Menu
User Avatar Image

JAM: January Animation Month - Make 31 Animations In January

posted by Jennifer Moderator on - last edited - Viewed by 13.1K users

I have participated in NaNoWriMo and FAWM, and I wished there was a similar thing for my biggest love: animation. So, the JAM was born!

I know there's people here who enjoy making animations, so I thought I'd see if anyone wants to join me. I'll try it regardless if I have anyone joining me, but it would be a lot more fun to have other people joining in the fun. :)

I started up a simple page for the JAM on my website, here. Like the other challenges like this, it's just for fun, there's no prizes, and there's only one challenge: to make 31 animations in the 31 days of January. It doesn't have to be an animation a day, you can make as many animations a day as you want. The animation can be flash, traditionally animated, stop-motion, CGI, animated gif or whatever you wish. They can be 1 second long or they can be 20 minutes long. It's up to you. Just remember the goal is to make 31 animations in 31 days, so use your own judgement so you don't burn yourself out.

So, anyone here feel like joining in on the fun? :D

163 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Just call it the Summer Animation Month. Problem solved!

• If we have SAM, then I'd want MAX, too. Hmmm, Month of Animation eXtravagance? Nah, there's gotta be something better than that.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

Well, it's that time of year again. :) I now have enough bandwidth on my website to host a forum, so I was going to host JAM exclusively there this year. But I owe the success of the event to this forum, so it wouldn't feel right not to have it here too. So, if you want to join in this year, you can join in on the fun this year in this forum, at my website's forum, or at the Double Fine forums. Triple the choices, triple the fun!

So, since I decided to join in on the One Game a Month challenge this year, my animations this year will be related to the game(s) I'm making. Here's the first one, for the main character in the opening credits of my first game, an adventure game created for ScummGen based on an obscure meme from The International House of Mojo:

Just a janitor

• In reply to Jennifer

Well, it's that time of year again. :) I now have enough bandwidth on my website to host a forum, so I was going to host JAM exclusively there this year.

link

Your website isn't working for me. It has the appearance of one of those sites that has taken over a domain name and just has spam links on it.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    In reply to WarpSpeed

Your website isn't working for me. It has the appearance of one of those sites that has taken over a domain name and just has spam links on it.

link

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

It turns out that if my site has less than 5 visitors in a month, they deactivate it. That seems like a pretty awful thing to do when your website is a paid account, rather than one of their free ones. :/

I just re-activated it, so hopefully it should show up fine again.

• In reply to Jennifer

Thanks for pointing that out to me. It turns out that if my site has less than 5 visitors in a month, they deactivate it.

link

Can't get to to other forums. Anyways I have a late start this Time cause i wasn't planning on doing it in Janurary but I said " Why the heck not. So i'm gonna start Sunday and start . Hope Fully i can catch up. My Deviant and Tumblr http://storyboardist.tumblr.com/ http://deda123.deviantart.com/

• In reply to Jennifer

Thanks for pointing that out to me. It turns out that if my site has less than 5 visitors in a month, they deactivate it.

link

I also can access your site now but not the forum area. They must have suspended your database, too. That's a really obnoxious thing for them to do when you're paying for an account.

If you were trying to link an image in your earlier post in the forum, it didn't show up for the rest of us.

• I saw an image of a janitor type character at the bottom of the first post when I last visited this thread. Seems to be gone now though.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Starcandy wrote:
    Can't get to to other forums. Anyways I have a late start this Time cause i wasn't planning on doing it in Janurary but I said " Why the heck not. So i'm gonna start Sunday and start . Hope Fully i can catch up. My Deviant and Tumblr http://storyboardist.tumblr.com/ http://deda123.deviantart.com/

Welcome! Always great to see a new person take part in the JAM! :)

Thanks everyone for pointing out the problems with my server. I've switched webhosts, and I've been moving over my files and databases from one server to another. Everything should be working fine now, though I'm now quite behind now on my game because of it. I don't have anything to do today, so I'm going to work on doing all of the intro animations that I can, and then if I have time, programming the SCUMM logic for them.

I'll be sure to post everything I have done once that time comes. :)

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

So, I got three more done today, which brings me up to four (which beats my previous low of 3 for JAM 2012). It seems like I win this challenge every other year. Hopefully I'll be able to keep that record going next year. :P

Here's my latest animations. Two of them, plus the janitor earlier are for games I'm making (or re-making) this year, the time flies animation is one that was once again suggested by my mom, she's invaluable in these challenges once I run out of ideas. :)

Gus wavingRob wavingTime Flies

Add Comment