User Avatar Image

So LucasArts license on Sam & Max has expired right?

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

shouldnt we all be running around jumping for joy now that telltale can acquire the license.. bone will be a huge success..which will lead to us finally getting the sam and max game we've waited for for so long.. or has recent history made us all jaded abt the whole thing :-/

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote]Well I have finally caved and bought it on ebay. I had to have it in time for a present for my boyfriend as it's our 7 year anniversary in under a month. If they re-print it then it will be annoying but at least I know the Sam N Max love is spreading again[/quote]

Did you get an original version, or a version in or from a compilation? There is a major sound issue on at least one particular re-release; the 'classic adventures' compilation with Sam & Max & Day Of The Tentacle on the one CD.

Edit: Please ignore this post. I am an idiot.

• In addition to Purcell, I think the game was primarily written by Stemmle as well as some other writers on the team like Brendan...not sure who else. I suppose that would make it LucasArts property.

If the engine really was the problem, maybe all the other stuff like artwork, designs, and voice recordings would be easier to get. Or I'm totally wrong about the whole thing. Gotta have something to wish for!

• [quote][quote]Well I have finally caved and bought it on ebay. I had to have it in time for a present for my boyfriend as it's our 7 year anniversary in under a month. If they re-print it then it will be annoying but at least I know the Sam N Max love is spreading again[/quote]

Did you get an original version, or a version in or from a compilation? There is a major sound issue on at least one particular re-release; the 'classic adventures' compilation with Sam & Max & Day Of The Tentacle on the one CD.[/quote]
    I'll say there is a sound issue. ;) Actually, I think she was talking about buying the comic book, but it's okay because no one would expect the comic to be a talkie anyway.

• Comic Book? [:">]

Heh. Should have read it more carefully. Move along, you may go about your business...

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

if Lucasarts was paying them to work on that freelance police material I doubt they could re-use it in a new game.. I guess we'll just have to picture how funny it was in our minds :((

with the Telltale Now model it really would suit a Sam and Max game though, because we could just download 1 case at a time.. and if they included a long running arc it would encourage people to buy future installments

• Yeah, I love how they were going for an episodic model with that game. Supposedly they were going to offer downloadable cases after the game's release as well. Who knows how LucasArts would have handled that.

Early on Telltale mentioned that they'd rather go for multiple games that stood on their own without depending on another, but I think you can make self-contained games that tell a big story.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Okay, so the rights of Sam & Max are back to Steve Purcell? So what is stopping him from getting the source code, and all graphics to the unfinished game? Lucasarts should still have the source code and everything.

• As discussed earlier in this thread LucasArts owns that code, and it has bits and pieces of in-house engines that LucasArts probably don't want other developers to have.

Who knows, it seems like at one point Bad-Brain were in negotiations to buy that code, but they didn't get too far, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that LucasArts could one day be convinced to sell it.

But I'd still imagine a more realistic solution if that particular Sam & Max game is ever to see the light of day would be to buy some of the assetts (models, voice recodings, story) from LucasArts and rebuild the game on a new engine.

• Steve Purcell only owns the characters. All work done on the game itself is property of LucasArts.

EDIT: I'm late.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

But they no longer have the rights to release it.

Add Comment