User Avatar Image

My Guide To Running Sam & Max On Linux

posted by Cassidy on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Had recently upgraded from XP to Ubuntu 7.10, but unfortunately hadn't finished Season 1 or started Season 2. After receiving Season 1, the soundtrack and Surfin' The Highway in the mail, I decided it was time to get the games to run on WINE. Several hours later, this guide was born. I cannot guarantee full playability, but it has been working so far. Hope anyone who uses my guide will have the success I did and I hope I'll be able to help any questions.

As it is attached, you may also download the PDF from Filefront.

==============================
A Guide To Sam & Max On Wine/Ubuntu
==============================
This is a guide to getting Sam & Max, Seasons 1& 2 to run on your copy of Ubuntu.

NOTE: These steps are being done on a clean install of Ubuntu & Wine (yes I nuked my operating system just for you guys :)), but I will be available to hopefully help you with technical questions. Unfortunately, I don't guarantee full playability, just getting the game to run.

This guide is usable with both the downloadable & so far, only the DVD version straight from Telltale. If you plan on installing a combination of the DVD and the Downloaded versions, I would suggest installing the downloaded episodes first, and then install from the DVD.

This guide contains logical steps & common terminal commands in this format. Some of these directory locations will vary upon your computer setup :).

PRE-INSTALL STEPS
=================
1. Install & Update Ubuntu. Hopefully you have this done already.
2. Install WINE 0.9.5.5: (Taken from http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb)
a. Open Terminal. Add the repository's key to your system of trusted APT keys, wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
b. Add the repository to your system's list of APT Sources, sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list
c. Install WINE via Synaptic Package Manager, or by running sudo apt-get update to update APT's package information, and then sudo apt-get install wine to actually install WINE.
3. If you are having problems, Start here by nuking your .wine, via command: rm -r ~/.wine I have nuked mine several times over to figure all this out :).

CD VERSION
==========

What I Used: Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy), WINE 0.9.55, Sam & Max Season 1 & SecurRom Patch from Telltale.

1. Download the Season 1 SecurROM Patch
a. Open Terminal.
b. Navigate to where you want to download the SecurROM patch eg, cd ~/Downloads
c. Download SamMaxSeason1_SecurROM_1.0_TTG.exe from http://files.telltalegames.com/support/SamMaxSeason1_SecurROM_1.0_TTG.exe, either through firefox or, wget http://files.telltalegames.com/support/SamMaxSeason1_SecurROM_1.0_TTG.exe
d. Leave Terminal Open, we will be back shortly.

2. Insert Sam & Max Season 1 DVD

3. Setup Wine:
a. Run 'Configure Wine'. Click the Following Tabs:
i. Applications Tab: Change Windows Version to 'Windows XP'.
ii. Graphics Tab: Make sure 'Allow window...' & 'Allow Pixel...' are checked. Make sure 'Vertex Shader Support' is set to 'Hardware'
iii. Audio Tab: You should receive a recommended driver selection notice. Click OK &b click Apply. Click OK.

4. Install Sam & Max:
a. Back to Terminal, and navigate to your cdrom, cd /media/cdrom Run Setup.exe with WINE, wine setup.exe. Install with default options. When done installing, uncheck 'Run Sam & Max - Season 1.0'
b. Navigate to where you downloaded your patch, cd ~/Downloads and run it using wine, wine SamMaxSeason1_SecurROM_1.0_TTG.exe Click Next & I Agree.

5. Cleanup:
a. Run 'Configure Wine'. Click on the 'Drives' Tab. Click on the 'Z: /' line under 'Drive Mappings'. Click the 'Remove' button. Click OK. (Essentially remove the / drive mapping)

6. Run Sam and Max:
a. Back to Terminal!
b. Navigate to the Sam & Max Season One Directory, ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Telltale Games/Sam and Max – Season One, cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Telltale\ Games/Sam\ and\ Max\ -\ Season\ One
c. Navigate to the Episode you want to play, this case: Episode 1 – Culture Shock, cd Episode\ 1\ -\ Culture\ Shock\ Data
d. Run the Episode with WINE, this case: SamMax101, wine SamMax101.exe

e(optional). If it seems like it's running slower than in windows:
i. Press ALT+F4
ii. Run Episode in desktop mode, at desired resolution, wine explorer /desktop=SamMax,1024x768 SamMax101.exe It should start up in a window.
iii. Should now be able to navigate to Options & Change Resolution to desired and hopefully will run at desired speed.
iv. If after changing resolution, graphics go all “broken window”, press ALT+F4 and run again with command from ii., should be fine :).

DOWNLOADABLE VERSIONS
========================

What I Used: Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy), WINE 0.9.55, ies4linux 2.99.0.1, Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2 Downloadable Editions from 'Your Games' under the 'Past Purchases' section of your Telltale Login. I will also organize this part in such a way that if the Flash Bug still affects your Firefox, you will still be able to download the games with IE instead. Although, the Demos will also work fine :).

1. Setup IES4Linux
a. Open Terminal.
b. Navigate to where you want to download ies4linux, cd ~/Downloads
c. Download ies4linux-2.99.0.1.tar.gz from http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-2.99.0.1.tar.gz, either through firefox or, wget http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/downloads/ies4linux-2.99.0.1.tar.gz
d. Unpack ies4linux-2.99.0.1 and navigate to the directory, tar -zxvf ies4linux-2.99.0.1.tar.gz && cd ies4linux-2.99.0.1
e. Install CabExtract either through Synaptic Package Manager or, sudo apt-get install cabextract
f. Install ies4linux, ./ies4linux Click OK. When done, Click Close.

