User Avatar Image

Steam codes for Telltale-website bought titles?

posted by Borracho on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

Hi,

I wanted to ask, if I've bought all these games through Telltale.com, is it possible to get Steam codes for them as well, so that I can also link them to my Steam account?

Thank you very much!

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Freshness333 said: I was wondering if I could get a steam code for my version of the walking dead season 1... I bought it back in November full price from this Telltale website and downloaded it. then I recently got steam after already buying the walking dead through this site. I was able to add it as a "non-steam" game, so it's in my list of games, but all the achievements, and game background, and the cool stuff like that doesn't show up with it, steam pretty much just launches the application for me... is there anyway to get a steam code for my game? or am I stuck just using the "non-steam" version the way I have it?
    Thanks!

The Steam version and Telltale store version of The Walking Dead are separate purchases, and it's not possible to get Steam achievements in non-Steam games (whichever outlet you get them from).

• i had a feeling that was the case... thanks for you answer though! i wasn't sure if it was possible, and i had to ask, but i had a feeling you would say that... that's ok, the game still rocks without the little extra stuff through steam... i'm trying to get a free steam version by watching you guys play season 1, so hopefully i can enter the code quick enough!! if not, well, it's fine, i still have season 1 and i'll just buy 400 days through telltale's site again if i have to... :) i'm not one to normally complain about things, but i had to ask...
    thanks again!!!

• any chance of a steam key for the strong bad games? as much as i like it i'd rather not buy another copy for my steam library

• User Avatar Image
    MattP Bloggers

We no longer offer Steam codes fro Strongbad. I apologize for the inconvenience.

• Am I correct, if the information, that I've gathered on these forums; that you don't offer and additional CD-key for activation on Steam? If you do, I would very much like one, as it's nice to collect all of my games in one big collection. I had almost forgot that I had this game, until I saw the new DLC and scurried my emails for signs of my purchase.

• User Avatar Image
    Uka

OK, you say you no longer offer Steam codes for The Walking Dead and Strongbad.
    And what about other games, like Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Bone? I used to buy them in CD versions from here, and now it would be nice to have them in Steam as well - without buying them second times...

• Same here. I'm starting to use steam and it seems logical to me that we would have an easy way to activate our telltale purchased games on it. I have no idea about how licensing works, and i don't know if it would be realistic to ask for all my games to be activated on steam for free, but seems to me that at least a huge discount would be fair.

Also, i don't really understand what was all that talk about steam promotions around a year ago. I'd like someone at telltale to please explain clearly what would be needed to get my games at steam without paying full amount, if possible (or direct me to a post where this has already been explained if that's the case, with my apologies). If you're actually offering steam codes for games other than Strongbad, i'd like to know how can i apply for mine.

Oh, and keep doing great games -just in case i haven't already asked for enough in this post :)

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

Let me start by quoting one of my answers in a different thread:
    @Macfly77 said: Telltale does not usually provide Steam keys to customers who bought their games from the Telltale Store.
    There have been a few exceptions to this rule, the two main ones being providing Steam keys to people who bought the original Poker Night from the Telltale Store and to early adopters of the Telltale Store version of The Devil's Playhouse, the reason being that they came with unlockable Team Fortress 2 items (Steam cross-game unlocks are probably the reason why Poker Night 2 is not available in the Telltale Store).
    At this time, those are the two games for which Telltale Store customers can get free Steam keys.
    When the first episode of the Walking Dead was released, an issue prevented the Telltale Store version from being released at the same time as the Steam version and Telltale offered Steam keys to people who'd pre-ordered the game from the Telltale Store to make up for the wait.
    Finally, at the end of last year, MattP got access to a limited number of keys for Jurassic Park and the two Puzzle Agent games. They were given away between December 22, 2011 and January 2, 2012.

• Ok, so Telltale and Steam versions are different purchases, and Telltale doesn't give Steam keys apart from exceptions, got it. But, is it really too much to ask for some way to get a discount? I don't want to be rude or insistent, and i'm aware that i've already got some neat free stuff from Telltale. I've been recently playing the Walking Dead DLC i got for free. And it hasn't been the first free Telltale release. I appreciate that. Also, there's no need to buy the games on steam to play them, so it's not really that important. It's not a huge complain for me. But still, it's not fair having to pay full amount twice if we want to integrate the games we already have on steam. If it's just not possible to get a discount for telltale customers, please EXPLAIN WHY. Steam's doing discounts all the time. They have the possibility of coupons. I don't see why couldn't it be arranged.

Also, how can i put this... If Telltale's getting a gain for steam purchases, it's not... moral. I've already paid the full price for 7 seasons and 3 more games. Let's face it; nowadays, no one's forced to do that. Whatever game, book, movie, music, just whatever non-physical thing you want, you can get for free really easily, with no consequences. The only thing that can stop one to do that is where you stand morally speaking. I think that good work deserves recognition and payment, so i've always bought Telltale's games, among other games i love, and always will (no matter what happens with this Steam detail, of course... just in case it needed to be said), not because i HAVE to, but because i WANT to. What i'm saying is whatever recognition Telltale deserved from me for the games i played, i already gave it. Having that in mind, if the only way i have to get those games into my Steam account implies paying Telltale more, no matter what free stuff i got, no matter how reasonable its prices are, it's... i feel weird telling this to a company, but... it's just not nice. It's not fair.

I have this unfounded idea (because i've never been much into the forums) that the Telltale staff can be reasoned with in this kind of terms. Am i right?

(Also, i have to say that i don't mean this as an attack in any way. If i can't get my games on Steam, i will forget about this matter and keep waiting for your next great game. It just feels strongly like i should be able to get on Steam the games i have more easily that someone that hasn't already bought them, that's all)

• disappointing... bought the game thinking i would be able to register it on steam and have access to the achievements... no idea why some of these telltale games will register with steam and others wont.

Add Comment