User Avatar Image

Rate the Last Game You Finished

posted by DrRocketGenius on - last edited - Viewed by 7.2K users

Title says it all. Rate the last video game you completed.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 9.5/10

835 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'd say that spoilers are only really a bad thing if they totally change the entire outlook on the movie. Like Fight Club. Nobody should ever spoil Fight Club... no statute of limitations, whatever. Because if you know the ending, the rest of the movie becomes far less enjoyable... in fact, I'd go so far as to say that the ending more or less makes the movie memorable and unique.

Other things, not so much. I knew the ending of Lord of the Rings going in, didn't ruin the enjoyment of it any. I mean, it's the type of story where you know what's going to happen. The good guys are going to win, knowing that for certain doesn't change the enjoyment of the journey there.

Same thing with video games. The fun of a game is... playing the game. I knew how Portal was going to end up, I'd been online long enough to hear "the cake is a lie" spammed at me at every turn, but it still totally caught me off guard when it happened in game because of the interactive qualities that were absent in being casually informed of the ending. Games are a different experience, it's not just knowing... it's doing.

• @Alcoremortis said: Same thing with video games. The fun of a game is... playing the game. I knew how Portal was going to end up, I'd been online long enough to hear "the cake is a lie" spammed at me at every turn, but it still totally caught me off guard when it happened in game because of the interactive qualities that were absent in being casually informed of the ending. Games are a different experience, it's not just knowing... it's doing.

Thank you. My point exactly. I have enjoyed so many things that I knew how they end. The journey to the end is always more important than the end itself.

Also spoiling the end might not even be the worst thing.
    I could tell you the end for "The Last Of Us". I could tell you about the whole break of character that happens there just to have a shitty and disappointing ending. But I would never tell you about the last 2-3 hours before that because they are what make this game great. just getting there is a pain in the ass. And then they ruin it completely.

• *sigh*

Can we please not do this? It's a really stupid thing to get hung up on.

When you're dealing with things that could be considered spoilers, the courteous thing to do is to put the appropriate text inside spoiler tags. Please bear this in mind - but also be aware that there is a 'statute of limitations', for lack of a better phrase. Long story short, if in doubt - tag it.

Insulting other forum members is never cool - unless you're joking. And sometimes even then, too.

And finally - can we get back on topic please? Thanks.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

[SIZE=\"1000000000\"]TL;DR: use spoiler tags[/SIZE]

• I finished The Walking Dead, episode 1 today.

Yeah, it's barely a game. I literally have no idea why it's so popular. Sure, the decision making is pretty cool ( I saved the kid and Doug), but there isn't really much more to the game then that.

I won't be playing the rest of the series any time soon.

3/10

• @Friar said: Sure, the decision making is pretty cool ( I saved the kid and Doug)

There is no way to not save the kid. One of the game's many artificial decisions.

• Rogue Legacy

I did it! I finally beat the game! :D
    17 hours, a shitton of characters, but I just beat the final boss.

I really like this game.
    Probably the best rogue inspired game I've played since The Binding of Isaac.
    (But its a randomly generated platformer like Castlevania)

Now there's New game+ to tackle. But I think for now at least I can focus on something else to play! :D

Rating: 8/10

• @Friar said: I finished The Walking Dead, episode 1 today.

Yeah, it's barely a game. I literally have no idea why it's so popular. Sure, the decision making is pretty cool ( I saved the kid and Doug), but there isn't really much more to the game then that.

I won't be playing the rest of the series any time soon.

3/10

It's because the characters and plot are well written(well most of them), if you don't really care for that, then yeah Walking Dead is not something you'd enjoy. Which would bring up the question on why did you buy it in the first place? I thought it'd be pretty obvious by now that is what was popular and not the gameplay.

• Because Friar never listens to me as he should.

• Well that, and it was part of that humble bundle a while back.

I thought I'd love a story-driven game. I used to love the chose your own adventure books. But I guess I forgot I hate zombie movies and such.

Add Comment