User Avatar Image

Fav recent game?

posted by Heatherlee on - last edited - Viewed by 538 users

I know that everyone here is a tru-blue fan of the classic LucasArts adventure games. But out of my own curiosity, what are your favorite adventure games of the last few years?

I've dabbled with many but not gotten very far. Which are the ones worth playing?

Heather

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Um... ok... all I have to say is World of Warcraft. Simply amazing.[/quote]
    Why's that?

• I still refuse to pay for a game on a monthly basis. I want to buy something and be able to play it online free forever. Like diablo II or Neverwinter Nights. I will hold out till the bitter end. Too many online rpgs these days anyway. The only way I'd play would be if I landed one of those jobs being a mod or something. The beta tests are nice too. Play for free for a while.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

You obviously haven't played the game if you're saying that.

• sounds more like your hopelessly addicted

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Believe it or not, but I actually do have a life. I used to share the same view about not paying more for a game I already paid for, but some things are actually worth a try. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

• I've seen it at a friends house so I know what it's like so I can knock it :p

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

If there is anything I've learnt from the simpsons it's that good waffles always stick together. I'm not sure if that helps settle this argument.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

speaking of recent games... did anyone here played Psychonauts yet??? Im very curious about it......

• lol your right burn. the bbs isn't quite the place to argue over this stuff. I wonder where a good place would be..... :p

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

There haven't been many adventure games in the past ... five years ... that have caught my eye enough to buy *and* play all the way through...

But I did play Syberia and was bored stiff. It seems crazy that they put so much detail into the artwork only to turn around and not let you touch or investigate *any* of it, unless it was crucial to advancing to the next puzzle.

I also played Longest Journey, which I really enjoyed, aside from the opening which I thought was incredibly slow. After being spoiled by the LucasArts games (especially Schafer's), which were brilliant at dropping you right into the middle of what's going on - filling you in on the bare bones necessary to motivate you to get going, and then filling in the rest later - TLJ's hours of dialogue-tree-as-exposition (with the occasional filler puzzle involving cramping and uncramping hoses in your yard) made me put the game down for a while... Fortunately I was convinced to play it the rest of the way through, because it does eventually pick up.

It's not at all recent, but the AG I'm slowly playing through now, for the first time, is The Last Express, and it's one of the best most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in years... It does so many things differently than traditional graphic adventures (eg: realtime puzzles and interactivity up the wazoo), and it's got a great sense of style... good times.

Add Comment