Menu
User Avatar Image

IGN's Review

posted by KingHorror on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

First Let Me say Telltale, You are Awesome, Being a huge Jurassic Park Fan You guys Really took me back into the Movies and I really am enjoying it so far. (almost done with Ep.2, no issues so far ether) I tell what I really think of it once I find time to finish.:)

IGN on The other hand...Not so much apparently

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212843p1.html

P.S. It does seem like looking back at the previews that Greg(whom I normally like and agree with) Didn't like the game's direction to begin with which is a shame. Anyway Hat's off to Telltale you did a Good Job.

89 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Drowning witch said: That is why fallout 1&2, arcanum, system shock 1&2 ultima series and similar games are surpassed by the majority of modern games when it comes to the extent of defining your own experience.... oh wait, no they're not. ;) And i'm sure older gamers could point out even older gems that make skyrim fell like call of duty of RPG's in comparison.

The pinnacle of the direction of mainstream modern gaming is graphical presentation,ease of accessibility, and franchising, definitely not the extent of interactivity.

I would say that JP is getting low scores because its exploring the medium in a way that mainstream critics aren't equipped to deal with. The medium is not accepted as an art form yet, and in such a position you really can't expect the mainstream critics to be qualified to judge works outside the scope of their limited understanding. JP reviewed by IGN, is like having Einstein's paper submitted for peer review at some college fraternity.

I ended up sounding as pretentious as you, didn't I? :p oh well it is a discussion after all. ;)

Congratulations! You win the most idiotic post of the thread award!

Now Jurassic Park: The Game is high art, and the IGN critic the boorish philistine who simply can't grasp its genius!

My God. I think I actually just got dumber.

• well now you know how I felt reading thom-22's post :D

• I think a free roaming Jurassic Park game would be brilliant and fun.. but maybe not really faithful to the story...

For one... you would need massive mobs of dinosaurs spread all over the island... and as most fans of the books and movies know they were NOT that plentiful.

Plus while it MAY prove to be a great experience I think people wanting something faithful to the source material would be put off on having the T-Rex show up on every area of the Island especially if you had managed to kill it off with you're stolen 90's Ford Explorer during your drive by shooting..

Sure I would totally play that game and probably like it.. but I think there is room for special games like this that are more story focused and less mainstream.... Not all games have to be Skyrim or GTA..

• @Irishmile said: I think a free roaming Jurassic Park game would be brilliant and fun.. but maybe not really faithful to the story...

For one... you would need massive mobs of dinosaurs spread all over the island... and as most fans of the books and movies know they were NOT that plentiful.

Plus while it MAY prove to be a great experience I think people wanting something faithful to the source material would be put off on having the T-Rex show up on every area of the Island especially if you had managed to kill it off with you're stolen 90's Ford Explorer during your drive by shooting..

Sure I would totally play that game and probably like it.. but I think there is room for special games like this that are more story focused and less mainstream.... Not all games have to be Skyrim or GTA..

A modern version of Tresspasser would definitely be great. That game was simply made before the tech was up to speed. It could work nowadays, but obviously, it would never mimic the movie to the extent that this game did.
    That is what makes this game so special for me. It gave me back that magical feeling that the original movie gave me when i was still a kid.

However, I would definitely not complain if rockstar or bethesda made a JP licensed rpg/sandbox game.

• This is the first time I've ever agreed with IGN. Go back to your roots, Telltale. In fact, go back to your ancestry.

A lot of you guys sound as narrow-minded as what you claim the reviewers, gamers, and developers you're insulting are.

• Actually, it's funny how gamespy was mentioned, they actually gave it a more positive review than ign did. I do have to admit even though I don't agree with Greg's review, he did bring up some good points. It would have been nice to feel like a game half the time it felt like a movie instead of more like an interactive movie. The puzzles are too simplistic and not challenging enough, but I guess that comes with limited area to explore without the options to backtrack and the lack of an inventory system. That would have been nice to have. However, I praise the story and voice acting and, of course, the wonderful action sequences. Those dinos look great. The death scenes are a blast to watch too, lol. I can honestly say this game brings out my morbid curiosity. That is one thing I do disagree with: The unintentionally funny death that detracts from the suspenseful immersion. What about when the lawyer got eaten off the toilet? That was actually pretty hilarious to most of us and the scene still manged to capture the suspense. I didn't feel the death scenes were unintentional in their humor and felt it added to the experience which made dying in a game fun for once. But hey, that's just my opinion. I would probably give this game a 7 to 8 out of 10, but am somewhat sad it is almost over already.

• @Drowning witch said: That is why fallout 1&2, arcanum, system shock 1&2 ultima series and similar games are surpassed by the majority of modern games when it comes to the extent of defining your own experience.... oh wait, no they're not.

I think by associating it too closely with RPG gameplay you're distorting the more robust concept of players defining their own gaming experiences. While RPG gameplay is certainly an effective means of giving players choices and greater freedom to play games in their own ways, it's only one of a growing number of such means; the games you list might be your preferred way for personalizing the gaming experience, but I don't see any objective basis for saying that they surpass other kinds of games that use different mechanisms for enabling players to tailor their experiences. In other words, the (lack of) popularity of deep RPGs is hardly appropriate as the sole measure of gamers' desires.

Your point is also kind of silly in that most people will regard the "elite few" of one era as surpassing the majority of any other era, for whatever quality is being judged. The five best movies from the 1950s are better than the majority of movies today. So what. The statement has no bearing on determining whether movies from the 1950s are better, on the whole, than movies of today or vice versa, let alone on the trends that have occurred between then and now.

Incidentally, while I'm aware of the trend toward making RPGs more accessible, this is not necessarily the direct opposite of the trend I'm talking about. In fact, role-playing elements are being increasingly used in non-RPGs -- shooters and other action and hybrid games -- which I would cite as further demonstration (along with popularity of sandbox games and Heavy Rain and non-linearity already mentioned) of the value non-casual players place on choice and gameplay flexibility.

@Drowning witch said: I would say that JP is getting low scores because its exploring the medium in a way that mainstream critics aren't equipped to deal with. The medium is not accepted as an art form yet, and in such a position you really can't expect the mainstream critics to be qualified to judge works outside the scope of their limited understanding. JP reviewed by IGN, is like having Einstein's paper submitted for peer review at some college fraternity.

Oh, please. :rolleyes: The critics aren't bored by this game because it's too intellectually or artistically challenging for them.

• You're comparing the creators of Jurassic Park to Einstein?

• Okay, I enjoyed the story and characters and the QTEs kept me on my toes(which makes sense considering the peril that the characters were in). Good game. I personally enjoyed Back to the Future a little more because I love that franchise more. However, both games have their flaws. Simply put, masterpieces they ain't. I can definitely see someone not liking them. I respect TellTale a great deal for stepping outside their usual boundaries, and I hope that they step up the pace in subsequent installments for JP and BTTF, but I also hope that they take some of the criticisms into account. Heck, if the high-and-mighty Square-Enix can do it, surely so can TellTale.

Add Comment