User Avatar Image

Season 4 Speculation/Suggestion Thread

posted by Tricky_bluefox on - last edited - Viewed by 16.1K users

I'm addicted to it I need it and it's awesome so after I'm done playing the devils playhouse ten more times when can I expect to pre order season 4

425 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't mind whether they use choice only, puzzle only or a mix, so long as they get the rest right. S&M using the WAU art techniques would look fantastic.

• First, love the new layout, second, I think the next season should have a survival horror episode with some spookiness. I always liked a little freight in my games.

• Do we know if Telltale have any comedic writers still left? I think Brendan & Chuck Jones really drove season 2 and 3 of Sam & Max.. so I don't know who is left that could write in that same Steve Purcell style.

• Were they around for Poker Night 2? S&M were still spot-on.

• User Avatar Image
    Kevin Bloggers

I think you meant Chuck Jordan! He's still around doing contract writing with us and Mike Stemelle and Dave Grossman have a pretty good feel for Purcells style.

• Kevin posting in this thread has given me more hope than anything else in the past three years! ;)

• If I may ask further, what's the deal with Chuck, then? Is he running on more of a freelance, hire-by-the-job situation, as opposed to just being a regular Telltale employee?

I remember his blog mentioning that he was a consultant for a Walking Dead episode, but also vaguely recall hearing other folks mentioning his departure, which would have been a shame, to put it mildly.

Between Devil's Playhouse and Puzzle Agent 2, the guy really knows how to tell a story.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@wellgolly wrote:

If I may ask further, what's the deal with Chuck, then? Is he running on more of a freelance, hire-by-the-job situation, as opposed to just being a regular Telltale employee?

He is just freelance now, since he left his full time position at Telltale in June 2010. But even then he said that it wasn't his last day ever working with Telltale, just his "last day as a regular full-timer."

At the time he said that the reason he left his full time position was that he wanted to try out new ideas and try out something more experimental. I'm hoping that something does come from that since I really enjoy Chuck's writing and game design ideas. :)

• Thanks for the answer! Much appreciated.

The most frustrating thing about any S&M speculation is how hard it is to gauge your expectations. Or maybe, mine, anyway. If you'd have asked me after the end of Devil's Playhouse, I would have been extremely doubtful that we'd ever see a hint of Sam or Max by 2013. And we've gotten Poker Night 1 and 2, so that was awesome.

But damn, it's really hard to get an idea of where this franchise is, now. It seems like there's more than enough interest remaining for a sequel. For the length of time since TDP came out, it's impressive how much this forum stays active, and it appears like the internet in general still seems to remember and have fondness for the series. Yet, at the same time, it's not exactly overwhelming either.

Telltale and Purcell seem to be the same way. There's clearly still some fondness for the characters and series, but then again, it's also like they can't or won't give it more than a passing thought, professionally. It was notably odd how Playhouse never got a soundtrack, when that was arguably their greatest work, yet. So I guess that suggests there were bigger fish to fry, and all that? I was initially really psyched to know Telltale was still willing to represent them in PN2 after all this time, but then interviews came out that said they barely made the cut.

So it's not like I think there's any chance there's anything under development at the moment, but the bit that's getting at me is:

Is there still potential life left in this series for Telltale, or is it just a fondly remembered part of their past, like Day of the Tentacle? I don't wanna be here in four years, still wondering if we'll ever see them again.

It's almost dead, but it never totally dies.

Add Comment