User Avatar Image

Adventure to the Pictures

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

I, (in my so far short life,) have never seen a adventure game turned into a Movie. But, I think that it would be a great idea. I imagine that Adventure games would transfer well into movies, due to there great story lines. For example, a full 3D computer animation, (like what pixar and dreamworks have been doing,) version of Grim Fandango. Another game that I think would make a good movie is Indiana jones and the Fate of Atlantas, but it is a bit late for Harrision Ford to pick up the old Indi hat and jump back on a Lucas film set.

EDIT:
I think it is also worth a note that Pixar was originaly the computer animation division of Lucasfilm untill in 1986 when it was bought by Steve Jobs, (Macintosh's co-founder,) for a pretty penny.

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Precisely three weeks ago I had that idea too, and made a PetitionOnline of a Grim Fandango movie by Pixar, but I guess that it would not be popular, since just some of my friends signed up. Who knows, maybe I should have promoted it better. Which the superb plot of Grim Fandango it would be cool to see its movie, instead of the childish and simple animated movies we're used to watch. [:">]

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

It could work. I really believe that. Grim has a great plotline and the puzzles are all cling on's to the main plot. The movie would have a good story, hopefully not to far from what was in the game. I think it would attract a good audiance, but maybe a little bit older than the standard Pixar audiance. Still, it supports the arguement that most adventure game could be made into good movies.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Did you watch the Sam and Max cartoon episodes?
    Don't know how much Steve Purcell's influence was with the cartoons, but compared to the print-version-comics I found them a little shallow.
    The game was much better and funnier, in my opinion.

//

If Pixar or Dreamworks would make a Grim Fandango movie, it really could have the potential to be sweet.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]but it is a bit late for Harrision Ford to pick up the old Indi hat and jump back on a Lucas film set.[/quote]

Now wasn't there supposed to be an indy 4 somtimes around 2006 directed by Spielberg, and with H. Ford as Jones?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I think a more appropriate subject for a adventure game/movie would be the Maniac Mansion series. I feel it's something that more people would be able to relate to. Something for kids and adults, so it would be marketable to a larger audience. There has already been a TV show no? Not really too successful I heard, but still. Potential is there if it is done right. I'd like to see some CGI Tentacles sliming around.

But don't get me wrong. Grim did have an excellent storyline.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote][quote]but it is a bit late for Harrision Ford to pick up the old Indi hat and jump back on a Lucas film set.[/quote]

Now wasn't there supposed to be an indy 4 somtimes around 2006 directed by Spielberg, and with H. Ford as Jones?[/quote]

I thought that the next indy was going to be another father/son gig and H. Ford as the father, the real Indy....

But I could be wrong... I just remember hearing that somewhere.

As for S&M cartoons, as far as I'm aware, they were never shown here in Australia, just like the comics.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I think a more appropriate subject for a adventure game/movie would be the Maniac Mansion series. I feel it's something that more people would be able to relate to. Something for kids and adults, so it would be marketable to a larger audience. There has already been a TV show no? Not really too successful I heard, but still. Potential is there if it is done right. I'd like to see some CGI Tentacles sliming around.

But don't get me wrong. Grim did have an excellent storyline.[/quote]

Who would you get to play Bernard. I was thinking Rick Moranis or someone who has done geeks before in movies. Or even better, David Hasselhoff. It would crack me up to see him with shorts on and his gray buttoned up t-shirt tucked in as he staigtens up his crooked glasses.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Seeing that Pixar's production has been geared a bit more towards the grown-up audience with The Incredibles, I think they could very well be trusted to make a good movie from a Grim Fandango script.

Even Maniac Mansion could be done as a CG movie, with the nice cartoonish style of DOTT. Perhaps a traditional animation feature would be even better, but I can't think of who would be the best to do it.

Besides those two, I'd of course love to see a good movie based on Full Throttle.

"Can't talk any more, Ben. Eatin' too many bugs!" :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Even Maniac Mansion could be done as a CG movie, with the nice cartoonish style of DOTT. Perhaps a traditional animation feature would be even better, but I can't think of who would be the best to do it.[/quote]

Please don't kill the image I have in my mind about MM/DOTT with a 3D version!

For (a maybe fat-fetched) example: I was really disgusted when I saw the poster for the Garfield movie - I will never watch it in my whole life... yuck. Garfield is a character composed of thick outlines and thin inlines - the first comic-strip that used this technique, AFAIK. They destroyed that style in the 3D-movie in creating a fat, furry, photorealistic cat - lacking all the finesse of the drawings.

The best team for a MM/DOTT movie would be Genndy Tartakovsky/David Feiss/Craig McKracken - or any other of the great Cartoon Network artists. (Dexter/PPG/Johnny Bravo/etc...)

Oh man, that would be one sweet movie! :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I saw that movie, I talked to a few Garfield fans before they saw the movie. One of them said they didn't get it right. Garfield wasn't photorealistic. He had a cartoonish charater about him, but he was alot more pathetic than he ever was in the cartoons. What I find more interesting is when they take a good story, (not a character,) and make a good movie from it. I wouldn't be expecting a Manic Mansion Movie either, and I'm not sure if i would be too excited about it either.

Add Comment