User Avatar Image

How Do You Feel About Telltale's Direction?

posted by Alcoremortis on - last edited - Viewed by 4.3K users

Just like the good old days, back when a simple discussion of who the best male and female users on the forum were could turn into half the people here changing their avatars to eyevatars... and still seem perfectly natural.

I miss those days.

293 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Telltale admitted that they found feelies to be a pain to administer, but I can't help thinking that back in the day they could have farmed them out to enthusiatic fans. That wouldn't happen now.

(Also, I can't listen to the Sam & Max mini-CD any more. All I've got is side-loading CD drives :( )

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Well, there still are 'feelies' from Telltale, but they're not available in the store any more. Of course, while one game is hyped, it makes sense to give out bonus feelies for it, like the Clementine hat. Keepin them available in a store for the duration of 'the foreseeable future'... that's a different thing.

• Man, there is such a bias out there against more traditional style point and click games. It seems like it's trendy to bash these games for having anything but a super simplified interface and very easy puzzles.

Given this, it was Telltale's constant talk of "evolving" or "fixing" a supposed "broken" genre that really ticked me off. Felt like they were kicking a genre when it was down and doing it in a self-serving way, then pretending to be its savior. This, more than Telltale's direction away from traditional style adventures and towards interactive movies (ok, fine, they want to do new things) is what REALLY irritated me.

I am fine with their direction, since there are others making adventure games, but I'm not fine with how they have presented their change of direction to the gaming news media and to customers. It seems they've been quite effective at convincing many in gaming journalism that traditional point and clicks are dead. More than any other company Telltale has fostered and furthered negative feelings toward traditional adventure games.

I understand this thread is about Telltale's direction, but I feel like you need to also talk about the direction of adventure gaming as a whole and also the unfortunate bias against adventure games that aren't Telltale-style interactive movies. It's all related. You have people reviewing traditional style adventure games and bashing the games (but really bashing the genre), when they probably never enjoyed these kinds of games to begin with.

This makes me sad, to be honest.

• @tim333 said: I made a piece of art and an essay to express my feelings on this topic.

Very well said. This is exactly how I feel.

Look, I am a big KQ fan. Think of how it was for us. Telltale got the license then started on about how they wanted to move on from supposedly "old" style and niche to mainstream pop culture and without any of that supposedly irritating adventure gamey puzzle stuff that people used to play. They were so dismissive about KQ, an icon of traditional adventure game. (Don't forget that KQ sold over 7 million copies)

It felt like Telltale wasn't showing respect to these classics. It felt they were insulting such games. Was hard to square that with their "we're the heirs to the adventure game legacy" malarkey.

Telltale used to act like they were carrying on the spirit of true adventure gaming, and now it feels like they're throwing away their old customers without much concern. Boy, are we really that disposable? Are we really that insignificant?

If you think I'm exaggerating, just look at how they said nothing about KQ for a long time, ignoring fans, then announced the cancelation like it was nothing. It felt cruel, I'm telling you! Haha. It became kind of funny after awhile waiting for them to acknowledge KQ and its fans.

Btw, I write all these comments from my phone using dictation, so don't expect masterpieces!

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@MtnPeak said: Given this, it was Telltale's constant talk of [...] "fixing" a supposed "broken" genre that really ticked me off. [...] It seems they've been quite effective at convincing many in gaming journalism that traditional point and clicks are dead.

This does not only border on delusion. These claims take the hurdle with a swift leap and safely arrive in the conspiracy theory realm of the 'eats babies' paradigm.

• I think it should face east.

• @Vainamoinen said: This does not only border on delusion. These claims take the hurdle with a swift leap and safely arrive in the conspiracy theory realm of the 'eats babies' paradigm.

You're trying too hard to sound witty and to dismiss how I feel about what Telltale reps have said the last few years. Is "snarky" the only mode you post in? Maybe you need help finding your "snark off" switch. It's exhausting and tiresome after awhile.

Anyway, you're entitled to your incorrect opinion, but I know what I've read. It is clear the message that was being sent: traditional adventure games are flawed and are in need of fixing and evolving; we are the future of adventure gaming. In doing this, Telltale helped popularize the (sometimes unfair) complaints about traditional adventure games. They didn't create the criticisms, but they made them a lot more commonplace.

It is a real problem. Traditional point and clicks face a disadvantage from the get go due to the negative connotations associated with them. You have people who never really played or enjoyed these games knowing what they're "supposed" to say about them and what the popular complaints are.

• @Chyron8472 said: As I said, it's due to lack of meeting expectation. We want them to make adventure games, and when they don't we assert that they can't anymore, when really it's just that they don't want to.

I say they couldn't make inspired, amazing adventure games even IF they wanted to. They get no benefit of the doubt from me! :)

Anyway, it's not easy making a truly great adventure game with challenging gameplay.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@MtnPeak said: You're trying too hard to sound witty and to dismiss how I feel about what Telltale reps have said the last few years. Is "snarky" the only mode you post in? Maybe you need help finding your "snark off" switch. It's exhausting and tiresome after awhile.

You're trying too hard to construct factual sounding allegations out of what effectively only is "a feeling" on your side. We might be better served if you sticked to facts instead of making up your own reality. What we're trying to find here is your "alternate reality off" switch here, because that's the exceedingly exhausting and tiresome thing.

• @Vainamoinen said: What we're trying to find here is your "alternate reality off" switch here, because that's the exceedingly exhausting and tiresome thing.

Especialy if it's one of those alternate relates where the hero's are evil and rule the world.

justice-lords-doomsday.jpg?w=532

Add Comment