User Avatar Image

I actually liked Ben

posted by HarjKS on - last edited - Viewed by 433 users

Yeah I know, shocking isn't it? In fact he's one of my favourite character he's also the most realistic imo. I thought all the stuff he did wasn't great, but at least understandable.

What did you think of Ben? Also don't play that "he killed everyone" card because by now it's plainly obvious he didn't.

65 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @HarjKS said: While there are obvious implications that the writers may have chosen certain scenarios to let Ben continually be annoying to the group, however I would never go as far to say the game wanted you to hate him.

Maybe it's just me, but i think they purposely made characters like Ben and Larry to go directly against you, and then see if you're willing to put all that behind you to save their life. Evidently many people don't, judging by the even split among both those decisions.

I would most likely be similar to Ben if i were in that setting. I probably wouldn't do such insane things as dealing with bandits, but i might screw up something major. I feel for Ben because of that, and if i were in his shoes it would suck being hated by so many people.

• That is one of the many reasons I saved him, I felt like I was killing myself in a way.

• @Mornai said: Maybe it's just me, but i think they purposely made characters like Ben and Larry to go directly against you, and then see if you're willing to put all that behind you to save their life. Evidently many people don't, judging by the even split among both those decisions

I think you're right with that, the game was like a test about how far you'd go if certain things were on the line, and about your morality.
    Then in the end, the stranger was like a mirror, all your actions and decisions were listed, or most of them - think of it as a self-reflection.
    That said, I think Ben and Larry, and the decisions you had to made concerning them were no coincidences, probably it was all made that way with exactly that intention, from the very beginning. As you said, I think they really do serve a bigger purpose than it perhaps seems at first.

• @HarjKS said: Clementine technically got Kenny, Lee, Chuck, Ben, and Brie killed. However I honestly don't count any of these.

Ben apparently got Duck and Katjaa (Which I don't count) Brie (I count that)
    Molly (Detriment so it's un-counted for plus we never see her die) Kenny (Don't count)

I can't really think of anyone else, but I know there's more for Ben.

Agree. But Brie? No, You can leave Clementine in house and go to Crawford without her.

• Wait, getting kidnapped equates to getting Kenny and Ben killed?

That blood's on the stranger's hands. Not Clementine's.

• I think that Ben had the most realistic personality. Yes, he did screw up, but he did mean well. If you really think about it, how many of you would be able to keep a straight head after watching people around you get killed in the most brutal ways? I'd like to say I would be a total bada*&@ and kill every walker I see without hesitation, but in real life, I would probably be a wreck and let everyone else make all the choices.

• @Randomosity said: I think that Ben had the most realistic personality. Yes, he did screw up, but he did mean well. If you really think about it, how many of you would be able to keep a straight head after watching people around you get killed in the most brutal ways? I'd like to say I would be a total bada*&@ and kill every walker I see without hesitation, but in real life, I would probably be a wreck and let everyone else make all the choices.

If I were in Ben shoes I'd also be quite useless, I'd be scared and wouldn't know what to do. But you know what I wouldn't do? I wouldn't be as much as a dick as Ben was. After everything I did I would NEVER act so horrible. I know he was stressed out and aggravated but if you can't be useful you'd think he'd at least try to be nice. I'd also try harder then he did (eg when he was tasked to look after Clementine). Similarly I would never make a deal with the bandits or at least I'd tell Lee about it if I did.

• I liked Ben.

He was quite a realistic character. Being a shy teenager surrounded by a group of people you don't know who dislike you and see you as just another mouth to feed while your only surviving companion is dying (David/Travis)

If he had some support who knows what might've happened, instead the group never truly accepted him.

However I do find certain points in Ep 4 stupid (such as the scene where Ben takes the axe between the doors) It's like TellTale wanted us to hate him for the choice that comes afterwards :/

• What I think of Ben? Meh. He was alright, I got frustrated at him at times but I wasn't angry at him for getting Carley/Doug, Duck, Katjaa, Chuck, Brie, Kenny will to live, Kenny, Himself killed... Ok maybe I was but the one thing is that in episode 4 he left Clem to die. Sure Clem isn't Ben's responsibility but he was there he could have helped her or protected but he didn't he ran away. I also hated his attitude in episode 4 yet I pulled him up, I sort of felt sorry for him, he just wanted to die because he thought the rest of the group hated him and he wanted to sacrifice himself so the rest of the group could escape. I also pulled him up because of Clem since she counted him as her friend and stuck up for him when voting, wait a second Ben needs a 9 year old girl to stick up for him?! I guess I saw a little bit of myself in Ben's character since if I was in his situation I would mess a lot of things up and I've said this before! So yeah that's what I think of Ben.

• @CarScar said: If I were in Ben shoes I'd also be quite useless, I'd be scared and wouldn't know what to do. But you know what I wouldn't do? I wouldn't be as much as a dick as Ben was.

I think his guilt plus Kenny wanting him dead kinda justified his attitude...

Add Comment