Okay. I've played through Episode 2 with very little lag and no audio stutter. That's pretty promising to me, from what I've seen on the boards E2 is the worst culprit for lag issues.
What I did:
- cleaned up hard drive, mostly to shrink backup to fit on my USB drive (I deleted any save games I didn't care about & deleted all downloads)
- tried backup, which failed
- booted into safe mode, reset defaults & did file restore (step 2 & 3)
- tried backup again, still failed
- booted into safe mode, again, did database rebuild (step 4)
- tried backup ... This time it worked
- re-downloaded and installed The Walking Dead
- played on without issue
So, it looks like Sony's bad HDDs are at least partly to blame.
North American Playstation 3 Slim (about 2 years old)
Playstation is original, not modded
About 120 GB Total Space
About 80 GB Free Space (after cleanup)
Rough guess of about 100 hours of playtime.
North American PSN Account (no PS+ subscription)
The Walking Dead Game/Season Pass downloaded via PS store
p.s. So glad I got it working. Episode 2 was insane, I'm anxiously downloading 3 - 5 now!
p.p.s. Telltale, please don't lock your save game files. Locked save files is one of the most frustrating & ridiculous things I came across while trying to backup my my PS3 in case I needed to do a full format. Thanks.
Last edited by Kahlusha; 12/20/2012 at 02:41 pm.
Reason: corrected safe mode step numbers