User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 15.7K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MtnPeak said: Armikrog is not political in any way.

You're right, as far as I can tell from the project description and updates, and I probably shouldn't have written that.

@MtnPeak said: With all due respect, I believe your comment is a shameful and dishonest one.

You're welcome to your opinion and it was not meant as a bashing of the game itself. It looks very interesting. I think it's fair that people are aware of TenNapel's controversial views before they decide on whether or not they want to back his project though.

@MtnPeak said: I would suggest that TenNapel is being singled out for being an American conservative who is outspoken in his views. People are taking his comments out of context and are analyzing every posted comment he has made over the years to try to decipher if it was off-color or offensive apparently in an effort to smear and discredit him. I can think of many outspoken left-leaning game developers who have expressed all kinds of political opinions online and who have not received any of the scrutiny that TenNapel has received. Honestly, I think the overblown reaction to TenNapel's views says more about the people doing the smearing than it says about TenNapel.

I'm not up to date with the possible smearing campaign that has been going on. My opinion of TenNapel is based solely on things he has written, and as far as I can tell he didn't really need any help in smearing his reputation.

It could be that I react more strongly to his views because I'm from a country where even our right wing political parties are mostly to the left of what's considered left wing in the US in regards to a lot of political issues. I'm mostly concerned with treating people of both genders, different sexual orientations and different ethnicities with respect, and that's somewhere I believe TenNapel fails, regardless of your political stance.

@MtnPeak said: If no one else here will do so, then I will take this opportunity to applaud TenNapel for the classy way he has conducted himself throughout this campaign. He seems like an honest, principled, brave, passionate and obviously immensely talented individual. It is very easy to espouse political opinions among people with similar views, and TenNapel had to know how many intolerant people in his profession would respond to his very reasonable opinions. Big kudos to him for being unafraid to say what he believes is right.

I don't know if that's necessarily something to applaud him for.

As for the rest of your post, I can't comment on the smearing as I know nothing about it. I don't agree that the opinions of the creator is irrelevant though. There's nothing wrong in not wanting to support a person whose ideals rubs you the wrong way. I don't want to give my hard earned money to someone I don't like, so that they can live out their dream. If someone else does, fine. It doesn't concern me.

@MtnPeak said: Imagine if you found yourself in a situation where your career was under attack because people didn't like your opinions.

I'd consider if there might be something inherently wrong about my opinions. If not, I'd probably be better off choosing a different career for myself.

• Flesk, I appreciate the thoughtful reply. I probably misinterpreted the intent of your comment. Let's just say that I've become a little sensitive after seeing the, well, unique and disappointing reaction on various sites to what should be a no-brainer "must support" Kickstarter campaign. I mean, take a look at the games these guys have worked on. It hardly gets better than this.

And, now, a word from the Coles of the Hero-U project, who win the award for the most unbelievably classless, unnecessary, self-indulgent bit of "look at us, we support gay mariage" grandstanding in a pseudo-endorsement plug I've ever seen in one of these KS updates. They are seriously posting disclaimers regarding the political opinions of a member of another project? Yes, folks, it has come to this. They'd have been better off saying nothing:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/520094
    There are just over two days to go on Armikrog (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog), which has so far raised $700K of its $900K ask. This is a stop-motion-animated adventure game from the creators of Earthworm Jim. The lead artist (Doug Ten Napel) has raised some controversy unrelated to the project with comments against gay marriage. If this is an important concern to you, you will have to decide whether you want to back Armikrog. Personally, I am backing at a minimum level just to keep up with the game's progress. The art style and proposed game play look amazing.

Imagine if someone wrote in a Kickstarter update, "here's another project you might be interested, but, be warned, their programmer once contributed to a gay marriage campaign!"

Very low of them.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@MtnPeak said: I would suggest that TenNapel is being singled out for being an American conservative who is outspoken in his views.

While that might be true, you can't really walk around with the "hey, I happen to be accidentally born in the most superior country in the world and that's why I rock" attitude and then pitch an adventure game crowd funding project to people in Europe, where these games actually sell. If TenNapel wants to go into politics and have his fake smiling face and thumbs up gesture on a poster in the next Republican campaign, sure beans, why not. But he just happens to be outspoken on a couple of views that are extremely unpopular in Europe, and if anything, that is just plain stupid in the present situation and would of course bite him in the ass.

@MtnPeak said: People are taking his comments out of context and are analyzing every posted comment he has made over the years to try to decipher if it was off-color or offensive apparently in an effort to smear and discredit him.

There is no 'smear campaign' that I know of. There might have been a smear campaign (yet that rather was an uproar) two years ago when his views came to light. What happens now can only be an analysis of his most extreme comments, those he made after long discussions which might have started out with more reasoned arguments; and that is because only the extreme comments survived as TenNapel himself has deleted the reported exchange from his ratfist website. Again, possibly an understandable move; again, in light of the Kickstarter, an infinitely stupid one.

@MtnPeak said: Many Armikrog backers on KS have reported similar things in their efforts to promote the game.

