In that case, try updating DirectX again, try updating your drivers, and then failing those, try a clean boot:
To Boot Clean in Windows Vista
1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
4. Select the Services tab
5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
6. Click Disable all
7. Click on OK
8. Click Restart.
9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.
After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:
1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
3. Click Ok
4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer