Finished the game, mixed feelings, I so much want to love this game to bits, but there are a few negatives. Negatives that can easily be improved in future episodes, though! I'll just put everything ins spoiler tags to make things easier for me.
+ The art is fantastic
+ Main storyline rocks and had me interested
+ Gameplay elements are spot on
+ Love the creepiness of it all
+ The characters are interesting and natural (albeit especially Nelson is too bland, check out cons)
+ Love, love, love the voice acting! So much better than most other telltale episodes!
+ Enjoyed the difficulty level of many of the puzzles
Cons (I only list the ones that really matter to me):
- The characters are a bit bland. I don't want over the top, but Nelson has really no personality. On one hand he is afraid of the hidden people, on the other hand he is really brave. On one hand he loves the adventure, on the other hand he likes the safety of his office. You can't quite put your finger on what kind of a person Nelson is. The sheriff, the innkeeper and bjorn are the three best characters in the game.
- The ending could use a bit (a lot) more polish. For example Nelson could've been given a smalle team and ordered to set up temporary office at Scoggins to investigate the events further. Then the final scene where you can access unfinished puzzles could be at this new office.
- This was a big negative to me: The puzzles with puzzle pieces (especially the furnace puzzle at the end and the dinner plate puzzle) quite simply suck. Bigtime. All you do is shuffle around pieces and hope for them to stick together. No skill involved but still very tedious, difficult and time consuming. In general there were perhaps too many of these kind of traditional assembling puzzles, but that's understandable for an episodic game - the puzzles can be improved upon.
- Problems with some puzzles made the game seem unpolished:
1) the chair puzzle at the diner, I assembled the correct image perfectly upside down, but it rejected my answer. Had to turn it around
2) the moment of clarity (soundwave) puzzle didn't explain that the soundwave won't pass through an empty slot, so my first solution didn't work
Thats it for the most important parts. I hope this series gets continued and improved upon. There's a lot of potential!
Last edited by Linque; 07/01/2010 at 06:26 am.
Reason: removed hydraulic lift example