User Avatar Image

Abandonware: Good, Or Evil (Or awesome)

posted by Pvt._Public on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I know this is something that a lot of people are always talking about and i also know that there may be a lot of people who are going to call me filthy pirating scum for this and ALSO that there may be another thread much like this hidden elsewhere in the forum but basically, what do you think? Abandonware good or bad?
Personally, having been born back in 1990 i missed out on all the classic games such as Maniac Mansion and whatnot. Also i was a little too young at the time to think that most of the games around then were any good. Where were the explosions? now days though i find my self spending vast sums of money continuously buying classic games. Some games though are impossible to find (at least in NZ). The point is that i download a lot of abandonware. Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis being the latest one (please, no links). I am aware that some of the people at telltale game may have worked on some of these classic games but i'm sure they know what i'm talking about. Once again, what do you think? should Lucasarts etc. continue saying that i shouldn't download their games despite there being no other way to get them or not?

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Who's guilt-tripping?[/quote]Trust me. There are many (too many) tunnel-visioned, letter-of-the-law gestapo types out there who have no qualms in trying to lay guilt on any kind of copying. I've gotten into plenty of debates with them.
    [quote]Of course my argument was absurd. That was the point.[/quote]Just making sure. ;)

• this post got me thinking a bit more. It would be nice if companies offered their abandonware at their websites and did things on an optional donation type basis. Cause that way people would know they were getting a clean game and it would be up to them if they wanted to donate. Then proceeds could go to a charity or something like that. I'm sure it'd be good pr. Like I think some games were like that like quake II where you could dl the source code and stuff like that.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]this post got me thinking a bit more. It would be nice if companies offered their abandonware at their websites and did things on an optional donation type basis. Cause that way people would know they were getting a clean game and it would be up to them if they wanted to donate. Then proceeds could go to a charity or something like that. I'm sure it'd be good pr. Like I think some games were like that like quake II where you could dl the source code and stuff like that.[/quote]

Well, some do. Revolution recently released their older adventure games into the public domain. It's great when companies do that, but it should be left up to the company what they want to do with their games. In a perfect world all games would either be easy to buy, or freeware. Unfortunately this isn't the case. I have no problem with abandonware (Ive got an abandonware site in my favorites). What ticks me off are the people who download an old game just because its old, even if its available to purchase. That isnt abandonware. Thats stealing.

Edit:[quote]Trust me. There are many (too many) tunnel-visioned, letter-of-the-law gestapo types out there who have no qualms in trying to lay guilt on any kind of copying. I've gotten into plenty of debates with them.[/quote]

I really hope I don't come off as one of those guys. I'm not.

• yeah reminds me of simon the sorcerer. That game is so old and last time I checked (actually it's been a while now) it wasn't abandoned yet

• [quote]I think it depends. If it's the only way you can get your hands on a game...I guess it's ok. But, Indiana Jones is most certaintly not abandoned.You obviously didn't even check the company store.
    Most people are just looking for free games and will download anything they find on the internet. Whatever happened to supporting the developers?[/quote]

Trust me, I tried that site many a time but they refuse to sell games to anywhere that isn't in the USA or Canada. The point i'm trying to get across is that sometimes it is actually humanly impossible for some people to get games unless they spend a vast sum of money moving to USA. or possibly making a time machine. before i download anything i try to find somewhere that actually still sells the game but as has been pointed out, most people don't think of New Zealand as a real country. I support the developers alot as i don't actually support piracy (except of course for when i there is no other option and i really NEED to experience a game) and spent a large sum of money on Sam and Max, Day of the tentacle, Broken Swords 1 and 2, Monkey Island 1 and 2 and many more but it was a long and painful journey to get each of these games. The only reason i actually got any of them was because of a stroke of luck. Revolution was clever and released Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure Of The Temptress because they realized that it was near impossible to find these games anymore and they wanted people to play these games. Not just hear about them. For Broken Swords 1 and 2 they provide links to a few websites that ship about the world. If all the old games publishers would do this, I wouldn't use abandonware. But they don't so i will continue downloading these classics as it is the only thing i can do to play these games. especially seeing as Lucasarts seem to not want to have anything to do with their actual good game licenses.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I got nearly all lucas adventures in abandonware form or cd image because i owned them all but my cds have been stolen or are now in unusable condition (except monkey 3) and i don t have a floppy drive anymore. I just plain love scummvm.

I did cheat however, like grabing Zak for FM towns (i got this one on C64) or loom CD (mine was a floppy one) to refinish the game with discovery. I bought DOTT twice however (floppy version and later the CD version when i got a CD drive)

I don t feel guilty at all.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I have abandonware versions of MI1 and 2 for the Macintosh...which I got back when I only had a Mac with OS 9, so no ScummVM for me, and actually did already own the PC versions of the games (I tried to get them working with an emulator before giving up and going the abandonware route). I don't regret it or see it as stealing, as the Mac versions of those two games are definitely abandonware--I would've bought them if they were available, but no such luck.

I also have abandonware versions of Loom and Zak McKracken, for the same reason...I'd like to buy them, but LucasArts doesn't sell them.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I've downloaded abandonware. Every time I have I've always hesitated. I suppose the word piracy makes me think, " Die you evil scummbags, you're destroying our movie, gaming and music industries ." Then I buy 40 copies of a blockbuster hit starring Pamela Anderson that's scheduled to come out in 2008. I think that downloading abandonware is probably the weakest form of piracy. Why? Most forms of piracy applies to things that are in there prime. A movie might only have only have come onto the market a day ago. A abandoned game is at least 2 years old.

• There's no such thing as abandonware, is there? A game is either freeware, or it isn't.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]There's no such thing as abandonware, is there? A game is either freeware, or it isn't.[/quote]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Add Comment