User Avatar Image

Copyright claim from "Scale Lab" (?)

posted by The_Kzin on - Viewed by 6.6K users

With Season 2 just a few weeks(?) away, I thought it would be fun to do something like a "Let's Play". I am no "pro" in making videos ... I thought, I'll give it a try. Just for fun. ;-) So I uploaded the first part ... and got a copyright claim from "Scale Lab" a few hours later. It reads: "Visual content administered by: Scale Lab".

My questions now are: Who are those people? Do I have to be worried about my channel? And if i dispute it ... what can I put as my reasons for the dispute?

Sincerely, Kzin.

35 Comments
  • A quick Google search says that Scale Labs is a Youtube network. My insane guess is that someone there is using the copyright system to help videos in their network rise in the search rankings.

• Youtube was so much better before Google got it's hands on it and allowed other entities to abuse the copyright complaint system.

• My first intuition is that it's some sort of scam company, which tries to leech with other people's work, or something.

• There's a number of developers out there that use the DMCA to take down videos that are either unfavorable to them, or they're just trying to squash rival content to help their own video content rise in the search rankings. This has to be the first time I've heard of a Youtube network trying to do this, though.

• Anybody got some suggestions how to dispute this claim? I mean, there are some options but I don't know which would be suitable.

• I don't know which options there are, but just say that they aren't copyrights holder of anything. TTG has rights for the game and you have copyrights for your let's play, because you have created it.

• You know, f*** google+, they think the video was made for beneficial purposes while it clearly had been made for promotion and showing people a peak of the game. You know those copyrights holders are a bunch of f***ing idiots right? No other company other than TTG that could claim it's copyright on the game, any other lab or whatever that claims it would be probably a scam unless u include a content of the company that claimed the copyright on the video, it doesn't necessarily have to be for the gameplay itself. So idk.

• Even if he has used some other material, it should be all right and legal as long as it falls under the fair use.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the OP is soon contacted by this Scale Lab and asked to pay some money, so that they'll retract their copyright infringement claim.

• I uploaded another video and it got "flagged" almost immediately. Again because of Scale Lab. That's annoying.

• God what you just said reminded me of what Sega did last year with Shining Force 3, and even this year with Wild Game Studios taking down TotalBiscuit's video of Day One Garry's Incident, in other words whats happening to you is sadly a common thing, god I hate how the system is abused to badly.

• I wrote them yesterday an e-mail, trying to do the polite thing.

It was already friday afternoon, though, but because of the time difference (I am from Austria) they had a little more than 5 hours to respond/recognize. But ... so far no answer. I'll wait until monday. Giving them a chance to explain themselves.

• like the first post did a quick search on "scale lab youtube" seems like they mail various youtube channels saying they will increase subs and views but they say they want 25% of ad revenue from your channel also it seems they have a number of dummy youtube accounts not saying they use them for this reason just that they have them.

it is also now alot easier with google+ to have multi accounts on youtub. Anyway If they carry on with copy right claims maybe ask telltale to get involved.

• Good news, everyone:

YouTube's Content ID system automatically flags these videos because they share gameplay footage. We understand these aren't true copyright violations and immediately release all claims. No need to worry!

Best,

Colin Cadman Manager, Channel Development ScaleLab Network

• I'd also like to know what to do incase I ever get a notice from these clowns

• Glad things have worked out OK for you guys.

Still, it's pretty absurd that this situation arose in the first place, isn't it?

• I still don't understand what Scale Lab has to do with Youtube and policing gameplay uploads. They sound like a bunch of scam artists, regardless of how "nice" their replies are.

• Agreed, somehow a lot of (business) people go crazy when they can get their hands on money and will do absurd things to obtain it.. I´m just glad it went the easy way this time. It could have gotten a lot worse and then it´s just you against a big business...

• It only seems to have happened recently though to The play-through for season 1 I have a feeling they were trying to get the copyright so that they can claim the one for any Season 2 play-through and focus the search results only onto channels from their network because anyone NOT with them will be facing copyright claims.

Making money by stacking search results well that is one way to do it. Honestly it is kind of a good strategy to use youtube to make money.

However I don't really agree with what they have done it is kind of Mafia like by only directing results to channels under their network and tie up any independent channels with stupid copyright claims which means they get the views and ad revenue first.

And when they get challenged they send a polite message saying "O sorry.... blah blah because of how youtube works... blah blah.... we will sort it out don't worry."

Add Comment