User Avatar Image

Old Time LucasArt

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 5K users

The thread dedicated to all those patrons of the pont and click games of the old time LucasArt (before they became completely focused on Star Wars). A general discussion on characters, stories and humor of the old time games like monkey isalnd, DOTT, sam & max and Grim Fandango (3-D but still a point and click game). So take a walk down memory lane and remember the good old days.

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • [quote]Grrrrr..... I can't even play thses games anymore! I just got a new computer and it won't take any of the good games like DOTT, S&M and Curse of Monkey Island! Damn you technology!!![/quote]

Don't be silly. Of course you can still play them.

You will need scummVM, and a good idea is to also get the graphical front-end "quick and easy" for scummVM for ease of setup.

http://www.scummvm.org (get the 0.7.0 Windows installer)
    http://quick.mixnmojo.com/ (get quick and easy from here)

Both are free, and quite small downloads.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Out of curiosity JP how stable is it?

• Well it's a freeware labour of love so there're various glitches people experience on different hardware, but every time an issue comes up it's adressed in the next build.

The daily snapshot CVS can be quite unstable, but the latest release binaries are pretty darn good in my experience.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

ScummVM works quite well, I've had it for some time now.

Playing through DotT again was a joy. What a good game.

• ScummVM works pretty damn well. The version I used to use keeped crapping out on me but the latest versions work good. It also plays pretty much all of Revolution Software's old titles which is also an excellent adventure game developer which is still going strong. While we are on the subject of Lucasarts classics, am I the only one who is a little dissapointed that Sam and Max wasn't the game that Telltale are working on? Oh well. Maybe when Bone is finished and they can afford the license and what not...
    Oh, and for true old gaming goodness I still like to keep my old windows 95 about. The bugs are the only thing keeping it together but it still plays all my old games. Including some of the decent Star Wars games like "Dark Forces". The day someone comes out with a decent emulator for DOS (Why doesn't DOSBOX work proper?) i'm going to throw it out a window from somewhere high up. :)

• I play Dark Forces, X-Wing, TIE Fighter etc on my winXP machine with no problems using VDMSound and the Launchpad front end.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I think ScummVm is brilliant. Very usefull.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Nope! Theystill don't work! And I downloaded everything too: the SCUMMVM the Q&E thingy (laoder, music and player) but it still doesn't work! What am I doing wrong?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Theres something called the daily build. You need to update that. There should be a button for that in the window.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Grim Fandango was never a point and click game.

Add Comment