User Avatar Image

Another half-assed "Your choices matter, really!" game from Telltale.

posted by GreenFX on - last edited - Viewed by 6.6K users

Takes you guys all year to start giving us new WD episodes, yet we get perhaps the most linear game on the market when it arrives.

I can't believe you have got away with fraudulently telling players that their choices matter, let alone making such a short episode which sugar coated the most generic plot yet.

You could have used this opportunity to do something revolutionary, instead we get the most predictable sequel in the world which is just an awkward mess to play.

The decision to make us play as Clementine is the most limiting thing you could have done, there's two choices that gave you with gameplay: cut out fight sequences altogether, or give a little girl some incredibly realistic strength.

I see you picked the dumb option.

If you're going to force us down a specific path, make the plot GOOD.

The animations still suck, the exploring is slow, the choices are meaningless, action sequences have poor button response so that players have to redo things to extend gameplay time.

It sucks, you deserve that 6/10 from GameSpot. I wondered why it was so cheap for a season pass, now I know that you're self aware of your own failure to make something fun; you're cashing in already.

Edit: more complaints and grievances:

As a user mentioned below, the whole campfire "puzzle" what the hell was that? You could have made the areas MUCH bigger too, could have made the camp bigger and allowed us to find certain objects that could have been used to make things easier later in the game.. Nope! It's not rocket science, this is one of the least challenging games i've played in my life.

An infant could beat this game.

Try and get in the house!

Pro tip: walk to the furthest away entrance to the house, we want this to take you as long as possible, then press A

You could have allowed us to get out the shed without a hammer for instance, have us walk around then THINK... Hmmm.. I need something to get under the house, if we missed it the first time.. We backtrack to the shed and pick up the hammer, THOSE are the sort of things you should be doing to extend the playtime, not giving us action sequences that we have to repeat 3 times to beat.

..and the zombie thing in the shed was so stupid, since when have you seen a zombie get down on it's stomach and crawl through a hole, despite how dumb that was.. It was extremely predictable, I could have written a better plot if you gave me half an hour.

This doesn't do the first season justice at all, which at times had intelligent puzzle solving and a plot with many twists and turns. Now we get "Guess who everybody! They're not dead!"

No replay value. At. All.

158 Comments
  • you infer your choices mean nothing OFF the FIRST episode of a FIVE episode game. That's like me judging a book off its first chapter.

• I know. People just dont seem to have the patience to follow a storyline to the end. They expect big changes right off the bat instead of waiting to see how the story unfolds.

• When you had no choice but to complete one objective the entire game, I don't see how things can be affected in later episodes.

• I know. If I were to judge Season One based off it's first episode and Telltale's promise that throughout the whole series the story will change, I'd say 'It's crap, don't buy it, it doesn't live up to it's promise.' But that would not be a fair judgement to make. It's like judging, as fugelot11 mentioned before, a book off it's first chapter.

• Very true. But we can also look back at season one and see that many of our choices there didn't matter either. As far as I remember, the two biggest things that came from your choices are 1) whatever you decided to do with Larry will make Kenny either automatically go with you or question whether he should, and 2) cutting Lee's arm off stops him from fainting at several points throughout the episode. All our other choices didn't affect much.

• Don't hold back tell us how you really feel

• Me and a lot of other people here like Season 2. I dont care about you. If you dont like the game then dont play it. Delete it and never play anything from telltale again. You dont deserve to play their games. -.-

• That's a great idea, I don't deserve the torture of sitting through another turd like that.

• That's a bit harsh. He was offering constructive criticism. As someone who has played a lot of story driven puzzle games (e.g., Kyrandia 1-3, Goblins 1-3, original Sam and Max, all the Monkey Islands, etc), there are various suggestions he made that would improve the game. For instance, when approaching a boarded up deck, the option shouldn't automatically be there for you to use your hammer, this removes the puzzle aspect. Instead you should have to cycle through your item menu and figure it out. You should also be able to get ahead in the game without item X, and then have to backtrack for it as he suggested. These are pretty standard game mechanics, dating back to Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, etc. He's asking for reasonable improvements, that were available in the 90s on DOS based games!

