User Avatar Image

Puzzle Agent 2 Review Thread

posted by puzzlebox on - last edited - Viewed by 5.5K users

So we finally return to the crazy creepy town of Scoggins for a second helping of nuts!

What did you think of Puzzle Agent 2?

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Warning: This contains SPOILERS to the final game.

I really loved Puzzle Agent 2. They got the original actors back, continued right after the first one, old locations, all that stuff. Plus new characters, with my favorite being Jim. What I hated was that some of the puzzles were downright terrible. You have to know alot of backstuff, like how the heck was I suppossed to memorize The first eight digits of Pi? Is this game for kids? Something else I didn't like was that three puzzles cannot be completed until later. Now, this was common in Puzzle Agent 1, (The Gnome Stealing our Stuff) but here, you don't have enough information to complete it, so it just makes you wonder why it couldn't be saved until later. Also, the ending made no sense. I mean I know it's Graham Annable, and you just have to go along with his wierd standards, but I just didn't get it. Anyways, I did like this game, but, sorry...

I do not have a vote for Puzzle Agent 3.

• Was anyone else bothered by the lossy speech audio? I don't understand why game developers settle for this, when they lavish such attention on the visuals. Audio is hugely important to me, and it's constantly distracting when it sounds hissy and overcompressed.

• With my general time constraints on playing games, I'm probably the last person who pre-ordered it to finish, but I finally did. I thought the game was enjoyable, not as tense as the first one. Most of the tension here was thinking, Nelson, you really ought to not be saying these things to this person you just met.

As someone in the U.S. with a pretty good math aptitude, the puzzles were mostly straight-forward. Some of them might be too advanced math-wise for younger players, though. There were a couple of puzzles I had to let run at least once to see how they really worked, because I didn't understand what the instructions were saying, but it was better than the first Puzzle Agent.

I wish there was a way to unlock the bonus puzzles without having to go through again and win everything on the first try. Like I have time for that. ;) Anyone want to post a spoiler thread with screen shots?

• I probably enjoyed the first game more because it was creepier and more enigmatic, but this was still pretty damn good. I agree that some of the puzzles were kind of disappointing; not only were a number of them recycled from the first game, but some of them were even recycled and used twice.

Still, I loved it. The story moves at a fair old pace compared to the first game, which not only went very slowly but also explained nothing (that's in no way a bad thing) - the speed of the story in this game can be both a good thing and a bad one. We get a lot of revelations about the goings-on in the previous game, such as what the Hidden People are really up to and why Isaac Davner was 'chosen', but some aspects of the plot are still unexplained (such as why the astronauts were appearing in people's dreams) or just don't even make sense (the story regarding the lunar ray was incredibly messy). It's possible that some of these questions will be answered in the likely Puzzle Agent 3, but seeing as it's hinted that the next instalment will be set in the Bermuda Triangle rather than Scoggins, it's difficult to see how.

I also enjoyed the Grickle references, the cameos this time including the Sasquatch, the Space Wolf and Principal Skeleton.
    I'm intrigued to see if the Puzzle Agent series will explain the true nature of the Madness, which many Grickle fans have wondered about.

• Well, I just finished it. I did enjoy the puzzles, even if a few had descriptions that made me go "b-uhhhhh?".

My only regret is being forever stuck on 24/25 pieces of gum. Now I'm stuck at my desk, it's a bit late now. Ah well.

• @Admonisher said: Was anyone else bothered by the lossy speech audio? I don't understand why game developers settle for this, when they lavish such attention on the visuals. Audio is hugely important to me, and it's constantly distracting when it sounds hissy and overcompressed.

Yup, 1st part had good audio (speech) quality, but the 2nd got the standard piss-poor-telltale-overcompressed-audio-feature :mad:

The game itself was not as good as the 1st one but still OK (even though I wonder what happened to Dr. Verteckt, I thought he had more to do with the hidden people *verteckt = german for hidden* he just disappeared)

Btw. were the Puzzle Agent games influenced by Twin Peaks... the strange atmosphere kinda reminded me of that awesome series ;).

• just beat PA2. It was awesome. I love the surreal/creepy atmosphere it has. Puzzles were meh. I esp was irritated by movin' blocks puzzles, which are actualy are my favourite kind of puzzles, but the execution of 'em was very low: blocks moved so staggered and there were no visible grid. Sadly, they also were very simple.

Add Comment