2. Nuke WINE & Copy Ies4Linux
a. In terminal remove your .wine directory & copy the ie6 directory from the .ies4linux into it, rm -r ~/.wine && cp -r ~/.ies4linux/ie6 ~/.wine

3. Setup Wine:
a. Run 'Configure Wine'. Click the Following Tabs:
i. Applications Tab: Change Windows Version to 'Windows Vista'.
ii. Graphics Tab: Make sure 'Allow window...' & 'Allow Pixel...' are checked. Make sure 'Vertex Shader Support' is set to 'Hardware'
iii. Audio Tab: You should receive a recommended driver selection notice. Click OK & click Apply. Click OK.

4. Run Internet Explorer & Download Sam & Max
a. In Terminal, run IE6, ie6
b. Go to Telltale Games, Login and download the episodes. In this case, I downloaded SamAndMax202_MoaiBetterBlues_Setup.exe into my Downloads folder in my Home directory.

5. Install Episodes
a. In Terminal, navigate to where you downloaded your episode, cd ~/Downloads and run it using wine, wine SamAndMax202_MoaiBetterBlues_Setup.exe
b. Install with default options. When done installing, uncheck 'Play Now'

6. Run Sam & Max
a. Back to Terminal!
b. Navigate to the Sam & Max Season Two Directory, ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Telltale Games/Sam and Max – Season Two, cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Telltale\ Games/Sam\ and\ Max\ -\ Season\ Two
c. Navigate to the Episode you want to play, this case: Episode 2 – Moai Better Blues, cd Episode\ 202\ -\ Moai\ Better\ Blues
d. Run the Episode with WINE, this case: SamMax202, wine SamMax202.exe
e. You should be able to enter in your Telltale login information. Click Log me in! To Start the game, you just have to click a little below the Logo of the game, bout an inch or so and it should start up.

f(optional). If it seems like it's running slower than in windows:
i. Turn full screen off during the intro-setup process either through options or by pressing ALT+ENTER. Usually the graphics go “broken glass” so ALT+F4. By running the program once more and it should start up in a window and at full speed.

Thank you for reading my guide! I hope that I was helpful and please contact me with any questions.

79 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Cheeseness said: Except for Ice Station Santa that is (which is odd, because I know I had the demo running earlier this year). Demonfoo, when you say "latest installer", do you mean the normal installer from the "My Games" section or something you've found elsewhere?

Yes, the normal installer. I jus mean that if you have an older download of the installer, you should get the latest one. Telltale updates them periodically with the latest builds.

• @demonfoo said: Yes, the normal installer. I jus mean that if you have an older download of the installer, you should get the latest one. Telltale updates them periodically with the latest builds.

Ah. I downloaded Episodes 1 and 2 last night and can't seem to get Ice Station Santa to launch properly. Is there anything special in your configuration that you think HellMoose and myself might have missed?

• 201 has an older version of the launcher, which is probably why you're only running into problems with that one. We're hoping to bring that one up to date with 202-205 at some point, but no promises, alas :(

• User Avatar Image
    TMM

I had a solution to this problem for 201, but the thread with the solution was apparently removed from this forum without sending me a PM with a reason.
    Telltale does not appear to be very interested in this at all. Extremely disappointing

• @tabacco said: We're hoping

As long as we've got hope, we'll survive :)

TMM, if you have a workaround, I think we'd all be grateful if you'd share again (providing it's not "go find a crack" or anything that obviously questionable).

• User Avatar Image
    TMM

the fix I described did not involve a crack, but I am waiting for an explanation by some the forum admin who removed my post as to what was wrong with it so I can repost it with whatever was the problem removed.

I am not sure if what I did was 'questionable' but it did involve editing a file that comes with the game. Personally I don't think this should be a problem for games you bought. (This change also did not remove any of the DRM)

• It also required, in your words, that people "find alternative ways of authenticating your copy of the game". What does that sound like to you?

• User Avatar Image
    TMM

authenticate on a windows box, copy the file over. Run with ies4linux to do the auth, then edit the gamefile to allow the 3d part to run on wine.

Whatever, 'alternative' I just figured people could come up with other ways as well. The alternative is for us to not play (or buy) the game at all. Telltale's call I suppose

• @TMM said: Whatever, 'alternative' I just figured people could come up with other ways as well. The alternative is for us to not play (or buy) the game at all. Telltale's call I suppose

Well, strictly speaking, Telltale is in the right - they never claimed to support Linux in any way, so discussing methods of... questionable legitimacy is something they're entitled to not allow. No need to get all huffy. The fact that it works on Linux (and I've played every single Sam & Max and SBCG4AP episode to date - they've all played through 100%) is good for us, but don't whine and bitch at the Telltale people because they're not supporting you the way you want. In short - be nice(r).

• @TMM said: Telltale's call I suppose

I think that there's a plan (at some stage) to update the launcher to something that does work for us is a bit of encouragement.

I think that a positive attitude about it all is much more likely to make our chosen operating system a potential target platform than a negative one. I'm wholly disgruntled that Linux isn't a priority, but if you look through the forums, you can see that even though it's not supported, there's people at TellTale who are excited that we've been able to get it running. Little steps.

Add Comment