Menu
User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead episode 2 not working black screen with axe item

posted by TRANDO101 on - last edited - Viewed by 29.1K users

Ok don't get me wrong its an awesome game but this bug is driving me CRAZY:mad: and i don't know what to do, i've tried ctrl+alt, ctrl+q, ctrl+alt+esc, ctrl+esc, i deleted and re downloaded the game, and deleting files. NOTHING has worked for me so far nothing at all, theirs so many forums about glitches and such . To be honest they may as well have made this another "Jurrasic Park" game because just like this its barely playable just in different was, T.W.D with its glitches, JP with its very bad touch screen and over all controls and boring game play.

If Telltale could help me and others with these glitches it would bring great satisfaction to me and others. And if WTD was fixed it would be like one of the greatest games of all time, no joke

211 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That worked! Thanks so much! Crazy.

• So while your fix worked and let me resume play, I've run into another issue but not one that stops me from enjoying the game.

Once I started into episode 2, everything worked smoothly. I did not play through the entire episode but quit and took a break in the middle. When I went back to play again, the load screen said I was still on episode 1 from an earlier date. I decided to see what happened when I loaded the game up and even though there were no chapters to rewind to, the game did take me back to my last saved place in the middle of episode 2.

What do you think about this? Do you have any ideas how I can fix this? I moved the files like you suggested, so I did not change anything. I only played through about half of episode 2.

Thanks again!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@stevied130 said:
    What do you think about this? Do you have any ideas how I can fix this?

I am not sure what causes it. It is possible that the extra prefs.prop came back. If you run the support tool again i can check for that.

• looks like even more:

-rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 17 22:37 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop.orig
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop.orig.1363473553
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 26K Mar 17 22:37 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 17:14 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.bak
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.orig
    -rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 13K Mar 16 18:39 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop.orig.1363473553

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Most are backup copies from the earlier workaround though.
    Only those which are named pref.prop without any extras are actually used by the game, so there's two active ones again. The other ones can be manually deleted if not needed as a backup anymore, but they won't do harm.

-rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 24K Mar 17 22:37 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/The Walking Dead/TheWalkingDead.app/Contents/Resources/Pack/default/prefs.prop

-rw-r--r-- 1 sld staff 26K Mar 17 22:37 /Users/sld/Library/Application Support/Telltale Games/TheWalkingDead/prefs.prop

This time the file in the steam folder is smaller, so i would try keeping the other one.

Please try running this script. I adapted it so it renames the steam prefs.prop in order to inactivate it.

• I am on MACOSX- 10.6.8 and I have a similar problem, only, all my choices are intact, I can even see the "previously on the walking dead" cut-scene. Once it is done though, I get a loading screen followed by THE black screen with the sound of some walkers and ambience in the background.. I kept the game running for almost 10 mins before I "Command+Q"ed it. Tried restarting and even changing/renaming the "prefs.prop" file etc, lost my preferences and choices and then eventually the same black screen with the walker sounds in the background. Please help me FIX this.

Thank you.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@vypers said: I am on MACOSX- 10.6.8 and I have a similar problem, only, all my choices are intact, I can even see the "previously on the walking dead" cut-scene.

Please follow the instructions to run the Support Tool and attach the resulting "support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@vypers said: support_data_mac.zip

You installation files look weird.
    Where did you buy the game?

• At Landmark store in India. Bought it a while back, didnt play it as I wanted to watch the "TV show first". Even though they're not related.

Add Comment