User Avatar Image

Other platforms

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 624 users

Just wanted to know if TellTale is thinking of making their games for other platforms as well? Linux and Mac OS (X) for example? I can tell you a few good reasons why that would be a good idea, but first I'd just like to know if TT is even interested in something in this direction. (that, and the fact that I have to study for my next exam!)

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

They're probably just busy working on their first game.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Hi hook.

Sorry for the delayed response. As THM guessed, we've been kinda busy. ;) However, we do appreciate the questions, and are digging the forum activity!

I love linux - as a matter of fact, I have a couple linux boxes as servers. Linux rocks.

As with most companies, whether or not we create a Linux-based game will be based on the cold hard economics of the endeavor. At this point we're focused on getting the first game out and making the company financial viable - you guessed it, that means windows, and possibly console. To the chagrin of all of us Linux users, the install base isn't as big.

If we have the time and resources, we'd love to see how the Linux community takes to our products. We're not ruling it out, we just have to make sure we can feed the team, and our families first. Those folks eat A LOT! [>:D<]

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I think that, generaly, porting a PC game to a console is a bad idea. Normaly one of the versions is lacking. If you design a game for a computer (it's fine to port to other OS) and move it to a console, something is almost always lost. You can always tell when a game has been made for XBOX and has been ported to something like PS2. It's because of the systems capabilities. In some areas it is evident for OS. Like with EXE's. You can never run them on a Mac, but you find them left right and centre on a Windows. That is why it is important to make sure when porting that you have lost the mininmal amount of quality. It is similar with different languages. Watch.

I wrote this line and put it through a translation tool in Spainish

Hello all my friends, what a wonderful evening it is.

Then to Spainish

Hola todos mis amigos, una qu� tarde maravillosa es.

and back to English.

Hello all my friends, one what late wonderful is.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Thanks, Troy!

I almost gave up on you guys. I completely understand your economic needs - it's how the world works. For the moment I'm quite content that you're not ruling it out. :D

I hope you read the whole thread, especially cappuchok's posts - his ideas and suggestions are IMO very good and worth considering.

About porting to consoles. I'm not really sure there's a big market for adventure games there (except simple kiddie ones perhaps). I'm not trying to mob or anything. It's just that I really don't see PS or even Xbox users play a Grim Fadango-like game O_o ...it somehow just doesn't add up (plus it sounds a bit perverted :p ...adventures on consoles). Anyhoo, I'm sure you'll make a market research before you make such a big and tedious step.

Good luck with your current project (and hope to see it someday on my Linux box :D)

• User Avatar Image
    Kevin Bloggers

Just out of curiosity, have any of you Linux folks had any experience or luck using DXGL?

reference: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxglwrap/ for more info.

Kevin

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Just out of curiosity, have any of you Linux folks had any experience or luck using DXGL?[/quote]

Since it's still in alpha-state and the guys at v3x.net don't provide any information on what existing games might run on DXGL... I had no luck in getting anything to run on it...

Anyways, I'm no developer, but for the average gamer it's not of interest yet, it seems.

They seem to be very interested in a BeOS-port of Direct3D, which is nice (I really like BeOS), but which isn't a very 'realistic' platform for further developments.

... and the last update to DXGL was in January 2003(!).
    Hmmm...

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

i think the appeal of the game on a console..is everyone has the same console..the problem with games on PCs is everyone has old to new pcs and some cant play new games(this is why i figure pc games just arent doin as well as they used 2) personally i have a fairly new pc and a playstation and id love to buy an adventure game on the ps2 if 1 ever came out.. surely you could just substitute the analog sticks for what you would do with the mouse..yeah it wouldnt be that exciting as far as pressing lots of buttons..but you would still have all the fun of an adventure game..plus console games are such a huge market.. as far as feeding telltale kiddies yeah i think a pc game is the first move they need to make..

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Nope, sorry, no experience whatsoever with DXGL.

All I know about DX is that Egoboo developers ( http://egoboo.sf.net ) had a very very hard time changing the DirectX Egoboo 1 into OpenGL Egoboo 2. I've talked with Ben Bishop (the lead developer of Egoboo) and he said:
    - that if they knew how hard it was to switch from DX to OpenGL, they'd never use DX in the first place
    - you actually learn what a mess DirectX is when you try to change the code to use it with OpenGL
    - that not everything can be cleanly ported from DirectX to OpenGL (and probably vice-versa). - i remember he was refering to some light effects that DirectX made easy, but in OpenGL they needed to be done with "a bit" different approoach.

I don't really understand why people are so hot on DirectX anyway?! But, well, that's just me - a linux end-user.

Just curious - is your first game going to be based on the GrimE engine?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Hello!

I'm a new user of the forum, I've been playing adventures games, since i was 5 years old. I'm a linux user. I just write to say, that I'm very happy to see all that adventure games are not death!!!!!!!!
    I have to say that from my point of view, linux is a game market to be discovered. I'm developing tools to make linux easyer for users (easy but powerfull) and I can say that lot of people dislike windows and want more posibilites. But one of the problems is that there aren't enough games for linux, thats why I think that an intelligent aproximation of the Telltale game to linux (lower costs) will be a good thing.
    Maybe we can discuss in the post how to make economically ok.

Sorry for my english....I'm spanish..

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

(:| i'm getting worried you people are getting stuck on linux, this thread is not just about linux. don't forget about macs, there is a large and growing community of mac users around the world, and for about a year, Escape from Monkey Island was shipped free with all Macs, and people like me bought it too (and to all your Monkey Island purists, it was pretty good too, IMVHO)

Add Comment