1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Secret Fawful said: Play the Oracle games?

I'm not into dancing.
    :D

• Yeah, Fawful... sounds like you should learn German.

Honestly, I never played any of the Leisure Suit Larry games... so I haven't the foggiest about what's going on. Okay, I do have the foggiest... but nothing clearer than that.

• @Alcoremortis said: Yeah, Fawful... sounds like you should learn German.

Honestly, I never played any of the Leisure Suit Larry games... so I haven't the foggiest about what's going on. Okay, I do have the foggiest... but nothing clearer than that.

It's not that they're the GREATEST. I just enjoy playing a game about a loser that every woman hates who is trying to find love. And I really don't mind low brow humor at all, as long as it's funny. I can laugh at Larry Laffer. Larry Lovage can eat a dick. Magna Cum Laude and Box Office Bust are stupid, and I don't know how I feel about 6 and 7 because I haven't played them, but 1, 2, and 3 are all right.

If you play a Larry game, you're going to be insulted by airheads, you're going to feel like a complete loser, you're going to get flashed by a guy in a trenchcoat, you're going to get a venereal disease and die if you don't use a condom, you're going to stop an evil spy plot, you're going to get dumped a lot, you're going to be assassinated by lady assassins, you're going to be unable to leave a locker room if you don't lock your clothes in a locker because they'll get stolen- and you're definitely not going to feel like Larry is some kind of ideal man. Also you can use your pants zipper on things. It's irreverent, and I love things that are irreverent.

I just waved my penis at a whale, and he said he wasn't in the mood for brine shrimp.

• I played LSL7 several times and loved it.

• A problem I have with later Larry games is that eventually they became less about a humorous low brow adventure with a lovable loser, and more about showing big tits. The Reloaded version of Larry falls into this a bit, too, which bugs me a bit. I mean, the AGI games had nudity, but it felt like a part of the humor when it happened, whereas in later games it feels cheap and forced in.

I've heard conflicting things about how 7 handles this.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Larry Laffer is fun to play as, since he's a loveable loser. He's not just looking for a one night stand, but for love (he can get the former in the first game, but the adventure continues since he realizes he wants more than that). Even in the games after the original trilogy, Larry still retains his search for true love (even though he's thought he found it and lost it three times by that point (Well, I can't speak for 7, since I haven't played it yet, but Larry is still his loveable loser self in 5 and 6).

That, I think, is where the biggest disconnect happens between Larry Laffer and Larry Loveage. The Loveage games were just about a cheap thrill, but the Laffer games had substance beyond the nudity and low-brow humor.

• @Secret Fawful said: King's Quest? Ridiculous. That game is archaic. Nobody does that anymore.

Speak for yourself.

• @S5andrl5 said: I've been wondering what the difference is between "a massive crush" and being in love.

Why are so many people asking that here!? Did the Stalker union join the forum?

:o

• @Chyron8472 said: Speak for yourself.

No, I'm speaking for DAISHI. You see, he said that exact thing about Super Metroid, and since then I have been sarcastically quoting that as much as possible, especially in response to him.

@Chyron8472 said: Larry Laffer is fun to play as, since he's a loveable loser. He's not just looking for a one night stand, but for love (he can get the former in the first game, but the adventure continues since he realizes he wants more than that). Even in the games after the original trilogy, Larry still retains his search for true love (even though he's thought he found it and lost it three times by that point (Well, I can't speak for 7, since I haven't played it yet, but Larry is still his loveable loser self in 5 and 6).

That, I think, is where the biggest disconnect happens between Larry Laffer and Larry Loveage. The Loveage games were just about a cheap thrill, but the Laffer games had substance beyond the nudity and low-brow humor.

That's the human aspect, which every good comedy needs.

This discussion has been closed.