1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Little brother Amnesia is joined by big brother Penumbra Collection today on GOG. This first-person horror game collection can be yours for the launch price of $4.99. Also, Spelunky! No, you can't buy it yet. GOG would just like to let you know that Spelunky is coming soon and comes with a soundtrack and 28 avatars.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Gibbeynator said: Also, Spelunky! No, you can't buy it yet. GOG would just like to let you know that Spelunky is coming soon and comes with a soundtrack and 28 avatars.

Spelunky is quite excellent and I highly recommend it to anyone, as long as they don't get too frustrated with dying often. There's a link to the free version on Spelunky's GOG page if you want to give the original 2008 release a whirl.

Do take note that the recently-announced daily challenge mode is Steam-exclusive, so the GOG version will not have that game mode.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Syd said: Spelunky is quite excellent and I highly recommend it to anyone, as long as they don't get too frustrated with dying often.

Wellllll... it depends. How does it play with a keyboard? How are the respawn and save points placed? I've no trouble with dying often if a successful two minutes aren't ruined. :p

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Vainamoinen said: Wellllll... it depends. How does it play with a keyboard?

As far as I've heard, the keyboard controls are fine, but since it is a 2D platformer, so I would still definitely recommend a controller (I play the original with a 360 controller). From what I've seen in videos, the new HD-ified version will default to similar keyboard binds that the original defaulted with, so you can treat the original free version as a demo of sorts to see how it feels to you.

How are the respawn and save points placed? I've no trouble with dying often if a successful two minutes aren't ruined. :p

Spelunky is heavy on the roguelike elements. The levels are randomly generated. and once you die, you have to start over. There's one item in the game that will respawn you upon death, but it's expensive, difficult to find, and has a hidden special use you'd probably want to save it for.

On the flipside, a successful Spelunky run from start to finish typically only takes anywhere from 30 minutes to about an hour, depending on if you shoot straight towards Olmec or if you go for some of the secret stuff that's only in this remade version. Just don't expect to beat it too often. It's not an easy game.

This "What is Spelunky?" page on the official website does a nice job explaining the game, as well as including a quote one from of the IGF judges at the bottom of the page that I think does a better job than I could of explaining the game's appeal.

• @Vainamoinen said: Wellllll... it depends. How does it play with a keyboard?

Spleunky was originally a PC-only freeware game which you can still download at the game's official site. The version that is releasing on GOG soon is the enhanced port that went to Xbox Live and PSN. This is the game's return home. It's entirely fair to say it was originally designed specifically for a keyboard.

• @Vainamoinen said: Wellllll... it depends. How does it play with a keyboard? How are the respawn and save points placed? I've no trouble with dying often if a successful two minutes aren't ruined. :p

Well it's normally starting you over. BUT. if you meet certain conditions you can create shortcuts at the end of the areas.
    To see all in the game you will need to get good enough to play through it all in one go though.

• Welcome to Indie Gem Promo day, where you can get Dyad (also known as fully legal hallucinogenics) for only $3.74. And that's it. Nothing else of importance happened today. Nothing at all. Certainly not that Rise of the Triad remake that's $14.99.

• Hey, if you were one of the people who bought Jack Keane 2 and wondered "who are these characters? I wish I could know more about them", then wonder no more! You can now get the original Jack Keane game through GOG for the launch price of $4.99. Also, you can pre-order the thrilling border-guard sim Papers, Please for $9.99. Glory to Arstotzka.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I want to recommend this - and in many ways I do - but I know that down the line it'll be 75% off.

• Be sure to get in on the indie action this weekend with the Indie Action weekend deal. Take 60% off a bunch of indie developed platformers-with-physics, some kind of indie third person shooters and whatever Symphony counts as.

Add Comment