• The Walking Dead and Monkey Island are not the same type of games. Your complaint is like saying, there's not enough call of duty style FPS in Sam and Max. The Walking Dead series is a narrative driven adventure game, more in the light of... Heavy Rain then puzzle adventure game in the light of Monkey Island. You want a different game play mechanic, not an improvement. Their execution of a narrative driven (where choosing what you say drives the story) is just fine. However that is not the same as a Monkey Isalnd, where you can click and talk to the same person 100 times and have the exact same conversation, until you realize that you need to put together some weird combination of objects in order to solve a puzzle.

• Personally, I wish the Walking Dead games were harder.

The puzzles are so easy they are not even really puzzles - tasks such as 'light the fire' and then oh look the log is RIGHT THERE NEXT TO THE FIRE!... that's just pointless. It's not a game.

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a movie and just making a few choices to help the dialogue along. On occasions I found myself slumped on the couch, holding the controller in one hand and just jabbing a button.

It didn't feel like my choice really mattered all the time and therefore I didn't care what I chose all the time.

I like TWD a lot. Season 1 was amazing. The narrative and emotive pull got a lot of coverage and congratulations. Now I just feel like the gameplay has become diluted in favour of storyline.

I'm a Telltale fan, I'll follow the season. I'm just not a 100%.

• Your calling yourself a fan, while you dont care what you choose? That doesnt make any sense.

• I sure am and I think the point about the balance between the gameplay and narrative is valid. It's heavy on the narrative and that means that dialogue choices will affect the storyline. The choices never affect the puzzles, if they did, that would be really clever!

However we decide on the choices, we will all end up in similar situations at the end of the episodes, it's just the in-game relationships that alter really. I've replayed TWDS1 and TWAU many times with different choices to see the outcomes and I promise that I didn't slump and I had both hands on the controller ;-)

I'm sure I'll replay this episode with different choices whilst I'm waiting for the next one.

• I think you really should change your expectations, TTG is not going for difficult puzzles, or really following the traditional Adventure Game route with TWD at all. I can understand you wanting the game to match a certain set of criteria, but if your looking for it here your going to be continually disappointed. This game is basically a movie that you get to add in flavor to. It's not a puzzle game, its never going to test your twitch reflexes, its an almost passive experience, if that's not your cup of tea, you should probably move on. Because expecting this game to be anything else is an exercise in futility. It is what it is.

• I agree they need to bring back more adventure elements into this game. The log next to the campfire was just silly. After Christa's complaint of a weak campfire, Clementine improves the campfire within a few seconds.

• Like people said in your other threads, it is absolutely impossible to make different endings. Yeah, Heavy Rain had variant endings but that was non episodic (except a "Chronicles" episode but they stopped at one episode I think so that doesn't really count). For The Walking Dead being an episodic game, it's definitely something that takes a long time to do if they went the various endings route. There would be all kinds of confusion in the process of making it and each episode would take so much time to put together that people would probably just be uninterested since they have to wait months, even years, just for an episode to be released. But that's just how I feel and I understand that you may expect more out of Telltale and that's completely fine with me. I just don't think it could work with various routes depending on your choices in the game.

• The game has a lot of problems in the writing and directing department.... mostly writing though, it is uninspired and grossly illogical.

Telltale should give their best selling title more attention. If the gameplay does not improve then they will kill the series. If they really need a backup plan, then just have the guys from The Wolf Among Us work on this game instead. They really know what they are doing and know how to make a good game. The bozos working on the TWD at the moment really have no idea what they are doing. They don't understand TWD, they don't understand what makes an interactive novel great.... and I doubt they ever will.

*(i'd say they should have the guys from the first season work on the game, but sadly many of them have left Telltale. So that isn't possible.)

• Dude the writing is perfect shut up

• Your so fucking annoying!