I grok that fans have to 'promote' crowd funding campaigns in their various social networks, although I sometimes find the modes to not be particularly classy. And when such a 'promoter' posts in a forum in which people are aware of TenNapel's political views and would not back because of them (a valid thing to do), how could the actual addressees of the promotion keep quiet about the matter? Of course there is a 'backlash' to report back to kickstarter. How could there not be?

@MtnPeak said: Is this the new standard in judging the worth of Kickstarter campaigns? We are going to publicize and draw as much attention as possible to the political opinions of individual team members? Or is it only fair game to do this when they are conservatives?

First of all, by mere fact, Kickstarters (as opposed to crowd funding campaigns in general) work out when the names attached to the project ring a bell. You support less the game and more the name. You support the people you actually like. The Tims, Jordans, Charles and Ragnars. Of course those names are under extreme scrutiny, of course their views are. Had I found articles about Tim Schafer raving around with that "bestest country, bestest religion, bestest sexual preference" bullshit, I wouldn't have only boycotted his Kickstarter. Yup, I possibly would have tried to make sure that no one in her or his right mind would support him; and that is because the information would have personally hurt me.

Armikrog. (never forget the point, dudes! ;) ) still needs 150,000$. Judging from past Kickstarter campaigns, that will be doable although Thursday might be an awful strain of nerves. I don't really know if I wish them success. At least I don't wish them failure.

• @Vainamoinen said:
    First of all, by mere fact, Kickstarters (as opposed to crowd funding campaigns in general) work out when the names attached to the project ring a bell. You support less the game and more the name. The Tims, Jordans, Charles and Ragnars. Of course those names are under extreme scrutiny, of course their views are. Had I found articles about Tim Schafer raving around with that "bestest country, bestest religion, bestest sexual preference" bullshit, I wouldn't have only boycotted his Kickstarter. Yup, I would have tried to make sure that no one in her or his right mind would support him.

I suggest you avoid learning about any political views of anyone who makes the stuff you buy. You are going to find yourself with a very limited range of options. Seems you were very interested in DT's online comments to take the time to gather all that info. Hope it was worth it to you in your Kickstarter selection process.

And it's unfortunate that you mischaracterize DT's posts with the immature "bestest" line. You know, some people have sincere differences of opinion with regard to culture and the role of government. My suggestion to you is that you try to realize that good and reasonable people can disagree on political and cultural issues and still want what's best for society.

What your response basically says is that people who disagree with you deserve to be ostracized, and you will do your best to help facilitate that ostracism.

I ask you, with respect: is that any way to get along with people or to support talented game developers?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@MtnPeak said: My suggestion to you is that you try to realize that good and reasonable people can disagree on political and cultural issues and still want what's best for society.

When political and cultural views do nothing but to present one group as the best and only valid one to the exclusion of others, society's best interests are never ever met.

@MtnPeak said: What your response basically says is that people who disagree with you deserve to be ostracized, and you will do your best to help facilitate that ostracism.

Ostracism is the problem here. But it's not my problem, it's the central problem with TenNapel's political view system. I have no interest in the Armikrog. project or its makers. I am not personally involved, so Doug TenNapel could not have disappointed me with his political views, hence I'm not in the mood of spreading the info like maybe others do. But I am very interested in the video game industry, so of course I read the political comments of its members should they wish to promote their political beliefs with the authority they have in fact gained as members of that industry.

@MtnPeak said: I ask you, with respect: is that any way to get along with people or to support talented game developers?

If those game developers would like to distribute their games globally, I reserve the right to demand their global perspective. As for the 'getting along' part: If some peoples' political views are so incredibly geared towards the exclusion of large groups of other people, they shouldn't feel so god damn attacked by the resulting protest. I love humans, and I don't care at all whether they're bisexual, buddhist or Bolivian. I get along with them extraordinarily well.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@DAISHI said: Please Pay Attention.

This researcher wants to investigate the correlations between tighter gun controls, gun violence and overall regulation. NRA activism has generally made it difficult to conduct this sort of research, and the results can have significant impacts on public awareness and public policy toward guns.

Because of the lack of funding she's crowdsourcing it on Microyza, 25,000 in 100 days. Please spread the word on this important project!

https://www.microryza.com/projects/gun-control-research-project

Mission: Success.

• Awesome. More research can't be a bad thing.

• I'm not going to defend Tennapel's politics, and I'm particularly annoyed by the false equivalency of suggesting that "homophobic" is a slur and that he's being unfairly picked on or something. It's really lame. So I'm not going to complain if people are choosing not to support him.

But today's the last day of the Armikrog drive, and they're teetering really close now to looking like they'll make it. So if anyone is still on the fence and leaning towards supporting the art despite the artist, now is the time.

• I just realised these Kickstarters are ending soon!

(Guess I'll have to do a little money juggling tomorrow to make sure I have enough in there! XD)

• Great that the Reloaded Larry game is release today, it'll be my first backed project to come to full fruition.

Add Comment