to my own personal tastes.

Comparing Clementine to Ellie, i again must say i prefer TWD. Clementine starts the apocalypse with a disadvantage, she's an innocent child thrust into a world of chaos. Ellie was born in the post apocalyptic world, she has no idea what it was like before the infection appeared, and thus doesn't know the devastating feeling of losing everything you know. Clem went through that, but still manages to remain hopeful in a desolate and dangerous world. On top of that, i feel that Clem went through many more traumatizing experiences than Ellie. She comes within inches of death on more than one occasion, and she experiences the loss of people that both she and Lee know and cared for, and she witnessed her own parents demise(and then Lee himself).

Furthermore, Clem is merely 9 years old. Ellie is 14, and thus more capable at performing dangerous tasks than Clem can. Ellie begins the game with a dominant, somewhat cocky attitude. She makes it loud and clear that she can protect herself, and isn't phased by how the world is. She demands weapons early on and frequently involves herself in dangerous situations. Clem on the other hand is much more passive, she doesn't know the world she lives in, and is reluctant to use weapons or get anywhere near the action. I worried much more about protecting Clem because i knew she couldn't defend herself, and you don't get that with Ellie.

Lastly, throughout TWD you frequently attempt to keep Clem's hopes alive, you're always trying to calm her and tell her that things will get better, that everything's going to be okay. You as Lee must keep her spirit from shattering, which is a tough task during a zombie apocalypse. This is completely opposite with Ellie, she already knows how dangerous the world is and is confident with her abilities before you even begin your journey. You almost never have to comfort her because she stands strong on her own.

Because of all those points, i just feel more emotionally connected to Clem than Ellie. With Clem I'm thinking "this girl needs me, she can break at any moment", and with Ellie I'm thinking "this girl can handle herself, this world will not shake her". It's probably just me, but that's why i like Clem better than Ellie.

All of those points may seem heavily biased toward TWD, but that's mostly because i don't want to spoil anything for TLoU. Both of them are fantastic games, and if you own a PS3 and have the money to spare, get The Last of Us, you won't regret it.

There are swarms of games out there for the mindless fun many of us go to them for, but in my opinion it takes a true masterpiece to evoke strong emotional connections to a fictional universe, and The Walking Dead surpasses The Last of Us in that respect, ever so slightly.

TL;DR I like The Walking Dead slightly better than The Last of Us, but both are great games.

Add Comment