Menu
81 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @[TTG said: Yare;337653']It's hilarious to see all the kids who think that Professor Layton invented the solve-puzzles-in-GUI-to-advance type game.

This series is one of the main reasons I tended toward math/logic/programming growing up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Dr._Brain

HOW DARE THEY RIP OFF PROFESSOR LAYTON. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE. THEY- what's that? Dr. Brain came out 17 years before Layton?

Ah.

Well then.

Clearly there's a connection in The Time Warp of Dr. Brain, wherein he traveled forward in time to rip off Professor Layton. Professor Layton invented hints after all.

• @Yadda said: Just a side-note...

Will people quit calling it 'Grinkle' already?!

It's GRICKLE. Geez.

It's not my fault I can't spell... well it is but.. SHUT UP!!!

• I'd give the game a 6 or 7. Promising but lots of room for improvement. I think I remember seeing a spelling error in one of the text bubbles, which made me chuckle.

• Now that I've actually had a chance to play the game, I can actually speak to the quality of the puzzles...

...and it turns out most of my fears about unabstracted chestnut puzzles were unfounded. There were a lot of quality puzzles, I had to put my mind to work often, and even the puzzles that I had seen before were presented in such a way to make them at least slightly interesting again. For example, I knew the Moose Ear Sign puzzle answer after 5 seconds, but it still had a neat, obscuring presentation.

The sock puzzle, though, remains my least favorite because (as stated before I played the game) it doesn't present itself in an original way at ALL, nor does it even try to connect itself to the plot. I can't remember for sure, but I don't even think the character picking out socks is the same character that you get the puzzle from.

Did I have any other problems with the puzzles? Just minor quibbles...as stated in other threads, a few puzzles were a bit ambiguous. The main offender was the puzzle in the alley where you had to guide the stream. I ran into the same problem that everyone else ran into: I assumed that you didn't need to fill every outlined square.

Also, this isn't really a problem with the *game* per se, but I am a lover of puzzles like Sudoku, Nurikabe, Slither Link, etc...logic puzzles with one unique solution. The benefit of such puzzles is that, when you're right, you know you're right. Several of the puzzles in Puzzle Agent were of the type "Find the minimum solution" which are all well and good, but it's pretty darn hard to prove that the solution you have is the minimum one. It's leads to moments of trepidation, your hand hovering over the submit button unsure of whether you should press.

A good puzzle, to me, gives you a feeling of satisfaction because you know you've solved it. A "minimum solution" puzzle *might* provide satisfaction, but for me they primarily either provide worry and then disappointment, or worry and then relief.

Overall, great game, and the puzzles were significantly better than I feared.

• Lordkinbote, did you know the answer to the moose ear sign puzzle from "The Simpsons"? Who else other than me instantly remembered that episode where Lisa can't figure out the puzzle so she thinks she is dumb?

• @browen said: Lordkinbote, did you know the answer to the moose ear sign puzzle from "The Simpsons"? Who else other than me instantly remembered that episode where Lisa can't figure out the puzzle so she thinks she is dumb?

I totally know what you're talking about, but I've seen it so many times other than in that episode that it didn't cross my mind. I like to give it to my math students when we're studying patterns.

• @[TTG said: Yare;337653']This series is one of the main reasons I tended toward math/logic/programming growing up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_Dr._Brain

The Island of Dr. Brain was a favorite for me. Programming the robot was so much fun back then.

• I like how they act like Professor Layton invented the genre.

• @browen said: Lordkinbote, did you know the answer to the moose ear sign puzzle from "The Simpsons"? Who else other than me instantly remembered that episode where Lisa can't figure out the puzzle so she thinks she is dumb?

Right here.

Add Comment