Originally Posted by Siezemore
So I was able to recover my save-files after I had a similar problem like the threadposter. The fix takes about 5 minutes.
: Game crashed while it was starting up and when I restarted the game after the crash the game had no savefiles of my last gamesession. However, the savefiles were still present in users/my documents/telltale/The Walking dead. The game just did not recognise these files.
What to do:
1. Check if your 'lost' saves are still in your savesfolder (users/my documents/telltale/The Walking dead).
2. Take a backup of this folder.
3. Locate the savefile you want to 'unf**k'. Do this by checking the time of creation. The order the names of the savefiles suggest are not always correct. Take care to at least backup this save. Then delete the whole The walking Dead folder. The game will create a new, empty one if you start it.
4. Start the game and play long enough to have at least one savefile created. Playing until you wake up after the car crash should do.
5. Close the game and download SKTimeStamp (http://code.google.com/p/stexbar/downloads/list
). Install the program.
6. Now locate your NEW savefile. Again, check the creation time. DO NOT think the higher the number in the name, the newer the file is. Right click it and select properties. Select the tab Timestamps. Now do the same with the old savefile that you wish to reinstate. Now change the three timestamps of your old savefile to the exact same values as your new savefile. Click 'apply'
7. Now name your old savefile exactly as the new one. (i.e. Save_2, if your new savefile was named Save_2). Delete your new savefile and replace it with your old, now named exactly the same, savefile.
8. start the game and get Lee killed.
It seems the situation is slightly different when this happens across different episodes. Some fine sleuthing from McHitman47 later in this thread delivered the solution:
SiezeMore and HitMan47 are gods. I love them.
This is so far the only post I found about how to fix the damn thing that was caused for me by a crash, and to get back my saves if prefs.prop gets corrupted and you don't have any previous version of it...
I usually find myself as a grown adult not prone to yell for anything annoying on forums, but you guys from TellTale should definitely question your view of customer service :
1 - Come on...! No way to change keyboard mapping on a PC in 2012??? Seriously? I've now played for 15 hours and still find myself striking "q" instead of "a" because you guys couldn't figure out a proper way to include a "ChangeKeyboardLayout" routine in your framework for stupid europeans like me... But hey, your story is greatly written (if your code is not...) so I felt like I won't complain...
2 - But yesterday, a Crash happened, after 15h of game done, "prefs.prop" file was corrupted, and what can I find on your Forums from you guys from TellTale? A copy/paste answer explaining that there is nothing to do? Come on...
3 - Worse : I eventully finds out that a solution exists to get things done and you guys couldn't figure out a way to stick it on your forum first page or to spread this working solution, or to give people a substitute to get saves reintegrated?
To me this looks like you are not really competent into software development. Nothing bad here, it happens, actually you made a funny game, people could excuse this.
But having people complaining about loosing their progress, while you were selling thousand of copies of every episodes during 8 months and not doing anything or hiring anybody competent to get things done could be interpreted like some kind of a beginning of a slight sign of disrespect.
Maybe you don't care about PC geeks that are always complaining about something, maybe you're right and should stick to selling billions of copy to IPad, Wii, PS3 users, but I'll keep a sour taste in my mouth after saying the word TellTale for the next few days...
Thanks for nothing really...