You could try a clean boot first.
Booting clean in Windows XP:
1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
6. Click on the Services tab
7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
6. Click OK
7. Click Restart
8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.
After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:
1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
3. Click OK
4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer
Based on Will's post
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
Driver Date/Size: 7/26/2007 15:18:28, 57344 bytes
Description: Realtek HD Audio output
Date and Size: 8/10/2007 13:52:44, 4603904 bytes
I would also try some new drivers at this point.
What is your exact Toshiba Satellite A200 model?
There are a lot and we could look what drivers Toshiba provides.
Often laptop manufacturers only offer old drivers though and it's worth to try installing the hardware manufacturers reference drivers.
You will probably be able to install the original Realtek HDA Driver
You can try to install the Intel GMA 945 .exe Driver
, but it will probably give you an error message.
In case that happens Intel provides instructions
on how to install the .zip version of that driver