User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 9.4K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @HelloCthulhu said: I don't know if this still counts, but: Star Citizen.

I'm not an authority on what counts, but if we may mention games that are crowd funding through other means it's also worth mentioning Wayward Manor by Neil Gaiman, author of the Sandman series.

In the game you will be playing a ghost whose mission is to scare away the people who live in the house you haunt. The game is based on an idea Gaiman has had for a while, but never was able to work into a book.

The game will be developed by The Odd Gentlemen, the developers behind The Misadventures of P. B. Winterbottom. I really liked the style of that game, and I'm excited to see what they can do with this concept. Not to mention how excited I am to get a chance to play a game with Gaiman's writing.

If the name Neil Gaiman and the title Sandman doesn't ring any bells, he's also the writer of American Gods, Neverwhere, Coraline and co-author of Good Omens (with Terry Pratchet) among other things.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@flesk said: I'm not an authority on what counts, but if we may mention games that are crowd funding through other means

The title doesn't even say 'games'. But it now says 'crowd funding' as well. Because, frankly, we don't want Kickstarter to gain any kind of monopoly over crowd funded game projects, we really do not.

• @Darth Marsden said: A reminder of Alice: Otherlands, which is currently at $142K. It needs to reach $200K within the next four days. I'm hoping it does - it's such an interesting concept.

Wait, whoa, wait, what, wait, why, TSUI HARK!?

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Secret Fawful said: Wait, whoa, wait, what, wait, why, TSUI HARK!?

Yup.

• @Vainamoinen said: The title doesn't even say 'games'. But it now says 'crowd funding' as well. Because, frankly, we don't want Kickstarter to gain any kind of monopoly over crowd funded game projects, we really do not.

True, and there's precedence for posting IndieGoGo campains already.

There's a campaign on IndieGoGo for a point and click adventure game called Fran Bow. The protagonist is a girl who is traumatized when her parents are brutally murdered and the game starts out with you trying to escape from a mental hospital.

I played through the demo a few days ago and the game looks very promising. There's a few minor issues in the demo, like the playable character facing the wrong way when interacting with objects, some typos and the interface being a bit clunky. Overall I really enjoyed it though, and I hope it succeeds.

The concept of being able to switch between a regular and "nightmare" version of each room, and have each version of the room contain items of importance is very cool. It's a bit like Lily Looking Through in that, only that LLT doesn't have a bunch of decapitated animals in it. Not in the demo at least.

• Not on kickstarter, but has anyone else funded Wayward Manor? It's Neil Gaiman (Game-n?)'s first game, and it sounds pretty awesome.

• Hah, I just mentioned it further up on this page! :p Yeah, it looks pretty awesome.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@flesk said: The concept of being able to switch between a regular and "nightmare" version of each room, and have each version of the room contain items of importance is very cool. It's a bit like Lily Looking Through in that, only that LLT doesn't have a bunch of decapitated animals in it. Not in the demo at least.

That sounds passingly familiar to Trilby's Notes. Or possibly Silent Hill, but that's a stretch.

• @flesk said: Hah, I just mentioned it further up on this page! :p Yeah, it looks pretty awesome.

Come to think of it, I think here is where I first heard of it, looking at your post. I should really pay attention to the finer derails.

:p

• @Darth Marsden said: That sounds passingly familiar to Trilby's Notes. Or possibly Silent Hill, but that's a stretch.

Quite possible. I only played up until 7 Days a Skeptic of the Chzo Mythos so far and never played Silent Hill, so I wouldn't know. I recommend playing the Fran Bow demo though. It only takes about an hour and is a nice teaser.

Add Comment