User Avatar Image

Controlling Wallace and Gromit

posted by 16_BIT_MARIO1 on - last edited - Viewed by 442 users

Telltale said that you play as both Wallace and Gromit, and you switch between them. What I'm wondering is, do you switch between them, or does the game automatically do it?

11 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    langley Telltale Staff

    It'll be more story driven. For example, you might play the first part as Wallace, tweaking inventions and enterprising. By the last part of the game, things go wrong and you have to take control of Gromit to fix the mess.

    So for the most part, the story will determine who you're controlling. That being said, don't be surprised if some parts of the narrative require you to switch off between both characters.

  • @langley said: It'll be more story driven. For example, you might play the first part as Wallace, tweaking inventions and enterprising. By the last part of the game, things go wrong and you have to take control of Gromit to fix the mess.

    I like the sound of this

  • Yeah, sounds great.

    A bit more like Out from Boneville than Cowrace (concerning the character switching), then? What really interests me is how you are going to be handling having Gromit as a playable character. A playable character who doesn't speak is pretty unique in the point & click-world, if I'm not mistaken.

  • I am intregwed (Made up word) I will get the demo when it comes out.

  • User Avatar Image
    langley Telltale Staff

    @Tjibbbe said: Yeah, sounds great.

    A bit more like Out from Boneville than Cowrace (concerning the character switching), then? What really interests me is how you are going to be handling having Gromit as a playable character. A playable character who doesn't speak is pretty unique in the point & click-world, if I'm not mistaken.

    It's definitely a challenge that's being addressed in a lot of ways. For example, having characters interact with Gromit, having Gromit pointing out objects in the world to other characters, and using inventory items to express ideas in conversations. Plus, if Wallace is nearby when playing as Gromit, then he might do some of the talking for you.

  • @langley said: It's definitely a challenge that's being addressed in a lot of ways. For example, having characters interact with Gromit, having Gromit pointing out objects in the world to other characters, and using inventory items to express ideas in conversations. Plus, if Wallace is nearby when playing as Gromit, then he might do some of the talking for you.

    Awesome, sounds really interesting. Can't wait to see what you guys are making.

    I always loved how, in the movies, when something starts to go wrong, the first thing Wallace does is calling his Gromit. The helplessness in his voice is something that keeps cracking me up. Having both characters playable is indeed a must, I think. Wallace just can't cope without his dog.:)

  • It's not just that he can't cope. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't survive.

    Also I don't remember Gromit having a lot of interaction with other characters than Wallace. And when there was it was with his own style of sign language. But for the purpose of the game I guess he will need more interaction. I'm pretty sure a conversation system for Gromit in the style of Strong Bad would work well. Or whatever you guys decide.

  • Pointing and sign language would be a great way for Gromit to communicate, because we'll always know what he's trying to say (if we're controlling him). With hilarious consequences!

  • @DoubtedEdwardo said: Pointing and sign language would be a great way for Gromit to communicate, because we'll always know what he's trying to say (if we're controlling him). With hilarious consequences!

    Yep! ANd besides, we can always tell what he's thinking even though he's not talking.

  • Grommit won't be the first silent third-person adventure game protagonist. The Neverhood's Klaymen never spoke in-game, and they pulled him off very well.

    I'm hoping to see the distinct difference between Wallace and Grommit's inventing-related philosophies. Wallace creates decidedly complex inventions and setups designed for specific purposes, while Grommit is more practical and has a habit of finding alternate uses for Wallace's existing inventions. Wallace tends to fail to see uses for his inventions beyond the originally intended ones. This would make for great puzzles.

Add Comment