User Avatar Image

Repeat Voice Actors

posted by Meaning on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

Was anyone else bothered in this episode hearing both "Lee" (now Bluebeard with a transparent accent) and "Clementine" (small frog boy) in a new game? Surely this isn't an issue for people who haven't played TWD, but these were the two major characters of the last game, now relegated to cameos in a totally different world. What, does TTG only know 20 VA's? I just found that it was distracting and contributed to a sub-par installment. Anyone else think they should keep their hands off the major characters from their other games in a more serious effort towards immersion?

68 Comments
  • telltale use the same voice actors in thier games all the time. it's like with anime dubb compnays they just like useing the same ones as they work fine.

• I actually didn't even notice Clementine, but Bluebeard was really distracting.

• Actually Bluebeard more fit for that voice.

• I don't understand. Many companies that work on video games or animation use the same voice actors. Why would they bar an actor from ever appearing in any of their other productions simply because they voiced a main character one time? That doesn't make sense to me. :/ Why not employ an actor who did good work before?

Also, there are plenty of people who never played The Walking Dead. And, there are also a lot of people who do recognize the voices and aren't bothered by it. I did recognize them, and I liked that fact about it. It made me smile when I heard Dave Fennoy as Bluebeard. :) He has a great voice.

• Like I said, it won't likely be an issue for people who didn't play TWD. Now, why wouldn't a company employ the same actor who has done good work in another role before? Well, simply, because it's a different role. I think the Bluebeard rendition here exemplifies this. I thought Mr. Fennoy was superb as Lee, but even though he's a good voice actor, I found this most recent role to be dreadfully ill-suited to his particular skill set. He has such a clear voice that to muddy it with an indeterminable accent seems a crime, and a role more suited to someone else's strengths.

I see your point though. Brad Pitt was excellent in the movie Se7en. The director of that movie, David Fincher used him several more times in suitable roles such as Fight Club, because he is a good actor. My point is that David Fincher wouldn't have used him in, say, "The Social Network," because although he's a good actor, there isn't a good place for a Brad Pitt in that movie. Can you imagine Pitt playing the Winklevoss twins? It would be amusing, but unprofessional from a director's standpoint. "Lee"'s Fennoy just didn't seem suitable here as Bluebeard; I honestly found it laughable, and think Telltale might like to do a better job placing not just good VA's in roles, but good VA's in the right roles.

• Now, why wouldn't a company employ the same after who has done good work in another role before? Well, simply, because it's a different role.

I'm sorry. I just don't see this as a reason to not employ an actor. If that were the case, then no actor would ever appear in more than a few things. And in the world of voice acting, a small group of actors voicing a large group of characters is not uncommon at all.

I think the Bluebeard rendition here exemplifies this. I thought Mr. Fennoy was superb as Lee, but even though he's a good voice actor, I found this most recent role to be dreadfully ill-suited to his particular skill set.

Ah, well, I respectfully disagree with you on that. I thought he was spot on as Bluebeard. I've read the comics for close to 10 years and the voice that I heard in my head was very similar to the voice that he does for the character. I know that's a matter of opinion, though. But, for me it works.

• I thought he had an accent before but I really didnt hear any this time. I think Dave Fennoy's voice fits the look and mannerism of Bluebeard extremely well but YMMV.

• I actually enjoy it because it brings back memories, Besides people want Lee back and well unfortunately this is as close as they are gonna get

• No, thats ridiculous. They use a lot of the same voice actors because they're reliable. Melissa Hutchinson also voices Beauty. It doesnt take me out of it at all.

• I disagree with you, and also, were you not bothered by Gavin Hammon as Beast and the Magic Mirror, or Melissa Hutchinson as Beauty? I also believe that Roger Jackson, who played Chuck in TWD, voiced Crane or maybe Colin in E1. I forget who.

• Dave Fennoy has the Badass Baritone thing down pat and Melissa Hutchinson has proven that she can voice kids in a way that doesn't make people want to strangle them. Rare talents there. So why go for someone else?

I do get why it might be distracting when the voices are so similar though. The voices do fit the characters but I can see why you might think it doesn't if you can't help but hear Lee in there.

• Dave Fennoy's voice fits perfectly for Bluebeard. I don't try to hear Lee when I am listening to him.

Add Comment