User Avatar Image

TWD:Game won't start

posted by Ballin_Stalin on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

I purchased the Walking Dead earlier today and I have been having issues starting the game. Whenever I launch it, the game starts to load but closes within a few seconds and "TheWalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" appears. I purchased the game through Steam, if that matters. I also ran the TWD support tool, the results are here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mihp5o

16 Comments
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

The game crashes because steam is running in vista compatibility mode.

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode and "run as admin" settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works.

If the method mentioned above didn't work, you can try disabling it in the registry. Then restart the computer and try running the game again.

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB

There's a chance the game will still crash afterwards, because your integrated graphics chip doesn't meet the minimum requirements.
    Intel graphics chips are not recommended and they don't work well with TTG's games.

Should it still crash please run the support tool again, so i can see if it's the graphics or another issue.

• Hi there,

I am sure if I spent hours reading the multitudes of post in various threads regarding this problem I may see a solution but I haven't the time or patience.

Basically I have bought The Walking Dead game for pc (nothing to do with steam). I am running Windows Vista. The game does not work. d3dx9.41.dll file is apprently the issue. I have checked my Direct x version is 11 and im pretty sure this game sould be functional on a laptop nowhere near as good as the one im using. So wtf is wrong with this game? Have you guys thought about a downloadable patch to fix this amateur problem or is it a case of product recall since the game doesnt work?

Kind Regards,

Mick.

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

Normally the game asks you to update directX, but if that failed for any reason, you can get that error message. DirectX is modular, and having DirectX 11 doesn't mean you have the earlier version the game uses.
      Please run the DirectX updater to get the missing files.

• thanks DjNDB, rapid response & it's sorted the problem out :)

• I'm an amateur, please tell me where to change compatability mode??

• hi guys,

sorry was a little premateur with response, I can access the game now but there is only a black screen with the option buttons, no graphics seem to be working. Also the mouse cursor is invisible so whilst I can hit the option buttons the only way to do it is by guessing where the mouse is at.

Cheers,

Mick.

• Im having similar issues, game crashes on start up. Pretty certain my computer meets the requirements and it said I have the correct direct x version. Ran the TWD tool - http://www.sendspace.com/file/6dptom

• User Avatar Image
      DjNDB Moderator

Problem signature:
      P1: WalkingDead101.exe
      P2: 2012.4.23.11302
      P3: 4f95f664
      P4: WalkingDead101.exe
      P5: 2012.4.23.11302
      P6: 4f95f664
      P7: c0000005
      P8: 0017a090

Does it crash directly after the "click to continue" screen?
      What's the exact Model specifier of your notebook?

Please try if the game works if you disconnect from the internet. Make sure all Network adapters are disabled.

• Thanks a lot, that did the trick.

Add Comment