When I realized I got the Sam & Max: Season 2 games for the Great Adventure Bundle, I was thrilled! I went out and got the DVD version of season 1, so that I wouldn't see any spoilers by playing Season 2 straight away.
I got home and installed it, tried to run it, and it didn't work. I saw the spinning disc cursor, the DVD began spinning in the player, and then I got an error message saying SamMax101.exe had crashed. I searched around the web for a bit and found out that my disc (JoWooD / The Adventure Company release) wasn't administered by you guys. It was tricky to say the least, to find out that a game by TTS is distributed by TAC and/or JoWooD respectively in different parts of the world.
I found a patch on TAC's site mentioning my problem. (http://www.adventurecompanygames.com...patches/sm.php
I installed it, but the problem remains.
I got to thinking, that I could try the Season 2 games and see if there was any difference. I did, and the only difference is that I now didn't even get any error message. The program just halts execution for some reason. One second it's in the process list, the next it isn't.
I've already mailed JoWooD about Season 1, and I know you're only responsible for support on Season 2, since I bought that from you. But still it would be nice if both issues could be addressed. Especially if they're related. It could be an issue with my computer, for all I know.
I've included the error message (which is in Swedish, but it's just a standard Windows XP crash report anyway) and a DxDiag.txt report (which had to be zipped in order to meet the file size restrictions, unfortunately) which I hope will help solve this.