User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 5.1K users

Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.

687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's so surreal, since XBLA basically brought about the modern concept of an "Indie Game." But the industry has evolved far too much since then for Microsoft to recapture that without evolving too

• @LuigiHann said: It's so surreal, since XBLA basically brought about the modern concept of an "Indie Game

The Indie Games Festival has been in existence since 1998, and Darwinia predates the Xbox 360 by over 8 months. Here is a blog post about indie games from the summer of 2004.

• It definitely brought them more into the spotlight of mainstream gamers who normally wouldn't even hear of them.

• I made a point to say "modern concept" because indie games have always been a thing on PC, so the 360 definitely didn't invent that, but I feel like the way we use the term now is influenced quite a bit by their presence on consoles. Thanks for the info on how far back the phrase goes, I wasn't sure how long ago it came into use.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

So, rumors are going around that Microsoft is going to announce indie self-publishing at the Build conference. I suppose we'll see if there's any substance to these rumors in a few days.

• @Syd said: So, rumors are going around that Microsoft is going to announce indie self-publishing at the Build conference. I suppose we'll see if there's any substance to these rumors in a few days.

Considering that many independant developers seems to have some kind of horror story of working with Microsoft, would that even help?

• @Gibbeynator said: Considering that many independant developers seems to have some kind of horror story of working with Microsoft, would that even help?

No self-publishing is literally THE reason people have horror stories in the first place, some might even say the ONLY reason. Here is an excellent article on the matter, I highly recommend reading it.

• @Rather Dashing said: No self-publishing is literally THE reason people have horror stories in the first place, some might even say the ONLY reason. Here is an excellent article on the matter, I highly recommend reading it.

But is self publishing going to solve the $10,000 patch fee problem? Or Microsoft screwing the developer over on advertising? Microsoft has never been kind to indie developers that aren't Notch.

• It's true that Microsoft allowing self-publishing on their platform will not remove all problems with the platform. Microsoft will still have the patching issue, it will still rebuff attempts to ALLOW developers to give free content updates to their own games, it will still have weird requirements for achievements, and it will still be denying developers the ability to set their own prices and run promotions.

BUT, they'll have also removed the biggest and most corrupt barrier to entry in terms of Xbox One digital games, and that's a big deal. With PC, Xbox, and Playstation next gen all having the same architecture, ports are not going to be a difficult thing, and removing the requirement that a developer MUST share their revenue with a publisher ON ALL PLATFORMS just to get on Xbox would mean that MS have taken away the one thing which makes not releasing on Xbox AT ALL seem like a better way to go.

• The grand Microsoft backpedal continues. Remember Games with Gold and how we all laughed at the pitiful selection of games? Games with Gold has launched with the flagship game of Defense Grid, and an excuse that Microsoft never actually said that Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 would be the first games out the gate.

Add Comment