Menu
User Avatar Image

Wii Tales of Monkey Island almost unplayable

posted by Surf314 on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users

I just got the wii version so me and my wife can enjoy it together and it is terrible. It is extremely laggy, sometimes I only hear audio and the video freezes, it chugs between scenes and other stuff, and graphically it's a complete mess.

Please tell me I have a corrupt download or something and this isn't what the wii product is supposed to be like. If it is where can I get a refund? I really want to play these games so I will just get the PC version instead if this is really how the game is on the Wii.

66 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Thanks, Will! I'm heartened to know Telltale is working to avoid the same issues with 102, especially in regards to sound.

• I just finished up Episode 1 and I, too, was disappointed in the game's performance. Enough to recommend friends avoid the game on the Wii (though I strongly recommend it on PC, the game is phenomenal).

I'm glad to hear that TellTale is working to fix these problems for the future, but I don't believe I'll be playing future titles on the Wii; I'll wait to see if they come to Mac or 360 (my other two available platforms).

• To the developers, though the performance did disappoint me, I personally didn't find the game unplayable. I'm glad y'all didn't cut any of the audio. I agree that keeping it in was the right choice to make.

Regarding the frame-rate and hitching, I know y'all are working on it. While part of me wishes you'd waited the couple more weeks required to fix the problems for 101, I understand the desire/need to go ahead and get it out there.

In the end, please don't be discouraged by any of us. You folks are working hard to entertain us. I appreciate that.

And thanks again for entertaining us by bringing us the first new Monkey Island game in almost a decade. It's great so far. Looking forward to 102.

• After the technically poorly wii version of this monkey island I decided to skip the game.

"An iPhone is much more powerful than a Wii, even"

This statement is ridiculous. After this stupid statement I decided to skip telltale games at all. Perhaps telltale needs more powerfull programmers?

• @PariahKing said: Is the PC version going to be affected by making it different so it ports to the Wii better...?

@PariahKing said: Not noticeably, no

I'm guessing they'll be leaving some dialogue on the cutting room floor this time, perhaps. But we won't notice it because it's already gone.
    I wonder if Wii space limitations are the reason for the totally superfluous dialogue tree in the first conversation with Nipperkin on the beach...

I'm glad Telltale is working on a solution. Hopefully any changes they're making to 102 really will be unnoticeable. It'd be nice to have an episode or two on my Wii--I prefer the couch to my computer chair any day.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@bobhobbit said: I'm guessing they'll be leaving some dialogue on the cutting room floor this time, perhaps. But we won't notice it because it's already gone.

There is another solution. Forget about the limited space for voices while designing the game, and use the subtitles for Text-To-Speech instead on Wii.
    Saves a lot of space, and might even sound cleaner. :D

Nah, that's just my sarcastic kind of humor. ;)

• @trurl said: After the technically poorly wii version of this monkey island I decided to skip the game.

"An iPhone is much more powerful than a Wii, even"

This statement is ridiculous. After this stupid statement I decided to skip telltale games at all. Perhaps telltale needs more powerfull programmers?

Actually it depends on how you see it, the iphone graphics processor clearly is less powerful but you have more ram than on the Wii, and the iphone clearly has more storage space than the wiiware imposed limit :D
    (Having a wii btw. myself and love it for what it is a nice littly fun system)

If you skip TTGs at all you miss a lot of fun. One mans opinion does not reflect the entire companies views on the issue,btw. everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

• @DjNDB said: There is another solution. Forget about the limited space for voices while designing the game, and use the subtitles for Text-To-Speech instead on Wii.
    Saves a lot of space, and might even sound cleaner. :D

Nah, that's just my sarcastic kind of humor. ;)

Too late that was done already in 1985

• so I guess there is no hope for a patch (or a redownload update) of ep 1?

• While I wouldn't say there is no hope for a patch, I will say that the odds are pretty low. I, being a lowly QA lead, don't know of how we *would* fix these issues, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

This discussion has been closed.