User Avatar Image

So LucasArts license on Sam & Max has expired right?

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

shouldnt we all be running around jumping for joy now that telltale can acquire the license.. bone will be a huge success..which will lead to us finally getting the sam and max game we've waited for for so long.. or has recent history made us all jaded abt the whole thing :-/

30 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No, but they do have the right to keep everything and not sell it off. Whether it's for business reasons (wanting the engine) or out of being stubborn, they can keep the resources and let 'em rot if they want to.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

It's must be because they're stubborn. Purcell is never going to give them the rights back, and LEC refused to sell Bad Brain the code to make money, so yeah...

• "Purcell is never going to give them the rights back"

Umm, no he's not, but they're (LEC) never going to want the rights back anyway.

It's simply good business sense not to give competitors (ie Bad Brain) your source code. You can call it stubbornness if you like. But franky I'm very relieved Bad-Brain missed out, I really don't trust them.

And imagine what idiots LucasArts would look if their unfinished game was wrapped up by a 3rd party & went on to being a mega-hit. The easy way to avoid such embarrasing situations is to keep hole of the code.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

True, Bad Brain did seem rather... unproffesional. But I was just psyched that someone was trying to get the Freelance Police data.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

He hee, yes it's the comic book I bought. We've got a few copies of the original game because we bought it alone and then in a few packs, and even an "XP friendly" one towards the end. I even have it installed on my IPAQ thanks to scummVM.

Whilst the first game is sheer genius I am really upset that a S&M game is so near to completion by the adventure gods LucasArts and with no plans for release.

It's such a shame, why must they continue to make mediocre star wars games and shun what they are really good at. Anyway it's not proper for us to badmouth a rival company on our good host's site but I think it's true :-/

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'm not trying to bad mouth them. They did a fine job and I'm very happy they did it.

I just mean they seemed to get a bit caught up in it and couldn't restrain themselves from talking about it (possibly too much). And now they seem to have agreed to make a lot of different games even without much of a team, and none of them seem to be showing a lot of progress (I could be wrong, though).

• [quote]I just mean they seemed to get a bit caught up in it and couldn't restrain themselves from talking about it (possibly too much). And now they seem to have agreed to make a lot of different games even without much of a team, and none of them seem to be showing a lot of progress (I could be wrong, though).[/quote]

Or he/they just wisened up and learnt from past errors. Less hype might just equal more work being done.

• http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6021

[quote]Regarding the recent kerfuffle over a new Sam & Max title in development at LucasArts but subsequently cancelled, Purcell is relatively sanguine: "While at Pixar I was consulting on Sam & Max 2 after hours. I got word that it was cancelled from the team but the subsequent fan backlash was an unexpected side effect. Thirty thousand people signed the online petition protesting the decision. I had no idea there had been that level of anticipation for the game."

Finally, Steve concludes his comments with equivocation about whether his involvement in the game industry is completely behind him: "Would I get back into games? Sure. The [Sam & Max] license is back in in my hands now so we'll see what happens in the near future. In the meantime, when I'm not working at Pixar, I'm exploring other bizarre concepts, doing some painting, and cobbling together material for my website which will be called Spudvision.com."[/quote]

:D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

awesome get JP..that quote from steve is music to my ears..and the canine and rabbit thingy's.. they are back home with steve :D

Add Comment