15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What he said.

    Basically, if there was any major or small gaming company even remotely interested in public domaining their stuff, they would have done it a long time ago, and even then, putting something in public domain doesn't mean squat, as each country has different rulings with public domain, which is part of the reason licenses like CC0 and WTFPL exist.

  • @GaryCXJk said: What he said.

    Basically, if there was any major or small gaming company even remotely interested in public domaining their stuff, they would have done it a long time ago, and even then, putting something in public domain doesn't mean squat, as each country has different rulings with public domain, which is part of the reason licenses like CC0 and WTFPL exist.



    It means remixing. Its a first.

  • ...That title REALLY needs some fixing.

  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

    Looking at it, there's a bunch of music but only two actual games - and one of those is just the source code.

  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

    I was asked to fix the title. I fixed the title.

  • @GaryCXJk said: What he said.

    Basically, if there was any major or small gaming company even remotely interested in public domaining their stuff, they would have done it a long time ago, and even then, putting something in public domain doesn't mean squat, as each country has different rulings with public domain, which is part of the reason licenses like CC0 and WTFPL exist.



    Somebody has to be the first and now it has become a reality.Cause the campaign is successful

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @TheBigGuns said: Somebody has to be the first and now it has become a reality.Cause the campaign is successful


    This isn't the first. For instance, there's projects like Freedoom that are distributed with a Modified BSD license that allows using the freedoom art, music, and sound effects in another project (and allows for modification of those assets as well), as long as you don't use the Freedoom name or the name of any of their contributors as promotion for your product without permission (which, in my opinion, is common sense, and common courtesy anyway).

  • @Jennifer said: This isn't the first. For instance, there's projects like Freedoom that are distributed with a Modified BSD license that allows using the freedoom art, music, and sound effects in another project (and allows for modification of those assets as well), as long as you don't use the Freedoom name or the name of any of their contributors as promotion for your product without permission (which, in my opinion, is common sense, and common courtesy anyway).



    Not as free as CC0

  • You can now download the bundle http://open.commonly.cc/
    You can do whatever you want with the assets including commercial use pretty awesome

Add Comment