User Avatar Image

Old Time LucasArt

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 3.5K users

The thread dedicated to all those patrons of the pont and click games of the old time LucasArt (before they became completely focused on Star Wars). A general discussion on characters, stories and humor of the old time games like monkey isalnd, DOTT, sam & max and Grim Fandango (3-D but still a point and click game). So take a walk down memory lane and remember the good old days.

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Ah yes...those were the good old days, when LucasArts made such entertaining and humorous epics of insanse and wild characters.

I haven't lost all my hope yet. Even though I'm not looking forward to Bone, there's still a sequel to Runaway: A Road Adventure in the works. Runaway was an awesome adventure game title from 2003, with a similar playing format and graphics as CMI. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about Runaway on this board, it's an excellent title. Runaway 2 is what I have to live for :D .

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'm dying to play Full Throttle again. It was so fun. especially the end. I never finished the Dig. It was the only one I started and never finished.....welll, same with Escape from Monkey Island :( (mainly because of software problems)

I prefer the 2d all the way. 2d and point and click. I miss it.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Kinda strange that LA never made a Star Wars adventure game. They have rolled out a bunch of games and not to talk about all the comics and books that have been published. Could have been fun with a point-and-click adventure in the SW-galaxy. Will never happen now, though...

As for the good old times: Those were the days :) I have to say Indiana Jones and the faith of Atlantis made the greatest impact, even though it wasn't my first experience with the genre. That game had it all.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

The game lacked faith, though.

• [quote]Kinda strange that LA never made a Star Wars adventure game. They have rolled out a bunch of games and not to talk about all the comics and books that have been published. [/quote]
    There was a SCUMM Star Wars game in development at one point - with the playable character as...

C-3PO

Suffice to say the game was scrapped.

[quote]Could have been fun with a point-and-click adventure in the SW-galaxy. Will never happen now, though...[/quote]

Well, I have no idea how all the D&D rules / classes / stats work and am playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republc right now, and it's extremely close in gameplay to a point-and-click adventure. Lots of puzzles to solve, objects to collect, different environments to explore and converstaions to work through - and a great twisting-turning plotline to boot.

If ever you needed a Star Wars adventure game, I think KOTOR would be about as close to perfect a fix as you could possibly get.

• ah yes the good old days. too bad they are long gone. bone is our only hope...well maybe that and a couple others but it will take a lot for another golden age to come. I once wanted to work for LA one day but unless I want to work on a star wars game there isn't any point.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

3PO as the main character sounds pretty, well, weak. Something more like the Day of the Tentacle, where you swithch between different characters would be better. Play Luke, Han and Leia. Oh well...

As for KOTOR, your are quite right, JP. I played the first one and it's just as much an adventure game as a roleplaying game. The story and characters are great, but I won't fall in line and praise this game on all points.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Grrrrr..... I can't even play thses games anymore! I just got a new computer and it won't take any of the good games like DOTT, S&M and Curse of Monkey Island! Damn you technology!!!

• [quote]Grrrrr..... I can't even play thses games anymore! I just got a new computer and it won't take any of the good games like DOTT, S&M and Curse of Monkey Island! Damn you technology!!![/quote]

You're in luck! For all of your SCUMM gaming needs on modern computers, use ScummVM. It's free, and also available on different platforms as well as Windows, so if you have a hi-res Palm or Pocket PC, then you've got yourself some real mobile adventure gaming... :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote](before they became completely focused on Star Wars).[/quote]

Before the dark times, before the empire. LA sadly saw they could make more money out of selling SW stuff after the success of the Zahn books in the early 90's renewed peoples interest in SW :(

Lets see LA games played

Indy ... something or other (Last Crusade?) (Amiga)
    Indy Fate Of Atlantis (Amiga, PC)
    Monkey Island (Amiga, PC)
    DOTT (PC-CD)
    Sam & Max (PC-CD)
    The Dig (PC-CD)
    Full Throttle (PC-CD)
    Grim Fandango (PC-CD)

Probably my favourite 2 are Dig & FT, in part because I loved the music. (Big fan of film music and game scores)

A lot of them I never actually finished but I greatly enjoyed playing them when I was. My playing stopped for various reasons, sometimes it was boredom (MI), unable to get a puzzle (docks in GF), lost save 2/3's into game (The Dig and S&M), hardware not upto it (Fate on Amiga had to many crabs or lobsters in one scence that made my A500 crawl and put me off finishing).

The only game I definitly know I completed is Full Throttle. It was short but it left me wanting more (and if more had come at a reasonable price I'd have stumped the money up) and I can never forget the bouncing bunny rabbits ...

Add Comment