84 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If I could change something, I would change Carley's (or Doug's) death. Not needed.

Episode 3, s/he can get wounded from the gunshot instead. Kat also doesn't commit suicide after Duck dies. We don't meet Omid and Christa. Kenny helps Lee with getting the train through and doesn't break his leg while escaping.

In episode 4, Carley/Doug is the one that spends the episode lying on the bed after the gunshot reopens, which cuts back on the scenes they are in. The subplot that was used for the pregnant Christa is moved to Kat who become pregnant at some point but hasn't told the group yet.

Episode 5 has Carley/Doug dying while protecting Kenny, which is still a sucky death but better then being killed off by Lilly in episode 3. Plus, since we don't see the body, they might still be alive (honestly, I'd bet 100$ that Kenny shows up sometime in the future. Any character can be alive until you see the body). Kenny and Kat are the ones that Lee leaves behind when the sign separates him from the others.

I know the excuse is that having to redo the parts for Carley/Doug are too much trouble but Omid had a very small role in episode 4 so it wouldn't have been much trouble to keep them for that. We also could have kept them from going with Lee for the rescue so that would have cut down on the copying for episode 5. There was no real need for the amount of death in ep. 3 and I don't think the new arrivals really brought much to the series that wasn't already there with the existing group.

• But then it feels like to many people lived, it's a balance that is really hard to keep, but I think Telltale did do it the right way.

• To those who disagree with my post, and think the ending worked or did not need to be changed.

...Why? Explain why you feel that way. What made it work to you? Did it really offer you meaningful choices if there's only one outcome? Why did protecting Clementine matter to you? Because you were with her the longest? Because she was small and dependent on you? If practically everyone dies, can it really be said that anything in season 1 was accomplished?

Because it sounds to me like most people just think having sad music makes a good ending.

• @Xedria said: To those who disagree with my post, and think the ending worked or did not need to be changed.

...Why? Explain why you feel that way. What made it work to you? Did it really offer you meaningful choices if there's only one outcome? Why did protecting Clementine matter to you? Because you were with her the longest? Because she was small and dependent on you? If practically everyone dies, can it really be said that anything in season 1 was accomplished?

Because it sounds to me like most people just think having sad music makes a good ending.

In the beggining of the game , Lee was going to prison . When Hell broke lose , Clementine was his redemption . Pretty much , Clem is the only ray of hope in this dark world and Lee sacrificed himself for Clem because she is pretty much a daughter to Lee and to everybody on this forum . That's why everybody cares about her . Oh and she is more real than your precious Ben and she is not a hollow plot device .

• @Xedria said: To those who disagree with my post, and think the ending worked or did not need to be changed.

because it felt like everything that had been done in the story lead up to and was concluded by the ending, this game wasn't about min/maxing or saving the world or achieving a set goal, it is a story of a man who did something he deeply regretted and we were there to shape the way he dealt with getting a second chance, and his second chance was saving and influencing the life of a little girl in an apocalypse.

the ending was a satisfying (but devastating) conclusion to all the decisions we had made, everybody got the same ending to the game but not everybody had the same journey, i personally feel like an open ended multiple choice ending would not have been a satisfying ending, it would not have been a real ending at all.

• I agree like I always say, it's the destination that matters, it's the journey and events that happen along the way.

• @master psychic said: In the beggining of the game , Lee was going to prison . When Hell broke lose , Clementine was his redemption . Pretty much , Clem is the only ray of hope in this dark world and Lee sacrificed himself for Clem because she is pretty much a daughter to Lee and to everybody on this forum . That's why everybody cares about her . Oh and she is more real than your precious Ben and she is not a hollow plot device .

This. Clementine was Lee's ray of hope. When the world ended, he got a second chance. She was his shot at Redemption, and eventually he became like a second father to her. She was his daughter for all intents and purposes, the family he'd always wanted. Because of Lee, Clem survived, which is a miracle after everything the group went through in Season 1.

• @Xedria said: Did it really offer you meaningful choices if there's only one outcome?

I think Pat from Two Best Friends said it best: "Choice is given to you as something that matters AS you are making it." The "meaning" behind a choice doesn't come from its consequences; it comes from how it makes you feel to make that choice because of your connection with the circumstances surrounding it. You can give me the choice to actually save or actually destroy a world but if that world doesn't mean a damn thing to me, then neither will my choice.

• @loop hole said: I thought it was unrealistic that Vernon would choose the boat over the morgue for long term survival, especially after his speech about how unsafe it was for lee's group do it. Venon’s decision just didn’t make sense, it’s contradictory behaviour and logic. I mean, Vernon had months worth of food stored away in the fall–out shelter. Lee examined it before opening the door to the morgue. There were beds, food etc. They could have stayed there and waited for the herd to blow through since they had meds in addition to their huge stash of supplies. There is no way they could have fit all those supplies on the boat so they left the supplies in Savannah and left with nothing for the convenience of the writers. Personally I think it would have made more sense if Molly stole the boat since she was arguing about wanting a place on the boat earlier then changed her mind at the end of the episode even when there is space on the boat for her if Ben doesn’t make it. But hey, I guess that’s where suspension of disbelief comes in.

To be fair, the morgue gets immediately overrun after they leave, so he was right to think that it wasn't a safe place. He tells Lee the boat is a bad idea before Savannah gets overrun after all.

Add Comment