User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 26.1K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

My dad passed away 15 years ago today. He was a special education teacher and substitute principal who made a point to teach his students (and my sister and I) that differences should be embraced, and I've begun a Kickstarter project to seek funding to create six 11 minute children's cartoons and a children's adventure game in the spirit of the Humongous Junior adventures.

My dad left his greenhouse to his school and his students picked the name and dedicated it "Mr. Mac's Rainbow Greenhouse". The name is going to live on in this project to honor his legacy.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    In reply to Jennifer

My dad passed away 15 years ago today.

My dad passed away 15 years ago

Oh wow, mine too. That was in September though. Technically, 14 and a half years ago.

Good luck with your project!!

• Hello everyone, I am working on a project called Wormhole City and would greatly appreciate your support; thank you for reading:

Wormhole City is a single-player sci-fi adventure game with third-person platforming, racing, puzzle and action elements developed in Unreal Engine 4 for PC. Solve gravity-defying puzzles and gain power-ups through exploration and defeating enemies.

Alt text

• Seven Dragon Saga - a CRPG being developed by some people from SSI, the company that made the "Gold Box" games and some other great D&D CRPGs from the early 90's like Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

Dungeons of Aledorn- a CRPG with first person exploration and isometric tactical combat.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator
    In reply to Vainamoinen

> My dad passed away 15 years ago Oh wow, mine too. That was in September though. Technically, 14 and a half years ago. Good luck with your project!!

@Vainamoinen wrote:
    Oh wow, mine too. That was in September though. Technically, 14 and a half years ago.

Good luck with your project!!

Sorry about missing this post until now, but thanks a lot for your well wishes. And I'm sorry to hear about your father.

It's really hard to believe my dad's been gone for 15 years now. I'm sure that you feel the same.

This project is really special to me, as I want to do something to honor his legacy. He created a new method of teaching special needs students, and was really excited about it, but he died before he could write a book about it, or even tell anyone what it entailed, so I really want to create something to further the teaching through values that he instilled in myself and my sister, as I know he would really like that.

On a brighter note, I'll point out that the character designs come from the current design style of characters that I created in high school called Gus and Rob (a bear and a rabbit, respectively) that I made an adventure game inspired by Sam & Max Hit the Road, which was released on February 15, 1997 (I remember that it was released the day after I promoted the game on my first website, which has helpfully been archived by The game was short, and ended on a cliff hanger, so I've decided to alter the game target of the Kickstarter a bit to continue that game. The original game was created in Klik n Play, and was released in the days when Klik n Play wouldn't let you create executables. So since there was such a large barrier to playing the game since it was released in a KNP format that wouldn't work unless you had a commercial ClickTeam product, the game was never popular. Only 3 people (at least of which I am aware) ever played it, so it was never mirrored anywhere and has been lost to the abyss of the early internet.

I'm working on recreating it (as it will be the first chapter of the adventure), with some added bells and whistles to make it fit the ideas I already proposed in the Kickstarter (lots of background objects to click on, and a selectable level of hints for puzzles). Even though it was inspired by Sam & Max originally, it doesn't have the adult tones of that series, so it will fit the Kickstarter well. I'm also going to have the more children aimed aspects of the game be completely optional so they can be omitted by older children and adults who just want to experience the humor of the game. For instance, in the original game, there's a section of the game where you are yelled at by a construction worker in a Looney Tunes style over the top cartoon fashion. I'll add a bit about getting scared from the yelling to better match the tone of Mr. Mac's Rainbow Greenhouse. In this scenario, when the option isn't chosen to have the children oriented content, older gamers won't get the scene talking about getting scared from the yelling, so the game will be completely enjoyable to them as well.

I'm only 1/20th of the way to my goal on Kickstarter with 2 weeks left, so there's a good chance that it won't make it. If it doesn't make it, I'm still planning on doing the project. It will just take more years to get it done, as I'd have to do it on my free time with my own money, and it's a pretty ambitious project, but it's definitely one that I believe enough in to see it through.

• User Avatar Image
    Blind Sniper Moderator

Tower Unite

I'm not usually a Kickstarter kinda guy, but I thought this Kickstarter seemed cool enough to share. If you guys are familiar with Garry's Mod, you probably heard of that user-created game mode GMod Tower. Well, the team behind that custom game mode is recreating GMod Tower in Unreal Engine 4. If you've played the original GMod Tower mode, then you can probably imagine how exciting it would be for this mode to get it's own standalone game.

This is a pretty big kickstarter made by ex rare employees known as playtonic they are making a banjo kazooie style game as a successor in spirit to banjo kazooie

• Hey, guys. I've just been contacted to work as a music composer for this point and click game. It's on kickstarter, though, which means it needs to reach the money goal in order to actually get made. It would be of great help if you could advertise this campaign on your facebook or twitter pages to spread the word. Thanks in advance!

• LabZeroGames who created Skullgirls is making a ActionRPG on Indiegogo called Indivisible and it has a playable prototype :D

• Greetings! I am currently working on composing the soundtrack for Dr. Muffet, an animated short movie. A lot of love is being put into its creation, so it would be great if you could help us spread the word for this kickstarter :)

Add Comment