I tried relentlessly with 1.0.1 and 1.1.25, but although it did start, it would crash when i changed resolution. So I was stuck as well.
I tried to install into vmware and use their directx 9 emulation but at 1920x1200 on a Geforce 7600 GT, the framerate was terrible on my box (Q6600). I also tried the Codeweavers crossover thingie but that didn't even start the game.
So I'm posting this from Windows 7 while downloading the installer
It's the first time I've installed windows on my workstation in 6 years, but I had no choice
Here's to hoping that this bug gets fixed soon; although i'm not really sure if its related, there's someone in this thread posting the exact same problem: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/332100