70 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Most companies never release their source code. It'd be sort of ridiculous to expect one to release the source to their games while they're still active.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

8-} I NEED a Sam & Max fix, I don't care what format it's in! All I care about is that it gets done before summer time, cuz winter is gona be boring!

• You know, I was just thinking, I wonder when Telltale is going to make an official announcement about the news? I would have thought we would have seen something about it from them already.

• Maybe Steve Purcell has something to announce regarding Spudvision or other Sam & Max plans, so they're going to co-ordinate the press release and leverage off the combined publicity.

Or they're waiting to close up efforts around, or are too busy with, Out From Boneville (publicity, support etc).

Or maybe they're going to wait until they have some Sam & Max models etc made that can be used as accompanying screenshots to give the press release a little more visual pizazz...

• I really hope the Spudvision.com store doesn't include anything good or my wallet will have plenty of breathing room for a good while.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Most companies never release their source code. It'd be sort of ridiculous to expect one to release the source to their games while they're still active.[/quote]

Revolution and AdventureSoft have both released code to ScummVM, and both are still in business. Other than that, Passfield Games have managed somehow to retain the rights to the old Binary Illusions game FoTAQ and released source to ScummVM. The same goes for Discworld where even if the original company is out of business, Terry Pratchett himself managed to find a way to authorize a source release.

• Look, I won't argue with you anymore. Revolution releasing the source code to the very old BASS for fan emulation is not even close to what you're suggesting Telltale do. You are not being realistic. If you seriously think Telltale will just release source code to their games while they're still actively selling them you should brace yourself for some disappointment.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Look, I won't argue with you anymore. Revolution releasing the source code to the very old BASS for fan emulation is not even close to what you're suggesting Telltale do.[/quote]
    How? All I'm asking is that if they don't feel like porting it to themselves, they should release the source - possibly under a closed license - to a community-based team willing to do the porting for free under an NDA and gather up the resulting engines here on their website for download to monitor the interest in alternative platforms.

I am not expecting nor even asking for a truly F/OSS engine source release until after the game has been commercially discontinued, and I most definitely am not asking for the data files to be released at any time (though it'd be nice maybe 10-15 years down the road as a nod to the fans).

Unless Telltale decides to do the porting themselves, or release the source under an NDA to a closed group of community developers, what I am asking of Telltale is exactly the same that Revolution did with the more recent Broken Sword or what AdventureSoft did with Feeble Files: release the engine source only (not the data files) for open source porting once the game is off the shelves. And I didn't even ask those other companies to do it.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

YAY! I"m about to make a startling revalation. Wait....never mind, it's just my hernia playing up.

A) The reason we have seen no official word about S M apart from the reveal, is because they are in full marketing swing over Bone. The last thing they want is that sort of news overshadowing the shiny new business / franchise agreement they've made with Bone, that would be contractually insensitive to the license, so to speak...

B) How about an episodic (or not) downloadable version of the game, that can be freely backed up, with online activation. Then, as a kicker, they could release a special COLLECTORS EDITION of the "base" executable and first adventure. or even release a limited retail version every 3 episodes or so, so if there were 9 episodes you'd have 3 volumes in retail. The purchase base is already there, it would FLY off the shelves regardless of the state of the industry, it would sell quickly.

C) My friend is 19, and she is ADDICTED to the old-school point and clicks. Her dad got her into them; the older gen of gamers is starting to have kids, and raise them in their own twisted image. I would, but I don't want kids just yet. There is still hope for the industry, and in this world of FPS and WWII and SPORTS SEQUELS, the PnC adventure will rise again. Yea verily it will, mark my words. Or ignore them. I'm right tho.

D) There is no D.

E) See A) ......(EA? Shoot me)

Cheers for reading.
    Uncle Dave

Add Comment