• The only uninspired thing here is your ranting. Must you really insist on posting this rant verbatim at every possible opportunity?

• Must your really whine about my opinion at every possible opportunity? Must you really insist on posting your love of this game verbatim at every possible opportunity? lol

Nobody forced you to even read this thread. Leave the forum if you can't accept opinions that differ from yours.

• How droll. I've never once responded to your incessant whinging, nor proclaimed my love for the first episode of Season Two. Moreover I never implied that I dislike reading negative responses to the game, I actually enjoy it as it is nice to see a contrast of opinions, and I do agree with some of the stuff being posted.

Poor show overall :^)

• Looks like Telltale are really emulating the production of the TV series! I have no idea what's going on with the writing, but everything feels so shoehorned in, why couldn't they let us explore a little with the couple at the beginning for instance? It's got this lightning fast pacing which doesn't allow you to take things in or feel part of the world.

• The writing in my opinion is amazing and is the strongest asset the game has! None the less, there will always be people that aren't fans of the game which is fine. Every gaming forum has their fair share of threads about ways the game can be improved.

• Are you kidding me? They have been working on TWD season 2 more than their newest series TWAU and that is my freaking life! Face it dlux your just jealous of TT made skills in writing.

• The only problem TWD had was it was talked about and praised by tons of people, so alot of people who are fans of a different style of game grabbed it and it wasn't their cup of tea so intead of saying, eh I prefer more puzzle based adventure games, or more fast twictch action games... they are demanding that TWD is changed to fit their prefered gaming style.

The 2nd season's "easy" puzzles and game play is the exact same as the 1st season, its not going to "kill" the series, the same people who loved the first season will this season. If you don't like that style of game, don't play it. I don't like platforming adventure games, however that doesn't mean people who like Super Meat Boy or Binding of Issac are wrong, or that the game makers should change those games to fit what I like it simply means I should play a different game. If you don't like TWD, that doesn't mean they need to change the style to more fast twitch QTE (which is the big difference between Wolf Among US and TWD, Wolf has more action driven QTE, where as TWD's has more quickly decide what you're going to say type events) It means you should simply play a different game. TWD style was highly successful in season 1, and they are doing the same style in season 2.

As for the writing, I'm not sure how you can judge it on such a limited amount of the story but ok..

• The Walking Dead is not and never has been about gameplay. It's a story and character driven experience. If people leave The Walking Dead because of what they see as bad gameplay, they were never playing it for what it was.

• I don't like that they lied about season 1 having real choices. Hopefully they have learned from this and season 2 will be different.

• I wouldn't expect that. Besides don't you think Season 1 had enough choice and consequence?? Every piece of dialogue you made Lee say defined what kind of character you wanted him to be and already in the first episode of Season 2 a lot of our Lee/Clem choices were reflected, like whether his arm was cut off or not and such.

For me making a choice isn't cool because it might have a consequence later, although kudos to Telltale if they make that happen, but rather for me it's all about deciding what's morally right to do in the moment that I make my choice and to me choice DOES matter in that sense.

• TWD is a choose your path game, not go in a different direction. Your choices impact how you see the world, how people interact with your character, etc... however this is a story driven game, they aren't going to let you totally re-write the story. It would be literally impossible to do so (like there's no choice you can make to save Lee in season 1... if there was, how in the world would they make season 2? The entire story they're trying to tell would have gone in a completely different direction) You'll never be able to completely change the story, but your choices will impact how you experience that story.

• I don't mean major changes like Lee surviving or dying. I mean little changes that over time add up. The water choice in this game seems pointless. Hopefully I'm wrong and it matters but he doesn't talk with either choice and it's most likely that he ends up dying either way too. How you can defend a very pointless decision such as that is beyond me. Some choices would not impact on the story greatly and could be implemented.

• Take the promise that the "story is tailored by how you play" just as much as I take your critisism with a grain of salt because it's pretty ludicrus to go so bananas when you've only seen the start of the new season yet.

Add Comment