User Avatar Image

Audio Quality?

posted by walter_sobchak on - last edited - Viewed by 305 users

Amazing game, but something is really detracting from my enjoyment :(

Does anyone else have an issue with the audio quality of the game?

The compression used on the dialog creates some odd audio artifacting, especially with Strong Bad's voice. I understand that better quality audio would significantly add to the download size, and thus cost Telltale Games more money to deliver it to everyone; but I implore you, Telltale, PLEASE offer an audio quality upgrade pack. It's a minor detail that some people don't mind (or they simply put up with it, since they're used to the compression on the Homestar Runner website), but I expected more quality since this is a stand-alone game in it's own engine.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • We here at Videlectrix don't know what you're talking about. We made SURE Snake Boxer V supported the latest in 2-bit mono PC internal speaker sound! If Mr. Telltale doesn't want to suppot heyday-quality bleep-composition, that's just a loss to all of ya. We don't know, because this demo cartridge isn't working in all our latest systems.

• @Videlectrix said: We here at Videlectrix don't know what you're talking about. We made SURE Snake Boxer V supported the latest in 2-bit mono PC internal speaker sound! If Mr. Telltale doesn't want to suppot heyday-quality bleep-composition, that's just a loss to all of ya. We don't know, because this demo cartridge isn't working in all our latest systems.

Are you guys sure you have all the latest systems...?

• of course they do...:rolleyes:

no, sewiously..i never had any issues with the audio in sam&max, in sbcg4ap i totally noticed the compression though. also, the voices seem a bit different from the flash cartoons..and since no new voice actors were hired..anyway, i still like the game.

• i was hoping the rather poor audio quality was just the demo... it does get on my nerves. i wonder what codec they use? i've used Vorbis at very low bitrates for voice and had better sound fidelity than this.

• Makes me glad that I genuinely can't hear the problem :)

• ohhh boy, telltale has crossed the audiophiles.

you guys just be glad it's not the same fidelity as the flash cartoons ;)

• I would also like to add that they have an actual size limit that they have to keep it under in order for Nintendo to sell their game on WiiWare. Increasing quality adds unnecessary bytes, considering that it sounds really good on a TV and with actual speakers (according to other people, I bought the Wii version).
    It isn't "horrible" sound quality, no matter how much you want it to be. Is it less than you want? I should say so, but I think it is fine and you don't need to insult TTG in an attempt to make life harder for everyone except you. And all this over the way the voices are put into the game....

• Ah, yes, the "More audio quality please" threads. I was wondering when they'd pop up.
    I don't really know what to tell you. It might bug you, but I think the people who notice that sort of thing are in the minority.

• @walter_sobchak said: Amazing game, but something is really detracting from my enjoyment :(

Does anyone else have an issue with the audio quality of the game?

The compression used on the dialog creates some odd audio artifacting, especially with Strong Bad's voice. I understand that better quality audio would significantly add to the download size, and thus cost Telltale Games more money to deliver it to everyone; but I implore you, Telltale, PLEASE offer an audio quality upgrade pack. It's a minor detail that some people don't mind (or they simply put up with it, since they're used to the compression on the Homestar Runner website), but I expected more quality since this is a stand-alone game in it's own engine.

have you tried turning the graphics quality down, may seem bizzarre but i can help, i had this issue with sam and max on my old laptop which could easily run it a max settings but my sound card didnt agree with it

• I really don't notice sound quality. The only thing I noticed with the sound was that some of the voices sounded a little different. So I guess my problem was that the sound quality wasn't low enough. :p

Add Comment