Menu
User Avatar Image

Why do you love the "darkness" so much?

posted by Kroms on - last edited - Viewed by 698 users

I get that pirates need to have a certain brutality about them, so I wouldn't be surprised if an MI game had keelhauling, but why is everyone so obsessed with the atmosphere being so dark? Is it because SMI and MI2 started out at night?

There's nothing wrong with sunshine and a bright atmosphere, or dark for that matter. You can do either and still retain that piratey feel.

Then you get something like "Chapter four made it good and dark.*" That's a quote, one of many. Why this obsession with dark? You end-up looking a lot like this:

(*I'm aware the thread refers to EMI, but it's the part in italics that matters.)

345954033_mmTwJ-L-2.jpg

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Voodoomaster said: Absolutely they were'nt !

Example of MI2's cartoony art style:
    govphatt.jpg

There's dozens of other examples.

• I think Secret of Monkey Island and Lechuck's Revenge had a unique ability to realistically pull off both. The games weren't really full-on cartoon like Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max, but they also weren't quite as realistic as even the LucasArts Indiana Jones games. It mostly stradled the line, but was able to go in either direction fairly effectively without breaking the overall atmosphere.

• @Bobbin said: Example of MI2's cartoony art style:
    govphatt.jpg

There's dozens of other examples.

You can me show dozens and thousands of cartoon art styles in Monkey Island. But remains that Mi is a game in which story and characters are in the middle way between cartoony and dark-reality. You can't say to me that was full-cartoony games, because neither Gilbert or Grossmann think this thing about THEIR CREATION...

• Yeah I think there's more to darkness than murdering prostitutes or a lack of light, and more to cartoony-ness than being drawn like a comic...

SoMI/LCR weren't S&M style, no, but they also weren't epics written by Alighieri. Cartoonyness and an element of darkness aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. The cool thing about MI is that it's been able to spend its time (when it hit the money) getting across a serious story and an element of danger for the character, whilst still making it a comedy at heart.

• @Pale Man said: MI1 and 2 were entirely cartoony. I'm sick of going into details and posting examples of this, but please stop acting like they were so dark and gritty.

I've already told that this may be unintentional due to graphics limitations of the time, which made the graphics looked more "serious" than it was intended.
    Anyway, it LOOKED more serious to me.
    And I've NEVER EVER been scared by CMI and EMI as I was in the MI2 finale.
    That's a fact. ;)
    I wanted that sentation back and Telltale is at least trying to recover it through the screenplay.

• It's probably because a lot of people think Monkey Island 2 is by far the best Monkey Island game, which was way more serious than any of the other Monkey Island games.

And if you never found the end of MI2 to be scary, then you have probably never played it when you were young. Doom was piece of cake compared to running away from LeChuck....

@Pale Man said: MI1 and 2 were entirely cartoony. I'm sick of going into details and posting examples of this, but please stop acting like they were so dark and gritty.

Monkey Island's strength in my opinion was the ability it had to be downright silly and witty and at the same time, or moments later serious and "dark and gritty". I'm sure people are sick and tired of posting details and examples of the opposite of what you mean as well. Play the game again, and look past the low resolution and cartoon graphics.

People posting old screenshots and saying: "Look, it's cartoony and it is low res! It didn't look anything like *insert modern shooter here*", doesn't really understand the magic of games and good stories I guess. :)

• Lechuck had green blood, you pull his mask off like an episode of Scooby Doo (in the context of a massive and blatant Star Wars reference), and to solve the puzzle you have to give him a massive wedgie. Please tell me how this scares anyone and how it is meant to be taken seriously.

• Between the discussion on "darkness" and the well-recognized namesake in the game, Morgan LeFlay, I think I should perhaps post a link to Mordred's Lullaby.

• The intro to MI2 and Scabb Island is all the example you need of what a Monkey Island should be.

• @Pale Man said: Lechuck had green blood, you pull his mask off like an episode of Scooby Doo (in the context of a massive and blatant Star Wars reference), and to solve the puzzle you have to give him a massive wedgie. Please tell me how this scares anyone and how it is meant to be taken seriously.

True.
    AND... you take his limbs off.
    AND... Guybrush is really suffering from the voodoo doll.
    AND... you visit Monkey 1's alley.
    AND... nothing in the ending is making any sense.

Believe it or not, the complete schizophrenia of the content scared the **** out of me. :p
    I don't think we're thanking Telltale for being "dark". I think we really want to thank them for their ability to surprise us again.

Add Comment