Menu
User Avatar Image

Traditional animation vs. 3D animation...

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 5.6K users

I am not that big of King's quest, but I have seen bits of pieces of the games. The only game of King's quest that I remember playing was the 7th one, and that one was the Princeless Bride. I'm not that big into the animation of that one(Since I dislike it when people mimic the Disney style) but my sister likes it and it reminds her of Don Bluth's style. I know the game is likely to be done in 3D but will there be certain parts of the game that will use 2D? Or even better, used for the cutscenes of the game? It would be sweet if that would happen.

164 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @marirosa said: Look man, I'm not here to burst your bubble, but maybe you're just one of those people who is particular, not everyone is going to agree with you. Tell Tale did a fabulous job with the Monkey Island series, but I'm a hardcore fan of adventures games since they first came out and were text back in the 80's. To step up graphics is a plus and innovative to me. I've played many many adventure games, to name my most favorite: Monkey Island (I've played all of them, never been disappointed.), Kings Quest, Space Quest, Legend of Kyrandia (a huge favorite), Quest for Glory, Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango, and even some games no one's ever heard of. I'm probably the biggest adventure game geek there is and I'd be delighted to see what they can do in 3D, the artwork is fabulous, and I'm saying this from an artist's perspective.
    I've never had a problem with 2-D or 3-D adventure games, I'm simply happy that they actually remake such a great story line and adventure that the game is. Bring it on, I just want my games.

I'd respond to your opinions, but you obviously read my post and decided to reply without reading the entire thread, either that or you just completely misunderstood what I have been saying. This is like the 3rd time! At least protect yourself by saying "I didn't read the entire thread because I'm lazy but...".

• @MusicallyInspired said: So you don't dislike 3D for adventures you just dislike Telltale's approach to it. To that end I'd have to agree wholeheartedly.

Yup.

@MusicallyInspired said: Are you serious? If anything gamers today know to look around everywhere more than ever before. They're used to full 3D worlds like RPG's and FPS's. In fact, most of the frustrations and criticisms by outside players seem to be that they can't explore certain areas and they feel too restricted with the minimal exits in a screen. This is regarding Telltale's games.

Have you ever watched an amateur player play a game that you and I would be familiar with? Holy shit it can get frustrating. Common phrases are: "What do I do, what do I do?", "Where do I go now? I've been everywhere!", "I can't control it, he won't go where I want him to!", "This is too hard" and so on. and as for myself, I have the urge to help, but I want them to solve the problems on their own - that is the point of the game really. Other threads have pointed out that perhaps TTG don't want to alienate a more beginners market, but I firmly believe their engine has actually added problems, not solved them, which I think you agree.

I know 3D has potential, but lets face it, are TTG going to be the first to reach that potential? This is why I'd rather they did KQ in 2D (though to be honest there are SO MANY 2D KQ's now I'm starting to think avid KQ fans would like to see it in 3D, this might be why I'm having a hard time getting my point across).

• I did find my source, it's King's Quest collection manual. It says that remake was widely viewed as a critical failure and many reviewers and gamers took offense, because they thought that Sierra was destroying the classics. And the reception stopped future attempts to modernise rest of the King's Quest games.

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the other remakes, but IIRC they got similar reception. I remember that I read about that topic somewhere years ago, but can't remember where I saw it. I'll post about it, if I remember.

EDIT: Also Space Quest collection manual mentions briefly that Sierra fans don't want them to modernise the old classics.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Again, have you seen the screenshots and gameplay clips of Skyrim?

No interest in it at all if they stuff it with even more effects than Oblivion that are just annoying and look actually horrible.

• @der_ketzer said: No interest in it at all if they stuff it with even more effects than Oblivion that are just annoying and look actually horrible.

I think Skyrim looks great. Exploring Daventry in 3D would be cool, if Daventry is featured :).

• I've actually been replaying Dreamfall the last couple of days and I think it does a fabulous job of doing the full 3D thing in an adventure setting. The battle system is totally unnecessary in the game and the control scheme is a bit wonky at times, but other than those issues I think the game is fabulous.

• @Lambonius said: I can't think of any games that have done this yet--are there any?

Gabriel Knight 3?

• @Lambonius said: Telltale's engine sucks balls when it comes to controlling the character. Seriously, it's just about the worst thing ever designed. The click-drag-move control scheme is absolutely broken any way you look at it. An abomination of video gaming control schemes.

I understand the logic behind it--that traditional point and click doesn't work well in 3D environments with cinematic camera angles like Telltale uses in most of their games, but seriously...someone needs to be slapped for coming up with this control scheme as the solution. Words can't describe how terrible it is. And believe me, I'm trying.

I find Wallace and Gromit, TMI, The Devil's Playhouse, and BttF all excessively easy to control (and I actually find it preferable to point and click), whether I'm using WASD and mouse, gamepad, or click and drag, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that I completely disagree with everything you've said there in every way possible.

• Come on, you have to admit that Marty's run is entirely broken in Back to the Future. That's not a run button, that's an awkward animation and no real noticeable speed change button! It doesn't make sense either, because no other character in any previous game has had their running be so broken.

• @Rather Dashing said: Come on, you have to admit that Marty's run is entirely broken in Back to the Future. That's not a run button, that's an awkward animation and no real noticeable speed change button! It doesn't make sense either, because no other character in any previous game has had their running be so broken.

Honestly, I haven't even played the game enough yet to really notice. I haven't even started the second episode yet.

Add Comment