User Avatar Image

Maniac Mansion / Day of the Tentacle

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 3.4K users

Alongside Sam & Max Hit the Road, these were my favourite games ever. Its yet another franchise I think LucasArts neglect. Who would like to see Telltale work some episodic magic on the Maniac Mansion series if Sam & Max is successful?

Some 3D art to give you an idea of what it could be like:

http://www.christerb.com/?page_id=21

Tom

176 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Ever since the episodic approach of "Sam & Max" got announced, I thought that "Day of the Tentacle" (or "Maniac Mansion" respectively) would lend itself perfectly for sitcom-like episodic games. In fact that's just what the guys over at Maniac-Mansion-Mania.de are doing. Reviving the series with the different episodes having different protagonists every time (like Dave in MM and Bernard in DOTT) wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Reviving a classic like Sam and Max is fine and all, but I'd rather see some original games come out. There are some amazing storytelling and design possibilities yet to be explored. I want to play adventure games and go "wow, that's a story that's going to stick with me". Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Curse of Monkey Island, The Last Express... those games stuck with me, and although revisiting them in extensions of those games is great fun, that nostalgia still pales in comparison to being floored by a completely original, completely brilliant design/tale.

Don't get me wrong, there should still be tributes to the classics and updates, but that is only half the equation.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Reviving a classic like Sam and Max is fine and all, but I'd rather see some original games come out. There are some amazing storytelling and design possibilities yet to be explored. I want to play adventure games and go "wow, that's a story that's going to stick with me". Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Curse of Monkey Island, The Last Express... those games stuck with me, and although revisiting them in extensions of those games is great fun, that nostalgia still pales in comparison to being floored by a completely original, completely brilliant design/tale.

Don't get me wrong, there should still be tributes to the classics and updates, but that is only half the equation.[/quote]

i agree with all my heart !!!!!
    i want some new and original stories !!!
    they should be in the vein of those old stories with wacky, absurd
    and total outrageous humor, maybe even more mature
    (monty python ?) and some good art-style. I dont care if it's 2D or 3D.....
    2D still could have its place in adventure games. use the gpu-power for antialiasing and really detailed art as opposed
    to the more clinical, shiny, sterile lookin 3D-art of today.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Hey! Those are very cool 3D images! You should work at TELLTALE! Like, SERIOUSLY MAN!

Woop!

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'd rather have full throttle. Day Of the Tentacle more of a stand alone game. Everything about it is classic and if a new one was made, complaining for mass destruction would follow.

To avoid it being the same game it would have to be completely different.
    It's like giving a sequel to a Tim Burton film (Nightmare, Sleepy Hollow). It won't work unless it's a rehash.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I'd rather have full throttle. Day Of the Tentacle more of a stand alone game. Everything about it is classic and if a new one was made, complaining for mass destruction would follow.

To avoid it being the same game it would have to be completely different.
    It's like giving a sequel to a Tim Burton film (Nightmare, Sleepy Hollow). It won't work unless it's a rehash.[/quote]

The major characters of Day of the Tentacle are alive at the end of the game. Maniac Mansion III would probably not deal with a crazed tentacle taking of the world, but it would probably feature much of the same humour, style and characters. It's not like there's some central theme that would be undermined if a sequel was created. Since the first game was just the mansion, the second was about the mansion in different eras, I suppose the third one would be about the mansion in various parallel universes. There'd be a pretty good story to eke out of that premise.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

To be perfectly factual, DOTT is not really a stand-alone game, because it's a sequel...

For what it's worth, I actually think DOTT is a better game than Sam & Max Hit the Road. It's not nearly as funny, of course, but... Well, it's kind of like comparing Lord of the Rings to Airplane, if you know what I mean.

Although the Sam & Max revival has far more potential than a DOTT revival, don't get me wrong. Not that we can't have both.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]To be perfectly factual, DOTT is not really a stand-alone game, because it's a sequel...

For what it's worth, I actually think DOTT is a better game than Sam & Max Hit the Road. It's not nearly as funny, of course, but... Well, it's kind of like comparing Lord of the Rings to Airplane, if you know what I mean.

Although the Sam & Max revival has far more potential than a DOTT revival, don't get me wrong. Not that we can't have both.[/quote]

Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max were definitely not as dissimilar as Lord of the Rings and Airplane. Not even close.

As for which one's better, I think Day of the Tentacle more varied settings, three different characters, and slightly more sensical puzzling made it the better game. But you're right. I'd rather have a Sam and Max follow up, because I think the duo are among the most delightful ever conceived.

• [quote]To be perfectly factual, DOTT is not really a stand-alone game, because it's a sequel...[/quote]

It's a stand-alone game! I played it before playing Maniac Mansion, and didn't suffer one bit for it. Aside froma couple f in-jokes there's really nothing in MM that's needed to be known to play / enjoy DOTT.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

DOTT is what made the series popular. MM would be just an old game that not as many poeple would remember if it wasen't for DOTT.

Everything would be compared to DOTT instead of Maniac mansion if a 3rd game was conceived. I just can't see it working.

Plus the original voice actor's would most definatly not return causing mass hysteria.
    I cringe thinking about someone imitating the characters. Especially Lavern.

Add Comment