User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 15.6K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well, there's still time (and PayPal), so who knows.

Also, regarding A Vampyre Story: Year One's just not a game that people want. Most people tended to skip the original game (myself included - I tried to play it so I could review it and barely lasted an hour before I gave up), and those who did actually play it just wanted the story to continue.

NOBODY was crying out for a prequel. NO-ONE. It just... it seemed like a really bizarre set-up for a game, like it was pretty much all Tiller could actually do thanks to rights or something. But he completely failed to take into account whether it was a thing people really wanted, and I think that's the main reason why it's going to fail.

Also not helping matters was Mona's voice. As I said a while back when the Kickstarter first launched, her new voice is better, but still not exactly good. French accents are hard, and they're not going about it the right way.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: NOBODY was crying out for a prequel. NO-ONE.

Quoting Laserschwert:

@Darth Marsden said: I really don't have high hopes for the AVS kickstarter. I mean, a game with an unfinished story gets a prequel that's only going to be the first episode out of four? Why would anyone want such a pile of uncompleteness? I'm really not going to back that, as much as I love Tiller's artworks.

That's it, seriously. Game devs MUST LEARN to tell self contained, complete stories and not try to fuck the player and his wallet with continuous cliffhanger/prequel/sequel paradigms until it's finally clear that the story was never even meant to have a beginning, a middle and an end. Dissatisfaction and lack of closure: guaranteed.

This pitch is plain shit. :(

• @LuigiHann said: I think the interest level was just way too low. Nobody played the original Vampire Story and those who did weren't looking for a prequel. I think he would have had better luck if he started from scratch and promoted a new adventure from the artist behind Curse of Monkey Island

It's called Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island and it's terrible. The artwork is great but the characters are unlikeable. The accents are terrible. I don't feel a strong attachment to any of the protagonists; the closest one to being heroic is the girl pirate but characterization is bad and split between three figures, so you feel invested in none of them. He's a good artist but a bad story teller.

Also, sometimes I feel a lot of these developers really think they're the hot shit because of what they did a decade ago.

• @DAISHI said: It's called Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island and it's terrible. The artwork is great but the characters are unlikeable. The accents are terrible. I don't feel a strong attachment to any of the protagonists; the closest one to being heroic is the girl pirate but characterization is bad and split between three figures, so you feel invested in none of them. He's a good artist but a bad story teller.

I'm just saying, if he had pitched the premise of Ghost Pirates as a kickstarter (assuming the original Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island never existed), he would totally have gotten it funded. Not saying that it would have been good, but it would have gotten people interested enough. I totally understand his desire to expand a universe that he has a lot of ideas for, but it would have been wise to go with a much more standalone side-story, if not something totally new.

I haven't actually played any of this guy's games, but it does seem like he'd benefit hugely from aligning himself with an established writer.

• I personally think there's ways to tell an interesting prequel. But this one didn't sound interesting. It sounded dull. Seems I was not alone with this assessment.

I replayed first half of a Vampyre Story this week. It's not as bad as I remember. Mona's voice is passable, she just needs to talk less. Heck, they all need to talk less. The game has a lot of dialog and it gets boring fast. Only a third of the jokes are funny, the rest are way too corny or predictable, so there's plenty of eyerolling. (I even had this idea to make a mod that cuts some lines and simplifies a puzzle or two.)

There's a lot of walking around and solving puzzles just for the sake of solving puzzles. The characters aren't too bad, they just don't have much to do. There's not much of a goal, just a lot of busywork. In fact, the info on the prequel is pretty vague with the overall goal too. Remember when you had to save a lady from a demon ghost zombie pirate? Or that time you used time travel to stop a mutated tentacle from taking over the world? Exciting, eh? What's A Vampyre Story:Year One about? Oh, right, stopping three bats from bullying another bat. And maybe something with a talking lady spider. And in the same castle we had in the previous games, but with a bunch of new rooms. Seriously? Who wants that?

• Let's say a Kickstarter game campaign successfully meets its funding goal. Then, nearly 8 months later and without having almost anything of the game to show to backers, the game developer mentions that he's considering a SECOND Kickstarter for the same game, since it looks like he'd probably need more money to successfully complete the game.

That essentially describes Corey Cole of the Hero-U project. I am a backer, but I'm starting to have doubts about the development team.

Surely a second Kickstarter in this way would be unprecedented.

How would you all react? Would it be no big deal if it means a better game? Would it lower Cole's standing in your eyes?

My reaction would be: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

No... it would, pretty much, be outrageous. When you're doing a Kickstarter , you're supposed to name a very specific number, one that says "with this money, we can do it". This is one of the central characteristics of Kickstarter as opposed to other crowd funding platforms. Crowd funding normally is "we're doing this, who's in?"; Kickstarter is "If you're in, we can do this". The Kickstarter guys specifically demand that you set this bar so high that the project WILL be finished.

If you find out you need significantly more money for your project... you haven't been an able project manager when you set up the project, you should have known that this is not your area of expertise, and you shouldn't have made the Kickstarter. :(

• It would lower not only Hero-U's reputation, but also that of the team behind it and, as a knock-on effect, it would lower the public's trust in Kickstarter's crowdfunding method - if one project does this, what's to stop others?

Bad as it would be, I'd rather they admit defeat and end the project than launch an additional Kickstarter. People would be upset, sure, but better that then insulted.

• @MtnPeak said: Surely a second Kickstarter in this way would be unprecedented.

No, it's really not. Hell, when I read what you wrote I thought you were talking about the second Dropsy campaign.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: It would lower not only Hero-U's reputation, but also that of the team behind it and, as a knock-on effect, it would lower the public's trust in Kickstarter's crowdfunding method - if one project does this, what's to stop others?

It was bound to happen eventually. Not every project can succeed and not every creative 'name' in the game industry does well on the steering wheel.

Again: Kickstarter has put these rules in place to absolutely ensure that the goal reached means that the project is completed. This is a risky prescription for them to devise: some 'flexible funding' platforms do not even know 'failed campaigns'. Every single dollar pledged goes towards the project, and the platform gets its share of every single dollar, but can of course not be held liable for whatever the campaign host does or does not do with the money.

Kickstarter's inflexibility in that respect is a bold decision that has quite some advantages for the pledger. When popular project organizers - like the Coles - start failing to deliver on their promises despite Kickstarter's rare concern for actually seeing all projects through, the platform is naturally damaged more than others. Looking at Kickstarter's singular success with my rising concern about their dominance in the market, I would have welcomed very visible dents in their chassis. Yet not in an area that actually is Kickstarter's strength and geared towards the pledger.

Add Comment